Took my V70R to an autocross event on Sunday
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

This was my first time ever attending or participating in autocross, so it was quite the experience. Although I had read the Rs weren't well suited for autocrossing, I still had a blast taking the wagon around the course. This was hosted by the Atlanta region of SCCA at Atlanta Motor Speedway. I'm pretty sure I was the only Volvo and the only station wagon there. Being this was my first time, I went through the Novice program -- hence the big 'N' magnet on my car -- so they didn't post my times online. My 1st run could be classified as a "nice Sunday drive", but I managed to shave about 15 seconds off by my 5th and final run. There weren't any other G Stock cars competing, but with a little more seat time, I think I'd be competitive in GS.

It was the most fun I've had for $45 and I highly recommend those who haven't experienced it to try it out. I'm hooked!

2006 Titanium Nordkap V70R 6MT

our caRs just aren't competitive in GS, cause someone will bring a Civic Si and it is over. Hell I could probably run faster times in my 9-5 daily driver than the R. What you need to do is go to a road course where the R can stretch its legs.
      2008 Titanium Grey Metallic C30 R-Design
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Did you run in Sport or Advanced?

I've read some track reports from other SSers that preferred Sport for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      our caRs just aren't competitive in GS, cause someone will bring a Civic Si and it is over. Hell I could probably run faster times in my 9-5 daily driver than the R. What you need to do is go to a road course where the R can stretch its legs.
      Find me a road course near Atlanta where I can run my car for $45 and I'm all over it. Unfortunately, all the events I've seen are like $250+.

I've run in all modes just to see what works. The best was advanced held in 2nd.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Chambuzz View Post
      Find me a road course near Atlanta where I can run my car for $45 and I'm all over it. Unfortunately, all the events I've seen are like $250+.
      The extra money is worth it to me not to have to stand in a sun baked lot for hours chasing cones. my nearby track is $150 and I usually get tired of driving before the day is over.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Quote Originally Posted by n23 View Post
      Did you run in Sport or Advanced?

I've read some track reports from other SSers that preferred Sport for whatever reason.
      All but one run was done in Advanced with the DSC reduced. I actually forgot to change the settings on my 2nd run and ran it in Sport with DSC on. Honestly, I'm so raw right now as a driver, I couldn't tell a difference. If I end up doing some more events, I'll probably play around with the settings and see if it makes a difference. I'd like to get some better tires though. My Cooper All Seasons don't grip worth a damn.

Excellent! Autocross is a great, low-cost, safe way to learn performance driving.
      Track days are good too, but are more money, and you can total your car easily or worse.
      Winning against lighter cars is not the point, learning to drive is...

I did a bunch of Auto-X in my '67 1800S racecar-turned-street-car...too heavy, slower than a Honda Civic, antique suspension design etc...I still had a blast and learned to handle my car in a safe environment.

Auto-X rules!!
      Volvoracer
      *Designer of the SNABB M66 Short Shifter*
      '05 VR Red/Atacama/M66 (1 of 4 in US), many mods, 167k, Brembo, 6-speed
      '05 Ducati 800SuperSport Yellow, Brembo, 6-speed
      '67 1800S S.C.C.A. racecar under restoration

Dat body roll!
      2005 Volvo S60R MT Mystic Silver Metallic -Custom Tuned-KW V2 Suspension-All Powerflex Bushings
      Garret:|GTX3576R|TIAL:|QR Recirc Valve|MV-R 44mm External Wastegate|Custom:|Intake|Full 3" Exhaust w/ Borla Xr-1|FMIC|UR:|Chassis Braces|AEM:|Water/Meth Kit 441cc Nozzle|5-0:|750cc Injectors|Audi:|B6 S4 MAF|IPD:|Poly Mounts-V70R Sways|BUILD THREAD

Oh, and get yerself a set of sway bars...you'll be glad you did!
      Volvoracer
      *Designer of the SNABB M66 Short Shifter*
      '05 VR Red/Atacama/M66 (1 of 4 in US), many mods, 167k, Brembo, 6-speed
      '05 Ducati 800SuperSport Yellow, Brembo, 6-speed
      '67 1800S S.C.C.A. racecar under restoration

The Rs do fine even in comfort mode hahaha. It's all driver rather than caR. Ask Connie. He's seen me whip the tail of his R in comfort mode with traction on lol

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.
      2008 Passion Red C30 6 Speed M/T
      V1 with Preferred, Climate Package and Dynaudio.
      Added: R Design Spoiler+Steering Wheel+Knob, K&N Air Filter Replacement, EuroSport Tuning Strut Bar, Borla CBE, Vibratechnics Rear Engine Mount, Forge Recirculation Valve, IPD Skidplate, KW V3

Quote Originally Posted by volvoracer View Post
      Excellent! Autocross is a great, low-cost, safe way to learn performance driving.
      Track days are good too, but are more money, and you can total your car easily or worse.
      Winning against lighter cars is not the point, learning to drive is...

I did a bunch of Auto-X in my '67 1800S racecar-turned-street-car...too heavy, slower than a Honda Civic, antique suspension design etc...I still had a blast and learned to handle my car in a safe environment.

Auto-X rules!!
      Adam, do you have any suggestion where I could go to try auto-x in our area?
      Parting out 2003 V70 XC

06 V70R Sonicap

Never leave home without a surfboard

Pittsburgh, PA // Ft. Bragg, NC // Woodstock, GA
      IDC, looks fun!! haha

Nice job Chambuzz!
      Keoni - 2004 SR Saphakap MT||VolvoTista: BOV Kit // IPD: Strut Bar Conv, Upper Polly Mount, Trans Polly Mount // Elevate: Track Sways, SS Brake Lines, AMS // Phuzzy: FMIC, HD TCV // WothRline: Custom Tune // Custom 3" DP w/Magnaflow Cat w/ 3" Cut-Out // Custom 3" Exhaust w/Borla XR-1 muffler to dual exit 2.5" (quad tips) & Magnaflow resonator // Custom 3" CAI // SNAAB: Intake // UR: Pulley // (My Diffuser)

Does Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, AL have anything? I don't really see anything on their website. They are about 2 hours from Atlanta.
      '06 V70 R Magic Blue | Eroticama | 3-Pedal Arrangement | 132k miles | My story: Addicted to a new drug: torque, baby!!!
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | Hardtop | 20k miles - garage queen
      '07 Passat 2.0T Wagon | Deep Black | Wifemobile | 90k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Kirlo View Post
      Yes! Ner.org. Those are the people I will be autocrossing with!
      2005 Volvo S60R MT Mystic Silver Metallic -Custom Tuned-KW V2 Suspension-All Powerflex Bushings
      Garret:|GTX3576R|TIAL:|QR Recirc Valve|MV-R 44mm External Wastegate|Custom:|Intake|Full 3" Exhaust w/ Borla Xr-1|FMIC|UR:|Chassis Braces|AEM:|Water/Meth Kit 441cc Nozzle|5-0:|750cc Injectors|Audi:|B6 S4 MAF|IPD:|Poly Mounts-V70R Sways|BUILD THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Kirlo View Post
      With me, connie and jackroy. Ayer, Ma.
      2008 C30 2.0 6MT

2006 Ti SR 6MT - Scrapped by CMOD_R.

1984 242 Ti 4sp - Has moar power than Vio's Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
      With me, connie and jackroy. Ayer, Ma.
      FItzy me, and Jaclyn LOL

All but one run was done in Advanced with the DSC reduced. I actually forgot to change the settings on my 2nd run and ran it in Sport with DSC on. Honestly, I'm so raw right now as a driver, I couldn't tell a difference. If I end up doing some more events, I'll probably play around with the settings and see if it makes a difference. I'd like to get some better tires though. My Cooper All Seasons don't grip worth a damn.
      I'm glad you had taken your caR to the track. I've had lots of fun with my Rosie on trac too.

I'd like to draw your attention to rear suspension geometry. After a TD session I've had very bad side hop issue. I have found that my rear geometry was closed by 14mm, in other words, the toe in was higher then specs. The fix for that (apart from bushings) was to install TKI rear toe control arms.

Thinking of which, it would be so nice to have spot on suspension on VR and to see it sliding out of corners like a real beast
      SR, MT, TiGray Gobi; slow project...

Nice! I've got my Miata as my Track Rat...but our first fun event here is on the 31st so going to throw my VR around some cones also. Should be interesting...best time I had last year was in my 850 Turbo Wagon with 7 people in it, rolling on 17psi of boost around corners and lighting up the front wheels. All for giggles.

I've done HPDE's and Autocrosses alike, granted there is a lot more driving at HPDE's but for autocross at least in my region its more of a social event...It's a good time to just hang out with people and do a little racing also.
      2004 VR GT- Classic Silver over Nordkap- "Mustang Sally"- Totalled 5/10/2013
      2011 Mazda Miata MX5 Sport- True Red- H&R springs, Koni Sports, DDM 35w 4500k HID, 17x9 TRMotorsports C3, 255/40/17 Hankook RS3- The track rat
      2007 Mazda CX7 Grand Touring- Ice Blue

Man that's really cool!! I did a track event once only a few years ago and it was a blast! I can't wait to do it again

2004 S60R 6MT Tuned by Autotech
      CLICK HERE for Build Thread

My other money pit: 2006 XC70 CLICK HERE