12-Volt Electrical Socket Installation…
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up 12-Volt Electrical Socket Installation…

Here is an easy installation project for anyone wanting to add a 12-volt electrical socket in the trunk. I first learned of the possibility on page 208 of the 2013 S60 Owner's Manual. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any information on Volvo's accessories website.

During my research, I removed the trim cover on the left and checked the fuse box in the cargo area. Sure enough, slot 6 is populated with a 15-amp fuse.

Now why would Volvo put in a fuse without running a cable of some sort? As I reached below the trim, I felt a cable with a connector of some sort taped to a wiring harness. I removed the masking tape holding the cable. Sure enough, I recognize the connector as the same type used by Volvo to connect a power outlet on other vehicles such as the XC60. Learning that Volvo already provided the cable, all I have to do is to drill the hole, screw in the power outlet and plug it in!

I purchased the Power Outlet (p/n: 31324708) from Tasca ($17.53). I chose this location since it offered enough clearance behind the trim to accommodate the depth of the socket and within the reach of the cable.

I removed the four plastic screws (10mm hex socket) on the trunk floor, one clip on the upper left, and slid the trim away from the metal frame. There is one more clip on the top of the trim that I could not remove without breaking it so I decided to leave it. I was able to move the trim enough to work while leaving the last clip still mounted. I lined the trunk with a garbage bag to catch the plastic fluff and proceeded to drill.

The installation instructions recommended using a 27mm drill bit, but I used a 25mm. Once the drill bit was through, I used a box cutter to make a small notch, about 1/4” wide and 1/8” below, to match that on the socket. I twisted the socket through the freshly drilled hole. The fit was snug, which was good. Once it reached the end, I pressed the socket so it was right up against the wall of the trim. Using an oversize wrench, I tightened the plastic nut onto the back of the socket. I moved the trim back in place while leaving enough space for my hands to connect the cable to the back of the socket. I tested the socket for power before putting the trim piece back.

All-in-all, an easy and inexpensive installation. It took me about an hour from start to finish. I spent half the time deciding on where to place the socket. YMMV!
      2016 S60 Polestar / 2013 S60 R-Design / 2012 XC60 R-Design / 2004 S60R / 2002 S60 T5

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the excellent tip, this is something I may try in the near future, much appreciated!
      2013 S60 T5 Platinum AWD - Ice White
      Climate package, BLIS, Remote Start, Spoiler,
      Heated Rear Seats, R-Design rear diffuser
      with park assist

Sorry to hijack your thread, but is that a genuine Volvo cargo net? It looks nice and I have been wanting to get a net for that location.

BTW... great little trick. Do you know if the power is always available, or only when the ignition is on.

Nip

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

No worries, we're here to help each other.
      Yes, those are genuine Volvo cargo nets (p/n: 30756499) Installation instructions. Price $56.07.
      It may be difficult to see from the photo but the mesh pockets are installed on both sides of the cargo area.

There appears to be power going to the socket even with the ignition switched off.
      2016 S60 Polestar / 2013 S60 R-Design / 2012 XC60 R-Design / 2004 S60R / 2002 S60 T5

Quote Originally Posted by MyNewT5 View Post
      Yes, those are genuine Volvo cargo nets (p/n: 30756499) Installation instructions. Price $56.07.
      It may be difficult to see from the photo but the mesh pockets are installed on both sides of the cargo area.

There appears to be power going to the socket even with the ignition switched off.
      I installed a socket I picked up at radio shack. I put mine behind the little fiber panel so I don't mess it up when I put stuff in the trunk. The circuit it is on is always hot. If you buy the electricly heated/cooled "cooler" from Volvo they warn about leaving it plugged in too long and running down the battery.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

Quote Originally Posted by dhorvath View Post
      I installed a socket I picked up at radio shack. I put mine behind the little fiber panel so I don't mess it up when I put stuff in the trunk. The circuit it is on is always hot. If you buy the electricly heated/cooled "cooler" from Volvo they warn about leaving it plugged in too long and running down the battery.
      For anyone who doesn't know already, the 2013 S60 T5's are factory equipped with the 12V outlet in the trunk, unswitched, always "ON".

On the flip side to "always on" - this would be an easy connection point for anyone wanting to connect a battery minder without having to mess with connections under the hood.
      2013 S60 T5 FWD SAVILLE BEIGE PREMIER+ CLIMATE BLIS PARK ASSIST

This can come in very handy. Thanks for sharing and being thorough with part numbers and all.
      Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if there is a switched fuse under the hood I can tap into?
      I tried all I can but they are always on.

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      This can come in very handy. Thanks for sharing and being thorough with part numbers and all.
      Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if there is a switched fuse under the hood I can tap into?
      I tried all I can but they are always on.
      I tapped into the cup holder 12V socket to power 3-socket head I installed under the waterfall to power my portable nav (and other things) since I hate having wires around the cups and shifter.

That is switched...
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

I tapped into the cup holder 12V socket to power 3-socket head I installed under the waterfall to power my portable nav (and other things) since I hate having wires around the cups and shifter.

That is switched...
      But that is all inside, right? Or is it under the hood?
      I'm trying to hookup LED driving lights but I don't want to splice any existing lighting wires and would rather tap into the fuse box near the battery.

I need to remember to subscribe to posts on this site...

Thanks for the net info. I def. need to pick up that accessory.

Thanks again.

Nip

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      But that is all inside, right? Or is it under the hood?
      I'm trying to hookup LED driving lights but I don't want to splice any existing lighting wires and would rather tap into the fuse box near the battery.
      Oh, sorry.

Looking at page 321-ish in the manual (PDF), I see a position for Aux Lights. You might also use one of the other circuits (protected by fuse or circuit breaker) that is also switched.

The Auxilliry lights seem to be on all the time. Not a problem. I tapped into the active bending lights slot since I don't have those. Got it to work as intended so I'm good. Thanks.
      Having said that, in me trying fuses, and thinking I don't have variable assist power steering, I pulled off that 5 Amp fuse. When I started the car, there was no power steering. I plugged it back in and power steering came back. Fair enough.

The question is: What happens if that fuse blows while diving? Does the car lose power steering? That does not seem safe at all especially that the pump is electric, not belt, driven. I would hope Volvo being all about safety would no allow that o happen.

Even if you lose power steering, you still have the manual. A little harder to turn the wheel but still there. The same thing when the pump was belt driven (and the belt broke/pump ran dry/etc.).

You'd think a pump would never go dry, right? My wife test drove a new vehicle (non-Volvo) and was complaining how hard the car was to steer. She pulled over and had me take over. It was like driving a truck. Back at the dealer, I had a "look under the hood", checked the PS pump, and found it dry. Not low, not leaking, but never-filled-dry. We decided never to buy a car at that dealer.

Even if you lose power steering, you still have the manual. A little harder to turn the wheel but still there. The same thing when the pump was belt driven (and the belt broke/pump ran dry/etc.).

You'd think a pump would never go dry, right? My wife test drove a new vehicle (non-Volvo) and was complaining how hard the car was to steer. She pulled over and had me take over. It was like driving a truck. Back at the dealer, I had a "look under the hood", checked the PS pump, and found it dry. Not low, not leaking, but never-filled-dry. We decided never to buy a car at that dealer.
      Ok. So it's the same mechanical linkage but with the pump electrically powered rather than belt. Makes sense.
      I agree. I'd never buy from a dealer who is so negligent/clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sheehan View Post
      For anyone who doesn't know already, the 2013 S60 T5's are factory equipped with the 12V outlet in the trunk, unswitched, always "ON".
      Actually our S60 T5 AWD is a 2013 without an outlet in the trunk - it was manufactured 10/12.

So this will be a good mod to get taken care of.
      2013 S60 T5 Platinum AWD - Ice White
      Climate package, BLIS, Remote Start, Spoiler,
      Heated Rear Seats, R-Design rear diffuser
      with park assist

Quote Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
      Actually our S60 T5 AWD is a 2013 without an outlet in the trunk - it was manufactured 10/12.

So this will be a good mod to get taken care of.
      Interesting, my S60 was built 9/12 and has it.
      2013 S60 T5 FWD SAVILLE BEIGE PREMIER+ CLIMATE BLIS PARK ASSIST

That is switched...
      How is this done? was it difficult? do you have pics? this is definitely needed.
      2015 S60 R Design - REBEL BLUE
      2014 XC60 T6 (Hers)

(Former rides) 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T - 2011 VW Jetta TDI - 2010 Mustang GT - 2008 BMW e90 M3 - 2007 BMW e90 335i/Active - 2007 Infiniti G35S -2006 Infiniti M35 - 2004 Acura TL ... no need to list more

If you are a DIYer, you can easily pull out the cup holder to get to the back of the
      12V source. Then tun the wires after removing a few other panels. The cup holder
      clips in with two clips at the back. This russian language page has some images
      (keep the mouse focus off the images to see them) :

http://www.drive2.ru/l/1680491/

This has more images on removing various interior trim around the console (the
      installation manual for the wood inlay):

http://accessories.volvocars.com/Acc...6938-1/NOTHING
      2011 S60 T6, Flamenco Red / Biege, Polestar Tune, JBL MS-8 DSP and sub-woofer;
      2006 XC90 Ocean Race 'Big Blue'; 1998 V70 T5.
      Previous (sold): 95 855 GLT; 98 S70 T5M; 2000 S40.

Thanks krn!

I bought a short wire today 1.5' and its not so bad from there to the iphone/proclip.. I just worry about a drink spilling into the open socket/usb/adapter piece lol. would be nice to get it behind the waterfall.
      If they are able to run my garmin on the a pillar to a power source then I guess I won't need power behind there and I'll live with the short wire from cupholder to iphone.... I wouldn't mess with this stuff myself as I'll end up doing more damage then good lol.
      2014 XC60 T6 (Hers)

(Former rides) 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T - 2011 VW Jetta TDI - 2010 Mustang GT - 2008 BMW e90 M3 - 2007 BMW e90 335i/Active - 2007 Infiniti G35S -2006 Infiniti M35 - 2004 Acura TL ... no need to list more

Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
      How is this done? was it difficult? do you have pics? this is definitely needed.
      My original post on the topic (in the wrong forum unfortunately): http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post1968781

Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
      Thanks krn!

I bought a short wire today 1.5' and its not so bad from there to the iphone/proclip.. I just worry about a drink spilling into the open socket/usb/adapter piece lol. would be nice to get it behind the waterfall.
      If they are able to run my garmin on the a pillar to a power source then I guess I won't need power behind there and I'll live with the short wire from cupholder to iphone.... I wouldn't mess with this stuff myself as I'll end up doing more damage then good lol.
      Even the Volvo portable nav install instructions have you pulling power from the wiring for that socket. For me, I only had to pull the kickgard (plastic cover on passenger side that goes from center console to carpet) to get to the wires. +12V and Ground are right there.

Pictures in post linked above.

My original post on the topic (in the wrong forum unfortunately): http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post1968781
      interesting, thanks very much!
      2014 XC60 T6 (Hers)

I recently purchased a "used" 2014 S60 and promptly ordered to 12V power outlet for the trunk as I did for my 2012 S60. When I went to install it, I noticed that my 2014 S60 isn't prewired for the trunk outlet. It's not a difficult task to tap into the power block in the trunk, but it's not "plug and play" like it used to be.
      2014 Bright Silver/ Beige S60 T5 Platinum w/ Technology pkg, BLIS and Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights

In what way was your 2012 prewired? Although mine had the 40A-capable circuit to the back block, I had to add fuse and wire in the 12V socket.

In what way was your 2012 prewired? Although mine had the 40A-capable circuit to the back block, I had to add fuse and wire in the 12V socket.
      My 2012 had the connector for the 12v outlet taped to a wire harness inside the access panel. You just plugged the connector into the 12v outlet and inserted a fuse in to the slot specifically for the outlet and you were done. You didn't have to tap the 40 amp circuit for the towing module
      2014 Bright Silver/ Beige S60 T5 Platinum w/ Technology pkg, BLIS and Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights

Odd. I didn't see that connector when I was adding in my outlet. I may have to go back and double check...

Odd. I didn't see that connector when I was adding in my outlet. I may have to go back and double check...
      On my 2011, the larger red one seen below connects to the back of the 40 amp circuit
      on the fuse box for 12V positive. There was no ground wire although the connector
      supported two wires. I think the other one (with multiple wires) is for controlling lights on a trailer.
      Those were the two unused connectors I found. As I recall, they were down at the bottom
      towards the rear.

You can buy a $28,000 pickup that is chock full of 12v outlets and even 110v inverters. It's funny more expensive cars are so stingy with them. It'd be funny if they gave somebody an inflator instead of a spare tire and the thing wouldn't reach the rear tire! (I'm sure it probably does).

I use a 3-1 extension cord in our S60 for a radar detector, phone charger, and portable nav unit to run at the same time. The area behind the waterfall control panel would be idea for a couple of 12v power points to nicely hide cords/chargers, but nope. You get one right by the cupholders and one in the arm rest instead.
      2015 S60 R design,ember black metallic

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
      I use a 3-1 extension cord in our S60 for a radar detector, phone charger, and portable nav unit to run at the same time. The area behind the waterfall control panel would be idea for a couple of 12v power points to nicely hide cords/chargers, but nope. You get one right by the cupholders and one in the arm rest instead.
      I wired one of those in shortly after I got my car back in the US. I wrote it up on SS.

My 2012 T5 has the two connectors as depicted two posts above by KRN. How do I connect the 12V outlet, given that scenario? On my car, there is no existing fuse in slot 6 and the connector only has + and though I can connect + on the outlet, there is no ground.

Do I add a 15A fuse to slot 6, connect the outlet, and wire up a ground?

Quote Originally Posted by redmond1501 View Post
      My 2012 T5 has the two connectors as depicted two posts above by KRN. How do I connect the 12V outlet, given that scenario? On my car, there is no existing fuse in slot 6 and the connector only has + and though I can connect + on the outlet, there is no ground.

Do I add a 15A fuse to slot 6, connect the outlet, and wire up a ground?
      Yes. The red is 12V positive. You then need to ground off the chassis. This
      photo shows the fuse in place and the fuse below it:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post2196819

Awesome -- thanks! I just ordered the Littelfuse JCAS40BP 40A fuse from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by redmond1501 View Post
      Awesome -- thanks! I just ordered the Littelfuse JCAS40BP 40A fuse from Amazon.
      You can also pick them up at auto parts stores. Note I eventually went with
      a smaller capacity fuse (20 amp).

Great thread. Re: the cargo net installation instructions, I like the way they suggest you make sure you haven't drilled through the cable AFTER you've actually drilled the holes themselves!

I just did the cargo nets too. The instructions actually have you position the grommets before drilling, then check the placement in relation to the what's underneath, and then drill.

I was super careful and drilled 1/8", just enough to get through the trunk liner. Checked for resistance inside the holes and then inserted the cargo net. I installed the righthand cargo net in about 2 minutes.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast