Am I crazy....
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Thread: Am I crazy....

Am I crazy....

or do you guys notice a jump in performance after an oil change?

I just seem to notice better throttle response & more "seat of your pants" performance after doing an oil change.

I'm being serious, it's kinda weird.
      2005 Volvo S60R: Black Sapphire/ Nordkap; GT5spd; BONE STOCK (Working on it... just bought it! )
      2002 Chevy Tahoe LS: 5.5L; Headers; K&N CAI; TDI Throttle Body Spacer; Predator Tuned
      1968 Plymouth Fury: 383 w/ TF727; Holley 830; Hooker Headers; Performer RPM Nitrous Kit; 3.91 Sure-Grip

Quote Originally Posted by blairboy3 View Post
      or do you guys notice a jump in performance after an oil change?

I just seem to notice better throttle response & more "seat of your pants" performance after doing an oil change.

I'm being serious, it's kinda weird.
      Placebo Effect.
      2004 S60R MT Titanium Gray w/ Gobi Interior | MONSTROUS Stage Bro 20PSI Tune by HiltonTuning | CXRACING: FMIC | AEM & DevilsOwn: Meth Injection Hybrid | ARD: 11 Blade | OBX: Downpipe| Catback: CUSTOM BUILT | Snabb: Intake Pipe | ViVA: UR Braces, CBV(FORGE), Shifter Bushings | TWM: M1 Abrams, Short Shifter | IPD: VR TS Sways, U/L Poly Mounts, Strut Bar Poly, Sport Springs| H&R: 10mm/15mm | Swedish Boost Mafia | AMSOIL Authorized Dealer

I think it just might be you lol. But after a oil change I do feel satisfied lol.
      2007 S60 R GT Titanium Grey - BUILD THREAD
      1997 VW Jetta 2.0 - Daily Beater
      IG: @boostedR

No not for oil changes, but for car washes, yes!
      2006 Volvo S60R GT - World Rally Blue w/ Black Wheels - Nordkap
      Performance ARD: Carbon Tune | Snabb: Intake pipe | IPD: AMS | VIVA: Upgraded CBV | CNT: Downpipe

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo - White w/ Peg Reps - Beige

Fresh clay bar and wax is good for 15hp!
      2007 V70R GT, Black Sapphire, Nordkap, Nav, Sub Woofer & Bluetooth, Track Spec Sways, EBD & Resonator Delete, Four-C-Mod, Machined Pegs

Maybe I feel better about mashing the pedal with fresh oil, rather than when I know the oil needs changing

I do notice slightly better gas mileage.. especially since I switched over to Rotella T6. Nothing major... just a couple mpg's better (measured by setting cruise control to the same MPH on the same stretch of freeway to work... everyday)

Placebo Effect.
      LOL, yeah.. probably right. It does feel good to drain that dark dirty oil from the crank case & re-fill it w/ golden synthetic goodness!

Fresh clay bar and wax is good for 15hp!
      All joking aside.. I'm definitely due for a good detailing. Just waiting for a nice, somewhat warm overcast day.
      2005 Volvo S60R: Black Sapphire/ Nordkap; GT5spd; BONE STOCK (Working on it... just bought it! )
      2002 Chevy Tahoe LS: 5.5L; Headers; K&N CAI; TDI Throttle Body Spacer; Predator Tuned
      1968 Plymouth Fury: 383 w/ TF727; Holley 830; Hooker Headers; Performer RPM Nitrous Kit; 3.91 Sure-Grip

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen9090 View Post
      No not for oil changes, but for car washes, yes!
      Car washes make me feel refreshed
      2007 S60 R GT Titanium Grey - BUILD THREAD
      1997 VW Jetta 2.0 - Daily Beater
      IG: @boostedR

I guess it depends on how long ago you did your last oil change; either far too long or never, you'll notice it more
      04 S60 R | MT | Matte Frozen Grey | Nordkap ( mods & evolution & pictures )
      19x8.5 VMR V713 | RICA I | phuz DP | Quad Tip Exhaust | Eibach | Sport Kit | Lots of stuff...

Maybe I feel better about mashing the pedal with fresh oil, rather than when I know the oil needs changing

I do notice slightly better gas mileage.. especially since I switched over to Rotella T6. Nothing major... just a couple mpg's better (measured by setting cruise control to the same MPH on the same stretch of freeway to work... everyday)

LOL, yeah.. probably right. It does feel good to drain that dark dirty oil from the crank case & re-fill it w/ golden synthetic goodness!
      A few MPG is pretty major if you ask me. I have never noticed an MPG increase with fresh oil. Since the idea of oil is to change it before it becomes ineffective, you shouldn't be noticing that much unless you ran some crap oil or ran it 10k miles.
      Performance ARD: Carbon Tune | Snabb: Intake pipe | IPD: AMS | VIVA: Upgraded CBV | CNT: Downpipe

LOL... I try do them every 4000 miles, but went 4500 miles between this one & the last. It tends to work out to whenever the "Low Oil" indicator comes on after an oil change. When that message comes on, I just change the oil. This last time I didn't have the time, so just threw another quart in until I could get to it.

A few MPG is pretty major if you ask me. I have never noticed an MPG increase with fresh oil. Since the idea of oil is to change it before it becomes ineffective, you shouldn't be noticing that much unless you ran some crap oil or ran it 10k miles.
      I'm really only talking about 1 or 2 MPG's difference. I'll admit I'm not being totally scientific about it.. .just going off of the real-time MPG #'s while driving. It could just be coincidence.

I'm really only talking about 1 or 2 MPG's difference. I'll admit I'm not being totally scientific about it.. .just going off of the real-time MPG #'s while driving. It could just be coincidence.
      The average MPG would be much more accurate if you were to track it. The instantaneous doesn't mean anything even if you have your cruise set on a flat road before and after the oil change. Wind resistance alone would affect this without mentioning other factors.

I'm sure you're right. The average MPG always seems way too low though. I don't do all that much city driving. A couple blocks off the freeway to the parking garage by my office, and I live about a 1/2 mile from the freeway. I cruise to & from work w/ very little speed variation for traffic getting 27-30mpg's (again.. going off the real-time monitor). My avg MPG's never seem to get above 20. I'll fill my tank, clear all my MPG data, drive to work showing 27-30mpg's (real-time), park my car in the parking garage, and the Avg. MPG is like 19.6... even though for 20 out of the 21 miles I just drove I was getting more than 26MPG's. It doesn't seem right.

I'm sure you're right. The average MPG always seems way too low though. I don't do all that much city driving. A couple blocks off the freeway to the parking garage by my office, and I live about a 1/2 mile from the freeway. I cruise to & from work w/ very little speed variation for traffic getting 27-30mpg's (again.. going off the real-time monitor). My avg MPG's never seem to get above 20. I'll fill my tank, clear all my MPG data, drive to work showing 27-30mpg's (real-time), park my car in the parking garage, and the Avg. MPG is like 19.6... even though for 20 out of the 21 miles I just drove I was getting more than 26MPG's. It doesn't seem right.
      Only way to be sure is to do the old fashioned algebra method. Miles driven divided by gallons the next time you fill up.

Even with the little bit of city driving, I believe the numbers. These cars really suck with city MPG. My old 850 was the same way. Around 26mpg highway and 14mpg city. I always averaged about 17mpg.

Am I crazy....
      I'd have to say yes.......
      totally stock.. honest

Mind blown!

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...-a-bottle.aspx

And before you just shout snake oil, know that Mike Kojima is legit and highly respected in Nissan land. He has a Built to the wall 600 plus hp Twin Turbo 300zx that was the reason for me buying one (it was a project car in SCC, which he was a writer for).
      2004 V70R m/t Parting Out see classifieds http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...per-spare-tire
      2006 V70R Sonic Blue A/T new!
      1994 Nissan 300 zx twin turbo

i feel its faster after a good wash and wax and a oil change. NOW try 100 octane. a full tank of it every 5-6 months with a cool night in the high 50's low 60's tell me its not a night an day
      Owned- 1998 Monte Carlo Z34, 1989 GMC Sonoma, 1990 VOLVO 740GL, 1998 Jetta 2.slow, 1998 Mazda Protege, 1996 Honda Del Sol SI, 2002 Monte Carlo LS, 1996 Lexus SC400, 1995 Lexus SC300, 2004 Chrysler Crossfire Limited.

2006 Volvo S60R GT (Magic Blue with Gobi), RKelly with K&N.

You own an R, so the answer is, "Undoubtedly".
      2004 S60R Auto Silver/Nordkap, 18" Pegs, Bob Villa mod, CAI mod, Trans cooler, HID fogs, SS brake lines, Stage 0 (again)... this is Volvo #16...
      1st Car - 1965 122S Amazon! A Volvo saved my life - 9/12/94
      "I like ours with the black trim better, at least it doesn't look like it was painted at Maaco!" = Mrs Paisley, on driving an 04...

arent you supposed to get better mileage out of older oil cause as it breaks down you have less resistance?
      04 vR GT Titicama- Gsx Todd DP - Phuzzy HDTCV - IPD Stage 2 - JRL Mod - IPD boost gauge

I would think that older.. broken down oil loses some of it's lubricating properties & therefore increases friction.

Quote Originally Posted by spinall4 View Post
      Mind blown!

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...-a-bottle.aspx

And before you just shout snake oil, know that Mike Kojima is legit and highly respected in Nissan land. He has a Built to the wall 600 plus hp Twin Turbo 300zx that was the reason for me buying one (it was a project car in SCC, which he was a writer for).
      Hmmmm, anyone tried this in an R? The reviews seem 50/50 in terms of results. Seems like results might be car-dependent.

Hmmmm, anyone tried this in an R? The reviews seem 50/50 in terms of results. Seems like results might be car-dependent.
      It seemed a little too spendy for me on one of my daily drivers as I already put Amsoil in my cars and this would be another $50 per oil change on top of that, but it does seem interesting to me.
      2004 V70R m/t Parting Out see classifieds http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...per-spare-tire
      2006 V70R Sonic Blue A/T new!
      1994 Nissan 300 zx twin turbo