Sensus Connected Touch - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      With a T5 polestar is not an option and I'd also like to have NAV in th 7" screen. Even without the touch screen, it seems like it is about $1800 and my car has the nav prep. I could do without steering wheel controls etc... - seems like there would be a cheaper way.
      __________________________________________________ _____
      Current: 2012 S60 T5
      Previous: 1984 DL, 1988 240, 1995 850, 1999 S70 AWD, 2003 V70

For $1800 you could buy an iPad, vehicle mount, and Polestar...
      Current: 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design | Electric Silver / Nubtex | Platinum eBLIS Tech HeatedFrontSeats | R/F Cargo Mat [Long-Term Review Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD

who wants to be the first guinea pig
      2012 Ice White S60 T6 AWD
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
      who wants to be the first guinea pig
      New here, but I'll take a stab. I tried it on a car this afternoon. 2014 XC60. Wasn't as fantastic as I thought it'd be, and for $1700, I'd rather save the coin and have a new laptop.

I tethered it to a hotspot on my phone after pulling over during a test drive, because both the salesperson and I wanted to see what functionality it would provide. It had an icon for Apps, Settings, Maps (which were GHETTO google maps -- i've owned my share of android devices, and this was bottom of the barrel android mapping), it had iGo Navigation system which was pretty nice, though it was all touch screen. But the iGO was definitely nice. This will primarily be my wife's car, and I could easily see her get frustrated attempting to use touch navigation (especially since the touch screen is deep within the pocket of the dash, and the surrounding bezel made access to it somewhat difficult. There were several times both the salesperson and I had to multi-touch, since it didn't accept the first attempt. If a woman with any sort of fingernails would attempt to use it, it would be useless given its depth within the dash, and its responsiveness. It was not "iPad" responsive, if you will. It also had apps for TuneIn and Spotify. And, it had a "Connect Audio" app (so I assume it's for the USB connectors or line in connector). The Internet app was a low end Android based browser, which brought up Google's search homepage. Not sure real value with that, since I'd use my phone or ipad to get to the internet instead.

I'd say of everything offered for $1700, the iGO navigation was about the only thing worth the expense. Most of the other elements were either accessible via other methods (Settings, Connect), or weren't very useful, given the age of smartphones and tablets. Hope that helps.

I Thought So

Quote Originally Posted by eazymac View Post
      New here, but I'll take a stab. I tried it on a car this afternoon. 2014 XC60. Wasn't as fantastic as I thought it'd be, and for $1700, I'd rather save the coin and have a new laptop.

I tethered it to a hotspot on my phone after pulling over during a test drive, because both the salesperson and I wanted to see what functionality it would provide. It had an icon for Apps, Settings, Maps (which were GHETTO google maps -- i've owned my share of android devices, and this was bottom of the barrel android mapping), it had iGo Navigation system which was pretty nice, though it was all touch screen. But the iGO was definitely nice. This will primarily be my wife's car, and I could easily see her get frustrated attempting to use touch navigation (especially since the touch screen is deep within the pocket of the dash, and the surrounding bezel made access to it somewhat difficult. There were several times both the salesperson and I had to multi-touch, since it didn't accept the first attempt. If a woman with any sort of fingernails would attempt to use it, it would be useless given its depth within the dash, and its responsiveness. It was not "iPad" responsive, if you will. It also had apps for TuneIn and Spotify. And, it had a "Connect Audio" app (so I assume it's for the USB connectors or line in connector). The Internet app was a low end Android based browser, which brought up Google's search homepage. Not sure real value with that, since I'd use my phone or ipad to get to the internet instead.

I'd say of everything offered for $1700, the iGO navigation was about the only thing worth the expense. Most of the other elements were either accessible via other methods (Settings, Connect), or weren't very useful, given the age of smartphones and tablets. Hope that helps.
      You just confirmed one of my beliefs - The display is too small and positioned too deep to lend itself to touch screen use, at least for the driver.
      2013 FWD Flamenco Red S60 T5, platinum, climate and tech packages with BLIS.
      2010 Subaru Outback

That ^. I also really don't think using the sensor technology over a proper touch screen makes sense. The responsiveness is undoubtedly in part due to the way that works. (Edit: looks below like responsiveness could be inconsistent at worst?)

The reviews I've seen for the Parrot devices aren't glowing for iGo, either. I'd be using Waze, personally. (Edit: I thought Waze was available but maybe it hasn't been enabled for Connected Touch yet. Is is in Asteroid Market.)

If you can afford a $1700 accessory like this, can't you afford a pair of touch-screen-friendly gloves? And wouldn't you prioritize the climate package over this if you lived somewhere cold enough that you need to wear gloves while driving anyway??
      Last edited by matt1122; 07-29-2013 at 12:00 PM.
      Current: 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design | Electric Silver / Nubtex | Platinum eBLIS Tech HeatedFrontSeats | R/F Cargo Mat [Long-Term Review Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD

Had the chance to play with this at the Canadian Volvo Club meet yesterday. I was impressed with the snappiness of the system. Question for Yannis: will the system be as responsive if retrofitted to a 2011 S60? Not sure if it was a hardware or software thing but it felt 10X quicker than the Sensus in my car.

I don't really need it for the Nav since I am already Nav equipped but if more apps become available (Waze especially) that would seal it for me.
      2000 V70 R| 2011 S60 T6 Polestar AWD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12