SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Bluepower BLP-890

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Masked Jackal 
#1 ·
I am about to purchase a BLP-890 from a member on here. Have done some serious poking around and reading and am curious what I should look out for in buying one used? How can i tell from photos which version the unit is? Also, is there specialized mounting hardware that i need to be sure is included so the unit sits flush and looks OEM?

Here is a link to the sellers ad:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?174539-Bluepower-Headunit-04-R

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
Don't do it. I bought one during the GB. and it has been the single most disappointing piece of crap in my car. Spend the money on a pioneer or kenwood double din with nav etc.

#3 ·
Not sure about the 890 and I'm relatively new to Blupower, but the short amount of time I've had my 840 I think it's ok. While I thought it was slick at first, it's now annoying me because of poor fm reception, volume control makes crackling sound when adjusted. I'm going to have it looked at by a pro to see what can be done. Good luck with yours

#5 ·
I was waiting for a shipping price etc before we finalized everything but the more I read on this unit the less I could justify spending hundreds of dollars on it. I do trust the seller that it is in working order to his knowledge, but with the unresponsiveness of Bluepower I am concerned that if anything did go wrong I would have no way to troubleshoot it. I will just stick with ordering a GROM unit for less and get the bare essentials that I wanted- hands free calling and Iphone play ability.

#6 ·
The BLP-840/890 units were hit or miss. Some people have units tha work just like they were designed to. Some people (ususally the most vocal) never had their units work correctly. Whether this be poor installtion or poor product, I think you would be better off getting a custom system or using a GROM unit.

My unit works as it should and looks great in the car. It is not the most intuitive setup and takes some getting used to, but all of my features work correctly and have been working since the Group Buy. The software environment was pretty slick when the unit was first introduced, but is seriously falling behind the times now with interactive displays, custom setups, etc.

Also, Bluepower is not good with customer support. They have not really stood behind their product and left many many unhappy customers here on Swedespeed since the group buy.

#7 ·
My unit worked flawlessly the first few months I had it and it has just been more and more of a headache every time I use it. It is glitchy, it doesn't play DVDs anymore, the nav didn't come with all the states in the US and the card doesn't have enough space to fit maps of the whole US, the nav also crashes just about every 1/2 mile when I do use it and it gets seriously aggravating. In just the past weeks the icelink unit stopped working so I don't have any steering wheel controls anymore. iPhone only connects half the time and the blp unit will freeze sometimes when trying to navigate songs and playlists etc. the list goes on and on.

To the op take it from someone who originally had a working unit and now it has gone down the tube get something else like a kenwood or pioneer double din unit with a good nav and you will not regret it. If you get a blp unit you may not regret it at first but you will after a year.

#8 ·
My unit worked flawlessly the first few months I had it and it has just been more and more of a headache every time I use it. It is glitchy, it doesn't play DVDs anymore, the nav didn't come with all the states in the US and the card doesn't have enough space to fit maps of the whole US, the nav also crashes just about every 1/2 mile when I do use it and it gets seriously aggravating. In just the past weeks the icelink unit stopped working so I don't have any steering wheel controls anymore. iPhone only connects half the time and the blp unit will freeze sometimes when trying to navigate songs and playlists etc. the list goes on and on.

To the op take it from someone who originally had a working unit and now it has gone down the tube get something else like a kenwood or pioneer double din unit with a good nav and you will not regret it. If you get a blp unit you may not regret it at first but you will after a year.
My nav was crashing all the time too with the supplied SD card and the maps they provided. It was truncated so I did not have maps for any states lower than Pennsylvania alphabeically. I downloaded all the maps a SS user posted here and put them into the SD card file structure, and copied this all onto a 4GB Sandisk SD card, and Nav has been flawless ever since. I have not been able to successfully copy my SD card, either by cloning or the original files and have the Nav work so I have not been able to make copies for others. Very strange problem.

I would still suggest not buying Bluepower units and just go with a Kenwood/Pioneer/Alpine/CarPC unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.