SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Problem: Small coolant leak on INSIDE, passenger side. Wtf?

26K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Richard101 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I've been noticing some moisture on my floor mat and thought it was water, then I was cleaning it off and noticed it was coolant. My reservoir for coolant has dropped a bit, even after refilling.

The leak is on the upper left side, it's trickling down the top left of floor mat and I can't seem to find the source.

Does this commonly happen? Only thing I can think happened is that the leak occurred while changing the alternator, but how could it leak into the cabin? Where could it possibly be coming from and is this a common problem or issue? I'll try to post pictures.

EDIT: IT IS NOT A COOLANT LEAK, IT'S AIR CONDITIONING FLUID RUN OFF AS DEPICTED BELOW. STILL WORKING ON UNBLOCKING OR FIXING...WILL UPDATE WHEN FINISHED...

#2 · (Edited)
That would be your heater core, quite rare in fact. No fun whatsoever to change out. Take at look at the hose connection on your firewall. Is it leaking there by chance & running down the pipe into the cabin? Are you sure it's coolant? The smell is quite distinctive. You would really notice it when you run the defroster on high heat. If your windows have been fogging up for no reason recently that's another clue.

I believe there is also a hose coupling (O-ring & clip) inside the cabin that could leak as well. Requires pretty much the same amount of work & would come with a complete new heater core anyhow. You can buy the parts separately though.

#3 ·
I think my heater core may be leaking too. I haven't found any liquid but I can smell coolant sometimes in the cabin.
Stan

#4 ·
I don't smell anything. Don't smell anything at all, but something is definitely running down. Is it my 50/50 coolant mix or something else? I've dipped my finger in the stuff and tried but no strong smell.

It's not bright green, but it is trickling down. Not a steady stream but a little bit at a time. Any other fluid that it could be?

#5 ·
Do you have a sunroof? If so it could be the drain hose. They sometimes get disconnected and leak on the floor.
Stan

#6 ·
It could be that the drain tube that should lead the condensed water out from the heater core has been blocked somehow. It has happened to a couple of guys here in Finland and they had the exact same symptoms - carpet on the passenger side getting wet and even water sloshing under it.

There should be a smallish plastic tube coming out through the bottom of the car, right under where the heater core is.

#8 ·
It could be that the drain tube that should lead the condensed water out from the heater core has been blocked somehow. It has happened to a couple of guys here in Finland and they had the exact same symptoms - carpet on the passenger side getting wet and even water sloshing under it.

There should be a smallish plastic tube coming out through the bottom of the car, right under where the heater core is.
Hi, can you be more specific? This may be the issue and i'd like to investigate it. Where can I see the tube and how can I fix it?

#7 ·
first make sure it is coolant, if it is then the issue will most likely be either the heater core or the lines going in or out of it.

normally if you turn your heat on a valve opens and lets coolant flow through the lines into the heater core and back out. you will not see the leak if the heat is turned off.

on most cars you have to take the whole dash a part , lets hope this isnt your issue :/

#9 ·
A/C drain also in that Area . Sure seems You'd be smelling Coolant .

+1 for Testing to Fog Up the Wind Screen .

#11 ·
This really could be the problem. How do I find out if it's blocked or what could be blocking it?

#12 ·
Okay so what I did was pull the hose out, saw some crud in there, not obtrusive at all but crud nonetheless. I washed it out reinstalled everything.

For the carpet, I jsut pulled it back and used a flashlight to give me the light i needed. It's a solid hose that just pulls off.

#13 ·
IT'S AIR CONDITIONING FLUID- Your mean to say it is - Air Conditioning Condensation ? (( I Hope it isn't Green - Neon Oil . ))

That Hose Your referring to , How Snug is it ?
Where are the Rust Spots coming from On that Bracket - one has Salt marks around It also ?

Very Heavy - Winter Boot Traffic ? ( maybe ) Or NOT !

#14 ·
Okay it looks and feels like water. It does have a green/neon look to it and it isn't coolant.

Is it condensation or is it leaking Air Conditioning fluid? Because there was traces of that green dried up stuff around the hose in the picture above.

#15 · (Edited)
Sorry didn't Mean to Track down the wrong road , just checking for Accuracy in Statement .

Is it Condensation - Unless that Rust Marks are coming from - Up above - like the Windshield Area .
( I take It No Heavy Winter Boot Traffic - Snow Shoes etc. Lots of Snow in Car ? )

The Other Item would be Heater - Core - off top of My head , but check Me on that .
( You mention No Smell - which makes No sense as it would surely Smell even 60 water 40 Antifreeze Smells )

Next is it possible You have Both ( Yes ) ,( A Leaking Windshield & Small Cracked Coolant Over flow Tank ) so You need to Narrow it down .
( This Green - Algae - from Long Term Wetness ? )

I'd start by placing a Tracing Agent into the Coolant : Hopefully It's Not the Heater Core .
UV Lamp A UV lamp is a lamp that gives off ultraviolet light that will show coolant leaks when used with a UV coolant dye.

#16 ·
Hi EngTech,

The fluid is of a watery consistency, no odour, but it's got a green/neon tint to it. After cleaning that bendable rubber hose, the leak seems to be going faster.

#17 ·
m4gician - Bumping this thread as I'm noticing some moisture in the passenger footwell of Mrs. T's 2005 V50 T5 AWD.

Checked the sunroof drain...works as it should (snipped and cleaned these out a few years ago).

It doesn't smell like coolant, but does have a greenish tint to it and feels 'soapy'? Was your problem resolved by cleaning out the bendable rubber hose...or was it a bigger problem with the heater core?

#18 ·
m4gician - Bumping this thread as I'm noticing some moisture in the passenger footwell of Mrs. T's 2005 V50 T5 AWD.

Checked the sunroof drain...works as it should (snipped and cleaned these out a few years ago).

It doesn't smell like coolant, but does have a greenish tint to it and feels 'soapy'? Was your problem resolved by cleaning out the bendable rubber hose...or was it a bigger problem with the heater core?
Pull down the black carpeting that covers the underside of the glove box, look around and see if you see any green drips. If you see that it's either the heater core or the o-rings to the heater core.

#19 ·
Yeah - definitely coolant...but can't tell if it's from o-rings or heater core. Anyone have the part # for the o-rings? Found a great write up here on how to get to the heater core/o-rings. Looks like a weekend project...

#21 · (Edited)
#22 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for all this information. Similar to many of you, I have had leaking/drainage issues with my 2005 V50 T5 (RHD). I had the whole sunroof drain blockage two years ago, and sorted that out. Recently I noticed liquid building up in the back-seat drivers side footwell. I unbolted the seats and pulled up the carpets - completely soaked through the carpets and underlay foam, all of them. They have been drying for days. I found that some of the pooled liquid had a yellow tint, and a soapy feel - just like the coolant mix I'm currently using. I sure wish I were using Volvo blue mix - would make diagnosis easier!

I changed out the o-ring on the heater core pipe underneath the fuse box. The o-ring was shredded, and the clamp was disconnected. I had hoped that would resolve the issue, but it didn't. Since my carpets are out and drying in my garage, I am able to quickly see any water ingress. The dripping is coming from behind the centre console, dripping onto the dark green foam that is jammed in near the air box, and even dripping onto one of the wiring harnesses. Before I take the plunge and replace the heater core, am wondering if anybody has thoughts on what else it might be? I see online that the average heater core runs about $450... I also see some knock-offs for around $90, which is enticing but scary at the same time.

Any thoughts appreciated!!!

#23 ·
Do yourself a favor and don't buy a cheap heater core, it's such a pain to deal with that you might as well buy either a genuine core or high quality after market. I didn't have the money to spend on a Volvo heater core so my mechanic used a Nissens heater core instead and I have no complaints. I think it might get warmer a bit slower but it's negligible. The cheap cores might be really good, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.