SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Which grill should I use?

You choose my grill

26K views 139 replies 30 participants last post by  prkrnt 
#1 · (Edited)
Those interested in the different grill patterns for when I sell them, here is your order of priority:

Audi RS style: I bought a 38'x29" sheet so I will have left overs if anyone wants to split them. The sheet is so big it could literally do SEVEN grills.

1. Ksimp88 (Sent and received)
2. colovolvo (Sent and received)
3. DevolvR (In progress)
4. AMDG (In progress)
5. R-Title (Sent)
6. Trav8832 (Sent and received)
7. NYR (Cancelled)
8. benjamincab9 (Sent)
9. Stuntman315 (Tentative)
10. Maverick188 (Next batch?)
11. TheGerman (Next batch?)
12. OJS (Next batch?)
13. flybikes (Next batch?)
14. Karpiak (Next batch?)
15. Notyourmomsvolvo (Next batch?)

Actual product images

passat3cfront by Saleen9090, on Flickr

Diamond woven wire: Looking to get rid off, will only do one grill

1. No takers

IMG_5646 by Saleen9090, on Flickr

Honeycomb: Looking to get rid off, will only do one grill

1. BryanO'Blivion

IMG_5649 by Saleen9090, on Flickr

Original Post

I am having trouble choosing. I bought both materials because they were cheap and I wanted to see them in person. The trim of the grill will be a plasti dip flat black and the grill is going to be painted black chrome like my emblems. I have no need for whichever one I do not choose if anyone wants it.

Diamond pattern woven wire

IMG_5646 by Saleen9090, on Flickr

IMG_5647 by Saleen9090, on Flickr

Honeycomb

IMG_5648 by Saleen9090, on Flickr

IMG_5649 by Saleen9090, on Flickr

See less See more
#3 ·
The ONLY woven wire I could find had the extra crimp in it which makes it glisten in the sunlight. You can see what I mean in the second pic. I wanted more of a straight wire so I am already leaning away from this one.

#4 ·
I think they both look good. I'm actually doing a grille project my self right now and could use which ever one you don't use :)

#7 ·
Not really. There are clips you need to press to free it up. Trying to force it off would ruin the tabs that hold it in.

#9 ·
I like your craftsmanship man (ie your headlights) but although I voted for the honeycomb, I think you should keep looking for something with more visual weight.

#12 ·
The pic isn't high enough resolution for me to tell but is that a wider honeycomb? Any idea where to buy?

#13 ·
Check customcargrills.com they have a lot of different varieties including scrap pile and powder coated

#15 ·
do a thicker gauge woven wire but don't do diamonds, do squares. thicker gauge wire and larger squares. 3/4" - 1". this is what I wanted to do when I embarked on my grill project but couldn't source what I wanted for a good price and I got anxious to get started so I went with cheaper material but not exactly what I wanted. woven wire looks awesome! even that stuff with the extra crimp wouldn't be my first choice but doesn't look that bad. might be better if you painted it too. if you decide to go honeycomb, get bigger honeycombs. double the dimension they are now. my .02. I voted for woven wire

#18 ·
With enough searching, I finally found the grill I think I want:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-H...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d041dec1d&vxp=mtr

It comes in a huge sheet. Anyone else want to split the cost and buy half from me? Would give an Audi RS style to your grill. It's coming from Germany so shipping cost sucks, would be opportune to split it with someone to regain some of that cash.

Oh and of course previous two grills are now for sale :)

#22 ·
Remove grill from car, use a dremel with a cutting tool to cut out the center (leaving only the trim), find a way to adhere the new grill to the trim. I used hot glue last time and it worked pretty good.

#26 ·
Honestly, there might be enough for three or more people since it is 38" x 29" and our grills are only 20" x 5". The more, the merrier.

#29 ·
I always thought the lower one was less for the look and more the practical reason of protecting the front parts, especially with a FMIC. the foglights and rear bumper is obviously just asthetics but I just threw that out there because I had worked out how much material was needed to do them all when I was looking for some, so just incase any others had the same thoughts lol

#30 ·
I like how the lower grill is a wide open cavity especially if you have a FMIC (which I don't). To me a car looks much more aggressive without that grill. Same argument as to why our foglight covers look much better slotted than solid. A 1999 Nissan Skyline with an aftermarket IC sends chills down my spine because of how open the lower opening is. If I did do a FMIC, the functionality would be awesome but I would almost be more interested in the appearance too. God I love that.

#31 ·
if there is enough left for an upper grille and both fog lights, i am very much in. also interested in that honeycomb you're lookin to offload if the plastic is all spoken for. PM me about details and prices.

#32 ·
I started an interest list in the original post. Still alot of grill material left so chime in. Also, if anyone wants to send me their grill, I would do it for them since I have all the tools. Driving a DD without a grill is no big deal so DD are welcome.

#34 ·
I think I am already set on the Audi RS style grill but won't know until it comes in the mail. Then I am going to hold each one up to the car and see which one I like best. The Audi RS style grills look sick on Audis but that doesn't always translate to other manufacturers.

#37 ·
Awesome Alfred. Like I said in the original post, this large sheet can do up to 7 grills!

I am going to try the Audi RS grill with the slash and "R", with the "R" only, and bare. I don't know which one I will like better.

#40 ·
Really excited that this Audi RS style grill material is due to show up tomorrow! I would consider myself an impatient person so a 1 month wait is an achievement for me. The eBay seller says it is actual genuine from an Audi manufacturing plant. Whether or not that is true, idk, but it is coming from Germany.

#42 ·
I'd like to have one for the front main grill if you have any left please. Feel free to PM. Thanks

#43 ·
I'll just add you to the list in the original post. There should be enough for at least 7 grills if everyone only wants to do the main grill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.