My V50 1.8F 2008 going R-design!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My V50 1.8F 2008 going R-design!

First of all, sorry for the photo bombing!

Anyway:
      I'm quite new to this forum but have been lurking around A LOT. Thought that I should do a progress thread as well. Nothing fancy to be honest...
      In May 2012 I bought a really basic Volvo V50 with the small 1.8F engine. Was looking for a R-design to start with but they're a bit more expensive.

After a while I saw that there was quite a market for scrapped Volvos and if you're lucky, you could get the parts for almost nothing!
      So it began.. My inner child was born! I'm getting a R-design on my own! I have NO expertise regarding cars other than a high interest for it but I've never done anything to a car before. #yolo?

What's been done:
      Roof spoiler [x]
      Newer trunk handle with chromed stripe and and spaced out VOLVO [x]
      Fully LED conversion inside and outside [x]
      Silver rails [x]
      R-design mirror caps [x]
      R-design front spoiler [x]
      R-design rear spoiler [x]
      R-design side skirts [x]
      New rims, Dotz Roadster HG 19" [x]
      Lower it! Eibach Pro 25mm [x]
      New brake pads all around [x]
      Paint brake callipers, silver [x]
      Iron badge grille [x]
      R-design grille badge [x]
      Replaced the foglights with OEM DRL modules [x]
      R-design pedals [x]

Future plans:
      Dual exhaust []
      R-design gear knob []
      R-design steering wheel []
      R-design gauges []
      Strip the car of the silver rails (Something for 2014) []
      Replace the waterfall, door handles etc since the old ones are quite worn out []
      Any other ideas?

This is how it looked when I bought it:

At first I just bought the things that I came across and through eBay.co.uk I found a roof spoiler which already was painted in the right color, and in good condition too. ~£100 with shipping included.

I have A LOT of pictures going through each steps when I'm modifying the car so I'll be carefull with uploading them since they might take a lot of bandwidth for you. But if you'd like to see those pictures I'll just upload them.

Looking waaaay better with the spoiler!

After a while I got a hold on the newer trunk handle with wider spacing between the letters and also the chromed trim. ~£60 shipping included.
      Before:

After:

Then I got this baby, also in the right color, maybe you can guess which one I'm changing to. ~£100 including shipping. Gotta love the R-design!

Had a haaaard time to remove the front bumper to be able to remove the spoiler from it but then it just went like a charm.

After:

Decided to change some bulbs, here you can see the foglights. Original to the left and new LED to the right:

Left foglight changed:

Both foglights and left parking light changed:

Since the more updated models of V50 came out I really would like to have those silver roof bars but they're damn expensive! Even at scrappers! But one day I got a hold of a guy in my town who recently bought a black V50 and he didn't like the silver bars at all and wondered if I'd like to just swap my black ones right off!
      "I'll be there in 10 minutes" I said, lol. £0!

Got a new rear spoiler, R-design of course with cut-outs for double pipes and towing hook.
      Until now I still havn't got time or money to get the double pipe-exhaust but the plan is to get it done this summer. ~£60 including shipping, had to get it re-painted ~£30.

Removed the rear bumper:

New one vs old one:

Found a guy who had a pair of these R-design mirror caps for a cheap one. ~£50.

After:

More R-design! Got these from a S40N, fitted right off! ~£80, re-paint ~£40.

Got the side skirts really cheap but these little buggers ruined me! £60 for small plastic thingies!!!
      But I had to get them to be able to fit the new side skirts... Oh well.

New vs old:

Got her a bit of cleaning:

I saw you guys talking about road salt earlier this year, this is how the Swedish motorway is treating you after 500 miles in 2 days.

And at last... This is were I am today with the new wheels on. Dotz Roadster 19" with 225/35 tires. £small fortune.
      Last edited by rentalcar; 01-28-2014 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Updating

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Tis not R-Design! Tis Sport!

Without the seats and grill it ain't an R-Design!
      If you read this, then you haven't understood, that my posting is above this text!

Quote Originally Posted by daim View Post
      Tis not R-Design! Tis Sport!
      Without the seats and grill it ain't an R-Design!
      Haha yeah I get your point! The grill will be fixed as soon as possible but the seats.... I have those child seats in the back which you fold up and I don't think they're available on the R-design seats. Since we got a little boy last November we're keeping the seats. As simple as that.
      But I think I'd like to change the door handles and waterfall to R-design! And maybe the steering wheel as well but that isn't as high on the priority list as lowering it and double exhaust.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just call it sport
      If you read this, then you haven't understood, that my posting is above this text!

Quote Originally Posted by daim View Post
      Just call it sport
      Naaa, you could get the R-design without the 2-colored seats!
      And as far as I know, here in Sweden, the sport-model is the one PRE facelift, after that it's just R-design or standard.

Nice one! But I guess I told you that before ;-)
      Volvo V50 - 1.6D - brilliant blue - H&R springs - Mirzam (S) SerapisC (W)

Great looking car!

Thank you guys!
      Today I put an order for some lowering springs, Eibach 25mm will do the trick! Cheap as ****, better hope they'll turn out alright.

this is what it looks like with H&R -35mm springs:

Exeres: That's some fine a$$ rims you got there! I was thinking I would go with H&R 35mm from the start but since my GF is using the car now and then she didn't want it to get toooo low.
      I don't think H&R 35mm would be a problem during winter but it MIGHT be as well as 25mm, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. The winters here in Sweden can be real **** sometimes with A LOT of snow..

This summer i'll be in Sweden for a week. When you're in the neighbourhood, you can see it yourself ;-)

Welcome! ...Nice and clean! You've got quite a list of mods already, keep it up!

Exeres: Stockholm?
      VVS40: Thanks! Yeah, most of the basic mods are done but it's quite hard to get that personal touch to it.. :/

On topic:
      I need some help here. Recently I've had some problems with oil leakage. A few days ago I went to my local dealershop/mechanic to have a look at it. The plastic plate beneath the engine was FILLED with oil and after a lot of cleaning he got to the conclusion that it might be coming from above. He said that it looks like someone refilled the engine with oil but put like, half of it ON the engine instead of IN the engine. So he showed me what to look for the next couple of days and yesterday it looked like it had stopped.. Until today. There's not much coming out of it but it's still leaking.

This area was covered with oil when I got to the shop and 100% dry when I went home. And today it looks like this and that's why I think that it's somewhere here the oil's coming from.
      Any ideas of what could have happened, how to repair, what to expect, is it a common thing? Help needed!

No...we'll be in Håverud. On the other side of Sweden... (closer to the Volvo-museum ;-) )

Exeres: Aaah that's a "shame"...

On topic:
      I'm thinking that the oil leakage could be caused by a damaged valve cover gasket (I think that's the right word), any ideas?

Good job on the cosmetic mods and getting it done cheaply. Car looks good.

aldebaran: Thank you!

On topic:
      I have an idea that I need some help with. I love the puddle lights but I'm NOT buying a whole side mirror with arm and everything for $4-500 just for that. I was thinking that a LED strip would fit underneath the door, am I right? This picture is from an Audi and this is what I want!

On eBay there's TONS of "projectors" like this one:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Latest-...08e913&vxp=mtr
      Maybe that's the way to go but I don't want that cheesy VOLVO logo, I just want a clear light.

So guys, what do you think? Is it possible? If so, any tricks and good-to-know?

Why not simply buy the door mirror frame... Costs something like €80/side... With the opening for the puddle lights. You transfer your parts to that and done

daim: I've only found the whole package and because of that they're quite more expensive.
      And the last couple of days thinking of this mod I've just getting more and more into it, regardless of the puddle lights.

Volvo sells them separatly...

daim: Maybe I should call them and check what they would cost here in Sweden.

Anyway, if I can handle the work I still think that the LED strip underneath the door would work, a little different thing to it.

Bumpeli bump, I still need some help figuring this one out about the wires behind the door cards..

Door cards have rivets (3 plastic, i just pushed them through with a screw driver). The rest is all bolts.

Where are the wires starting and terminating?
      2005 Volvo S40 2.4i M/T Ice White, 200k+
      H&R Springs, Mazdaspeed3 RSB, EST Strut Brace, H&R spacers, E-Focus Torque Mount, Updated Left Mount, K&N filter, Deunicorned, Rebadged rear, LED's, Sport Pedals, Alu. Shifter, AutoX Drivermod

Yeah it seems quite easy to remove the door cards but I don't even know what kind of wires that are in there, let alone what they are for. The lights I bought has 2 wires from it, guess it's + and - and somehow I need to steal/"borrow" some to get them to work as I want.

Finally! Eibach Lowering Springs 25mm.

It took TWO days for the springs to arrive, Germany -> Sweden. That's fast!

I know that there are a few guys here that are better with Photoshop than me and I can't decide what color to get for the brake calipers that would match the car. Help please?

So fresh and so clean!
      Volvo V50 1.8F 2008 Metallic Blue, not a R-design from the start but I'm converting it to one!
      Done: R-design bodykit, sport spoiler, Eibach Pro 25mm, Dotz Roadster 19" on 225/35, fully LED converted inside and out. More to come at:
      Project thread!

Saw a car on here with orange calipers matching the turn signals, looked mental. It would contrast the blue really well imho.
      H&R Springs, Mazdaspeed3 RSB, EST Strut Brace, H&R spacers, E-Focus Torque Mount, Updated Left Mount, K&N filter, Deunicorned, Rebadged rear, LED's, Sport Pedals, Alu. Shifter, AutoX Drivermod

Oh, I haven't thought of that!
      As for now I think that I'll paint them silver to match the R-design mirrors and silver roof rails.. With the smaller engine that I've got the car comes with the smaller discs which may look even smaller with 19" rims on. That said, something like red or orange calipers might look stupid. BUT! If I don't like the silver paint I'll sure have a look at orange instead of red which was my choice at first. Thanks!
      Volvo V50 1.8F 2008 Metallic Blue, not a R-design from the start but I'm converting it to one!
      Done: R-design bodykit, sport spoiler, Eibach Pro 25mm, Dotz Roadster 19" on 225/35, fully LED converted inside and out. More to come at:
      Project thread!

Red would catch the tails but I'd skip painting the calipers unless I wanted to highlight them, brembo, wilwood or maybe 320mm. For the little guys, I say let them do their work in privacy.

Everything looks good man, I think it's time for you to start tinkering with suspension more (strut brace, sway bar) and then under the bonnet you go

Indeed, silver it is then.

Is it really necessary with strut brace and a sway bar with my kind of engine? I mean, it's not a rally car with those 125hp under the hood which is nearly impossible to do some performance/tuning with.
      I think the handling of the car increased a lot just with the new wider tires (before: 195/55/15", now: 225/35/19")
      Project thread!

Tuning is not a choice, what if you could take that corner 5mph faster with that sway bar?... had an aux input with a sub in the trunk?... Hit sort by views and you'll see some epic S40's, Kenwood audio w/ professional install, k16 turbos, carputers overcoming fiber optic challenges.

These and other question will plague you more and more my friend, now if I could just find some trim like yours on the cheap

You got a point there. I've been think about a strut brace since they're not that expensive but after it's been lowered I really need to get that dual exhaust from a T5. It looks ridiculous from the behind right now with nothing in place.
      Since I've got the High Performance stereo I also got aux, that I'm not using really.. MP3 cds works better because I want to control the music through the steering wheel. I've looked at the OEM subwoofer but that is like $300 IF I'M LUCKY finding a used one.

Otherwise I really like the OEM speakers that comes with High Performance, it sounds great and LOUD. But of course, everything could get better only putting the time, cash and effort to it.
      Then again I'm getting more and more frustrated that I didn't get a T5 or something from the beginning, this 1.8F works like a charm and is great fun to drive but it would be nice to pick it up a notch.
      Project thread!

If you're having T5 ideas, you've been bitten and you need garlic a wooden stake and a magnum loaded with a silver bullet if things get outta hand.

Before doing the exhaust swap, de-unicorn your machine (saw off the tip that's sealed and remove the insulation with long needle nose pliers) , the added growl may be all you really need.

Kamau: I'll have that in mind when the time comes for the exhaust swap! Thank you!

In a few days I'll be visiting my hometown and my father who is an old car mechanic. Time to do some magic with the car!
      This is what I hope to get fixed in ONE day:
      Lowering it with the Eibach 25mm springs.
      Change all 4 brake pads around the car.
      Paint the brake calipers.
      Install the LED projectors into the doors (I'll start with the front doors as I only bought 2 pieces.)
      Change the valve cover gasket and hope that the oil leakage will stop.
      Re-do some painting on the R-design side sills because the painter totally missed a few parts, not that visible but I can't stand it..

Phew.. Hope that it'll all work out as I have planned.
      I'm going to try out to put the door LEDs onto the foot well lighting wires as they behave just as I want the doors to do. Had a look at the connections and how-to earlier today and it seems to be quite an easy job BUT I have not figured out how to pull the wiring behind the panel and through the door.. You really need small hands to get it up there, maybe a stiff steel wire will do the trick.

I'll leave you guys for a couple of days with this picture and hope to get back next weekend with a few updates!
      Project thread!

F***! Yesterday I finally got some time over to deal with the door LED projectors.. Haven't had any time to get to it in the last couple of weeks.
      I started off disassembling the door panel, not as easy as I thought but with some force those little clips popped out of place. So far so good! Not.
      When removing the door panel there is an aluminium panel behind it which is bolted on. I tried to remove it to more easily be able to get the cables when I've pulled them through the rubber thing connecting the cables from the door to the car. But it is bolted somewhere in the middle and only way to remove those is to put the drill on it which I didn't want to do at first, I wanted to see if there's any other way to get a hold of the cables so I continued with the rubber housing between the door and the car and once again I got stuck..

Removing the aluminium is an easy task if I want to put the drill in it but the rubber housing was not what I hoped for. The cables from the car through the rubber goes into a socket! Which means that it does not contain cables all the way from the car into the door! (insert sadface)
      All this work (aprox 2h) for nothing! And now I have noooo idea how to proceed with the LED projectors. I could do the wiring visible but I don't think the cables would last that long being squeezed between the door and the car all the time but most of all I want it stealth, so it would look OEM for the car.

Any ideas?
      I might be able to connect it to the speaker wires or something since it was a lot of cables in there but I do want the LED turn on when the door is open - just as the foot well light does.

Anyway, as most of you know the car has been lowered, I've painted the brake callipers, I've changed brake pads all around, I've been at a photoshoot trying different rims for my friends shop.
      And most of you have already seen the pics from the photoshoot but I'll post them here as well when I'm not at my gfs computer.
      Cheerios!
      Project thread!

Totally offtopic question: Are you going to the VROM in Gothenburg this summer?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast