Pole Position: Start Here for Common Issues and Questions about 2011+ S60/V60 Models
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Pole Position: Start Here for Common Issues and Questions about 2011+ S60/V60 Models

This thread will serve as a database for everyone's reference regarding some of the better known issues (and fixes) for common problems on 2011+ S60 and V60 models. Please feel free to post up suggestions along with links to relevant threads and I will incorporate suggestions where appropriate in this post. We want this list to be as comprehensive as possible!

General Information
      Sources for Service Bulletins
      Enter your VIN here to check for outstanding recalls on your Volvo
      T5 vs T6: Differences
      T6 vs T6 R-Design: Differences
      Touch-Up Paint Codes and Volvo part numbers

Safe and Secure/Warranty Questions
      CPO Vehicles and Safe and Secure
      Safe and Secure Information for 2013 Volvos

Suspension
      Touring vs Dynamic Suspension
      4C vs Regular Dynamic Suspension
      IPD Sway Bar Upgrade

Drivetrain
      Rough Transmission Downshifts and Software Updates
      The Polestar Upgrade for T6 Models: Information and Review
      Adding "Sport" mode to the transmission - 2011 T6 Owners
      Changing your own oil - 2011 S60 T6

Electronics and Interior
      Wind Noise/Body and Mirror Seal Recall (2011s only)
      Sensus 3.0 Software Update - The Definitive Thread
      Sirius Satellite Radio Reception Issues
      Monitoring Engine Temperature
      Leaks from Windows and Sunroof
      Squeaks and Creaks: Start Here
      Noisy A/C Compressor Recall Information
      Using an iPhone 5 with Sensus
      Interior Cabin Filter Replacement/Writeup

Features
      Adaptive Cruise Control
      Watching DVDs in your S60/V60
      Navigation - using Volvo "MyPOI" Tips and Tricks
      Trailer Hitches and Towing
      Write Up: Factory Trailer Hitch for Volvo S60

Trailer Hitch threads:
      Several readers have installed the Curt Hitch #13266 from etrailer.com or amazon.com. It is a Class 3 hitch with the larger 2-inch receiver for bike racks and trailers.

2012 S60:
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-on-a-2012-S60
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ican-tow-hitch

2013 S60:
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...g-for-2013-S60

2015.5 V60CC
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ns-and-install
      Last edited by DWBF1; 07-01-2014 at 01:30 PM.
      2000 V70 R| 2011 S60 T6 Polestar AWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

DWBF1 you rock! Thanks for the threads.

Our forum has arrived, we have stickies!
      2013 C30 T5 / Polestar Limited Edition / #147 of 250 / 6M / 2-tone leather / Rebel Blue
      2005 S40 T5 / Passion Red / Dynamic Sport / Premium Audio w/Sub / Sculptors / IPD stuff
      In the past: 2016 XC90RD / 2015 S60RD / 2012 S60 T5 - Loved them all!

Thank you! For now, everyone can post up replies and links, but please only for major or common issues (not something like your door panel screw was loose, causing a rattle, or you bought a lemon). This thread's sole purpose is to centralize information that we see several posts per week about. Eventually, I will delete all replies to this thread and lock it to keep information as readily accessible as possible.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks!

Touch up paint with part numbers:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Acc...ent/VCC-424661
      2011 S60 T6, Flamenco Red / Biege, Polestar Tune, JBL MS-8 DSP and sub-woofer;
      2006 XC90 Ocean Race 'Big Blue'; 1998 V70 T5.
      Previous (sold): 95 855 GLT; 98 S70 T5M; 2000 S40.

love it thanks DWBF1 !!!!!!
      2003 mustang COBRA ( SVT 10th anniversary ) born on 6-26-03/ 4634 of 5082 of verts & 955th of 2003 SVT 10th ANNIV edition`s
      2006 s40 2.4i fwd

my new baby!!! black on black 2012 s60 T6 awd

FWIW, if you'd like to stickie...here's the method the Vovlo shop walked me through to clear codes. They forgot to reset after changing the oil today so it was done over the phone. Admittedly, it can be very tricky. This method is without keyless drive. First three steps were recommended to be sure all is clear before starting process.

- Close and lock/alarm the car, can do from inside if desired.
      - Unlock car
      - Open and close door (as if getting in)
      - Place key in ignition
      - Without foot on brake, press and release START (Position 1)
      - Press and hold trip button near tachometer
      - Without foot on brake, press and release START (Position 2) Dash lights will come on and all but one will go out
      - Continue to hold trip button until the "i" starts to flash, release before it the "i" flashes 3 times. If it flashes the 3rd time, the code will not reset - start over. If it doesn't flash at all, start over.
      - When the code clears, one chime will sound - done at this point
      - Start the car and shut down to see if code still appears
      - Exit and lock the car as normal

Don't know if this process clears all codes at once or one at a time or is just for the "Schedule Maint" message. May need to repeat for each, however, during my many follies while trying to do this I received 3 different codes, 021, 040, 161 at different times when getting to the "waiting for the "i" to flash" step.

Hope it helps. If anyone has something I missed, please shout out so this can be adjusted as needed.
      Last edited by Ride S40T; 01-22-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Typos
      2013 C30 T5 / Polestar Limited Edition / #147 of 250 / 6M / 2-tone leather / Rebel Blue
      2005 S40 T5 / Passion Red / Dynamic Sport / Premium Audio w/Sub / Sculptors / IPD stuff
      In the past: 2016 XC90RD / 2015 S60RD / 2012 S60 T5 - Loved them all!

Great start DWBF1! To keep this forum from becoming complaint & information only, I suggest adding some more fun topics. Like cosmetic upgrades such as ERST, Heico as well as notable builds; Arith's & wdimagineer's builds.
      04 S60 R MT Titanium Grey/Nordcap thread Copper Work VX-XX 19" Staggered | DP & Custom Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion Exterior & Interior | Sport Kit
      12 XC60 Ice White Wifey's Family Hauler | 3.2 AWD | Heico Kit | Fast 19" FC04A | Running Boards
      IG: @devolvR

Led bulb guide

Quote Originally Posted by mynewt5 View Post
      take it from someone who's tried them all! I have tried cheap leds from ebay, then genuine philips xtremevision leds (both festoon and t10 types in 6k and 4k) and then t10 from superbrightleds.com. Here are my findings and recommendation.

License plate: 38mm festoon type x2
      ebay: 3 smd 5050 led canbus with a big heat sink. Recently removed to check on them and discovered a burning smell. I have since replaced them with two philips xtreme-vision 6k leds.
      Recommendation: 6k philips xtremevision 38mm festoon led

trunk: 38mm festoon type x1
      for maximum brightness, i chose the 4k philips xtremevision 38mm festoon led. However, i may try
      the 3710 6 smd led bulb from superbrightleds.com

courtesy/map lights: T10 type x6
      installed 4k philips xtremevision t10 leds on all four courtesy lights. Turns out they glow when the switch is on neutral position. They do turn off when switched to off position. Not happy with that, i ordered four 194 led bulb in cool white from superbrightleds.com. They are the best leds i've found. They work properly in the neutral position and are really bright and white. Be sure to test them upon installation as these bulbs are polarized.
      Recommendation: 194 led bulb in cool white from superbrightleds.com

footwell: T10 type x2; puddle lights: T10 type x2
      once again, i would recommend 194 led bulb in cool white from superbrightleds.com

in conclusion, i would order all led bulbs from superbrightleds.com. I was reluctant at first since their bulbs look exactly like those off ebay at double the price. I have since learned that they are much brighter that those from ebay. For more info, read this thread! Have fun with your new s60!

Since a lot of people are asking this recently... http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ire-Suggestion

16" rims and tires DO fit the S60. Do a test fit of the rims to make sure! It depends on the rim design.
      2000 Volvo S70 SE; First Owner; 321k km; Retired
      2012A Volvo S60 T5 Level II; GONE!

Acura TLX SH-AWD with Tech Owner's Thread. Geokilla's Mini-blog.

2013 S60 T5 has an incorrect capacity listed in the owners manual. The manual says the oil capacity is 7.6 qts, it is actually 5.8. See email below from Volvo:

I apologize for the confusion. Our 2013 owners manual is incorrect your S60 has an oil capacity of 5.8 qts. Thank you for taking the time to contact us, please feel free to contact me with any other questions or comments that you may have. Thank You for choosing Volvo!

As of 3/6/14 the online manual has not been updated.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Quote Originally Posted by DWBF1 View Post
      Led bulb guide
      Any word on exterior LEDs for turn signals, reverse, brake, etc? What works, what doesn't, which bulbs throw error codes, which don't, etc.?
      2009 Pontiac G8 GXP, Sold | 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, 579rwhp, Sold | 2012 Volvo S60 R-Design, Sold
      2009 BMW E92 328xi (wife's old beater, sold ) | 2015 Infiniti Q50 (wife's new beater)
      2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T Premium (upgrade in every way)

Quote Originally Posted by hikeskool View Post
      Any word on exterior LEDs for turn signals, reverse, brake, etc? What works, what doesn't, which bulbs throw error codes, which don't, etc.?
      Bumping this thread with my own variation on these questions. Has anyone used brighter LED reverse lights and a brighter LED rear fog light? I have dark tint and brighter reverse lights would definitely help me see better and improve my depth perception when reversing in tight quarters in my dark driveway and during city parallel parking maneuvers. And I want the rear fog to be brighter so it is thoroughly aversive when I turn it on to get tailgaiters to back dafuq off my rear bumper
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

2004 Volvo V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2006 Volvo S60R GT TiGray/Gobi - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements