Rain water leaking in through heating ducts
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Rain water leaking in through heating ducts

Hi all,
      I have an S40 T5 2005, and recently after a rain storm I have noticed standing water in the rear seat drivers side floorboard. When I turned my heat on today at full blast, I felt bubbling with my feet coming from front drivers floor board, then I heard and saw the water coming out of the rear floor heat duct (directly below drivers seat)...

Does anyone know where the air duct under the drivers seat leads too? I assume the duct goes underneath the drivers floorboard, to the firewall somewhere? Trying to find out where the water is coming in...

Thanks!

If you have a sunroof that is almost certainly the source of your water. Look at the many threads on this issue. In short you need to clean the drains, make sure the piping is attached properly & then replace the rubber ends with updated parts. Pull carpets & dry out the car.
      Nothing too technical but it is labor intensive.

No sunroof? Check the drains in your cowl. They will be clogged with old leaves, etc.

Check "Common Issues" in the stickies.
      Last edited by pczeilon; 03-17-2013 at 01:45 PM.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Thanks pczeilon. I didn't realize this would be such a common problem, so didn't even think to search.

Just beware if it happens on the passenger side there could be another culprite. The AC drain plug, it can selfrelease and dump condensate into the compartment. Will give the excact same sympthoms. The bubbly from the duct under seat is from the duct itself beeing submerged.

After you have dried the car, I recommend one of these ac cleaners. A can you put inside the car, open it to full whilst having full blast on ac with recirc on and windows closed.. It will kill off most living organisms in your vent ducts, mould etc..
      2005 V50T5/GT/StageI/Forge CBV/KN
      1997 855R/Auto/StageII/Forge CBV/KN

When were the rubber elbows updated? Are there any model years that don't have the sunroof issues anymore?