What is to happen to the C70??
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Exclamation What is to happen to the C70??

Went to the NY auto show today and saw the Volvo line. All cars were there except the C70 and the C30. saw the new XC60 as well as the new V60. real sharp looking. What's on the drawing board for the Convert????

Production plant in Udevalla will be closed during this year. It has not been decided when new model will come..
      C70 T5 2008, K16 RS turbo, 384 HP (340 WHP), ATM400 Autotech tune

The S40/V50s were discontinued in 2011 (2012 in Europe), the C30 was discontinued in December of 2012 and the C70 is to be discontinued this year. Volvo has been in the process of phasing out of all the P1 line up due to poor sales (compared to the larger XC90s and S80s). The obvious market for Volvos are the big luxury cars, so the plan has been to redesign the cars on the P3 chassis (a much larger foundation than the P1s were on) and possibly introduce a new "small car" platform. A 5 door version of the C30, an XC50, is currently in the works (not sure how that'll be different from the XC40 we've seen spy shots of) and Volvo is pushing their "small car" sales with the V40, which is still not in the US.

The S80 is the next car in the line up for a total facelift and the P2 XC90 will soon be gone as the P3 XC60 is a bigger vehicle.

on the one hand i like having a unique vehicle that at least i think is beautiful and fairly engaging to drive (with some mods).

but i'd like to keep the car around another 10 years so hopefully parts will still be available.... from the waist down i think i'll be fine since there are lots of p1s between volvo, ford, and mazda. but since c70 sales were never high, my only concern is the folding hardtop roof.... knock on wood, no issues so far on my 2008...can it go 10 more years without failing?
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak
      Shark Performance Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate Sway Bar - Volvo Strut Tower Bar - Massive Systems Camber Arms - Volvo Sport Control Arms - Centric Carbon Rotors - Akebono EuroCeramic Pads - Continental DWS - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar AirBlue & Madico Wincos Tint - Interior LEDs - Philips H9 Low Beam - LED Halo DRL

Quote Originally Posted by jschinito View Post
      on the one hand i like having a unique vehicle that at least i think is beautiful and fairly engaging to drive (with some mods).

but i'd like to keep the car around another 10 years so hopefully parts will still be available.... from the waist down i think i'll be fine since there are lots of p1s between volvo, ford, and mazda. but since c70 sales were never high, my only concern is the folding hardtop roof.... knock on wood, no issues so far on my 2008...can it go 10 more years without failing?
      It is a real concern, given the sparse numbers in the US. Last summer, it took a month to get a front bumper cover after DW had a little dust-up with a Subaru . I would imagine we'll keep the '11 for 2-3 more years unless something really compelling comes along. It could remain with us longer if it remains relatively trouble-free. We've had three 'verts from Volvo since our '04 ragtop.
      Current: '13 C70 Caspian Blue 2013 Acura RDX FWDw/Tech (not that anyone cares )
      Previous Volvos
      : '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

Well the industry requires that there are enough spares for like seven years after production stops. Even the supplieres have to be able to make spares so we should be ok for a while.

can it go 10 more years without failing?
      g
      I wonder if I will? Sure hope the car will too!!

Yes, it can. Just perform the regular maintenance, change oil every 10.000 km and suspension parts (shock, bushings) app. every 100.000 km and that will do the trick. Volvos are built to last.

Quote Originally Posted by irbrenda View Post
      g
      I wonder if I will? Sure hope the car will too!!
      Yes, you will. Just remember to take better care of yourself then of your car and you surely will. Humans are also built to last.

one convertible that i do like the looks of is the audi a5/s5... way out of my budget to purchase and upkeep/ maintenance. but it does look nice ;-)
      Shark Performance Tune - GoVo ECU Spacer - Ford e-Focus Mount - Koni FSD - Elevate Sway Bar - Volvo Strut Tower Bar - Massive Systems Camber Arms - Volvo Sport Control Arms - Centric Carbon Rotors - Akebono EuroCeramic Pads - Continental DWS - Mods4cars SmartTop - Llumar AirBlue & Madico Wincos Tint - Interior LEDs - Philips H9 Low Beam - LED Halo DRL

one convertible that i do like the looks of is the audi a5/s5... way out of my budget to purchase and upkeep/ maintenance. but it does look nice ;-)
      Although one has to admit da Silva really did a good job on it I would never trade my C70 for the Audi S5 convertible. And yes, I did drive tested it..

what didn't you like about the S5?

what didn't you like about the S5?
      For a start I was looking for a hardtop convertible so didn't like soft top - from that perspective BMW 335 cabrio came closest to my C70.

But let's put that aside for a moment. Please look at this picture and see if you can tell models apart?

The other arguments being:

- there are sooo many of them here on the streets while Volvo was making only 15000 C70, half of them going to USA, 25% to Australia and New Zeeland and rest to the Europe.

- Audi is much pricier then Volvo while giving nothing more

- safety is on the Volvo side

- running costs are on the Volvo side - maintenance costs of Audi (and BMW) are much higher

I'm not saying S5 is bad and ugly car, cause it isn't - I'm saying that I liked C70 much better, both the looks and the technology inside. Last but not least I really liked T5 engine and wanted to tune it, so now my C70 is much faster and better handling car then S5 Cabrio.

Quote Originally Posted by kova View Post
      For a start I was looking for a hardtop convertible so didn't like soft top - from that perspective BMW 335 cabrio came closest to my C70.

But let's put that aside for a moment. Please look at this picture and see if you can tell models apart?

The other arguments being:

- there are sooo many of them here on the streets while Volvo was making only 15000 C70, half of them going to USA, 25% to Australia and New Zeeland and rest to the Europe.

- Audi is much pricier then Volvo while giving nothing more

- safety is on the Volvo side

- running costs are on the Volvo side - maintenance costs of Audi (and BMW) are much higher

I'm not saying S5 is bad and ugly car, cause it isn't - I'm saying that I liked C70 much better, both the looks and the technology inside. Last but not least I really liked T5 engine and wanted to tune it, so now my C70 is much faster and better handling car then S5 Cabrio.
      i agree with all of your points kova and they're the same reasons i drive a c70 :-)
      hoping volvo will come out with a new one in a few years... it fills a niche (granted it's a small one and that's probably why it's being discontinued) that there are few players

My first priority was a retractable hard top, so that limited the market significantly right there. I also wanted 4 (relatively) functional seats so it came down to this or the BMW (Unless I wanted to drive a VW EOS ... um, no). I had a 2 seater Mercedes SLK convertible for several years. I don't think I could drive a ragtop year round in Michigan.