850 T5 turbo motor into '86 240?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

850 T5 turbo motor into '86 240?

Hi guys, there is an '86 240 at the junk yard for $850 cash. Runs and drives. Not beat up, but needs paint. I know it is lacking in the power dept, it looks like it has the same 2.3L that was in my '94 240.

The same junkyard has what looks to be a '95 850 wagon...(donor car)

I was looking for some information for what kind of obstacles I would run into if I took the harness/engine/ecu out of the wagon and put it in the '86. I would also be looking for a red manual transmission to put into it (both cars are auto currently)

Or if possible, is there a RWD 5 cyl that's easily obtainable that could be mated to a currently existing manual transmission? I'm looking to create maximum shenanigans. Eventually I want to run a Haltech standalone. If all else fails, I'll put a 2J in it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to Swedespeed, Julian.

Both Volvos are in a junkyard for a reason.

George Dill

I have heard of 850 engines transplanted into 240s but never seen it in person.

My '83 242 DL has had its engine/wiring/ecu replaced with a B230FT off of a junkyard '90 740 wagon. Mounts perfectly with the relocation of the distributor and use of a cold air intake system. With the replacement of the stock cam with the VX cam from IPD and an adjustable RSI cam gear makes it have enough scoot to keep up with a lot of BMWs. Btw, the stock M46 simply bolts on to the engine with the correct flywheel.

Using another engine type would have been a struggle for me. Time/money made me go the route that I did.

Hey, but don't let me discourage you...GO FOR IT if you have the time/money. Just don't run out of either. Pictures for sure when you get it done.
      '83 242 Burgundy w/B230FT, '06 V50 Barents T5 AWD, '10 S40 Ice White T5 AWD,
      '12 C30 Ice White T5 R Design w/Polestar, and '13 C30 Rebel LE #189/250
      ALL MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS

Manual Volvos for Life

Re: 850 T5 turbo motor into '86 240?

Quote Originally Posted by gdill2 View Post
      Welcome to Swedespeed, Julian.

Both Volvos are in a junkyard for a reason.

George Dill
      The 850 wagon was literally destroyed from a rear end hit.

The old 240 was in there because of a minorrrrr front hit. Hood didn't want to close and the people sold the car for scrap. Runs just as "strong" (lol) as my'94 240

Re: 850 T5 turbo motor into '86 240?

Quote Originally Posted by itoredmond View Post
      I have heard of 850 engines transplanted into 240s but never seen it in person.

My '83 242 DL has had its engine/wiring/ecu replaced with a B230FT off of a junkyard '90 740 wagon. Mounts perfectly with the relocation of the distributor and use of a cold air intake system. With the replacement of the stock cam with the VX cam from IPD and an adjustable RSI cam gear makes it have enough scoot to keep up with a lot of BMWs. Btw, the stock M46 simply bolts on to the engine with the correct flywheel.

Using another engine type would have been a struggle for me. Time/money made me go the route that I did.

Hey, but don't let me discourage you...GO FOR IT if you have the time/money. Just don't run out of either. Pictures for sure when you get it done.
      Is the M46 the transmission that came in that old 240 clunker? That sounds like I can take the trans and flywheel off the 4 cyl and it has the same bolt pattern on the crankshaft and block ?

I'm no stranger to motor swaps, my current project car is a 3000GT with custom exhaust manifolds and twin holset HX35's

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow2tedius View Post
      Is the M46 the transmission that came in that old 240 clunker? That sounds like I can take the trans and flywheel off the 4 cyl and it has the same bolt pattern on the crankshaft and block ?

I'm no stranger to motor swaps, my current project car is a 3000GT with custom exhaust manifolds and twin holset HX35's

The M46 is from the original '83 242 but I had to use the flywheel from the '90 740 B230FT. The problem is trying to find a '90 B230FT engine that came with a manual transmission. I looked high/low around the country for one so I could take off the flywheel. It is EXTREMELY RARE.

Also had to cut notches in the M46 bell housing for a perfect fit. Boy does it ever pull thru 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears.

I don't care to have my new setup go past 190-200hp because my brakes are set up to be from the stock 242 GLTs (vented front rotors) and I don't want to upgrade yet to a bigger brakes. I like the look of my 15" powder coated gun metal Virgos.
      '83 242 Burgundy w/B230FT, '06 V50 Barents T5 AWD, '10 S40 Ice White T5 AWD,
      '12 C30 Ice White T5 R Design w/Polestar, and '13 C30 Rebel LE #189/250
      ALL MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS

Manual Volvos for Life

The best bet is to fit a 2.3 turbo lump from a 740 or 940 as it it pretty much bolt in. It is also a lot cheaper to make bigger power than the 5 pot

Here is a build thread on a not yet finished T5 conversion in a 240

http://volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=135987