X-posted from general forum: Window sticker of dealership-purchased Volvo says "OSD"
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

X-posted from general forum: Window sticker of dealership-purchased Volvo says "OSD"

Hopefully cross-posting isn't frowned upon here, but wasn't sure which forum to put this in:

Recently bought a new S60 at a dealer and the window sticker said "OSD" as opposed to all the info usually placed on the sticker per US law. The salesman told me that the manager adds to the inventory by ordering some vehicles via the Overseas Delivery Program, and that's part of how they get some interesting and otherwise unavailable color combos (mine was black/beechwood and there was also one in bright red and one in electric blue).

I was promised that the vehicle, which only had 22 miles on it, wasn't toured around Europe and was never titled previously but the more I think about it the more this seems odd/off to me. Wouldn't the US gov't still require the standard info on the sticker? Does anyone have any additional information about this, or if this is a common dealer practice? I read on an old thread here that when OSD vehicles arrive here they receive that sticker since they are technically used vehicles. Does that mean that mine was technically such as well and if so, what are the implications?

Thanks for any insights on this!

You don't mention your state but I have a feeling that any vehicle sold "new" without the proper Monroney sticker (the one with all the MPG, feature, and pricing information) is a violation of multiple laws.

The "typical" OSD vehicle is used when it hits the US -- even if the owner doesn't drive it anywhere, they've already taken delivery in Europe. We put 3000 miles on ours but there were several people taking delivery around the same time who didn't take their car out of the Factory Delivery Center.

But these aren't typical OSD vehicles. 22 miles sounds normal for factory-checkout, boat loading, and other shipping-movement. IIRC, mine had 18 miles when I picked it up and another 8 added between drop-off in Gothenburg and picking it up at the dealer. From what I've read, those are all "normal" numbers.

What I really wonder (since I'm not looking at buying the car) is: what does the dealer do with the free flights? Do they "give" them to employees as a perk?

Have you considered buying OSD yourself?

I'll crosspost this response...
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

There is nothing wrong with a dealer using OSD as a means to reward an employee and then offering the unit for sale when it returns. Sounds like that is what has occurred in this case.
      Volvo actually encourages dealers to order an OSD unit so they can see how the program works. That is exactly how I got started arranging OSD's 12 yrs ago
      Bob Kennedy
      University Volvo OSD Mgr
      Charlotte NC
      VOLVO FOR LIFE
      http://www.universityvolvo.com/volvo...as-program.htm

That sounds like a fantastic idea, and if I had a Volvo store, I'd do the same. What a great way to get some interesting inventory and learn the OSD process! If the car is on an MSO, it's technically new. If it's on a title, it's technically used. Regardless, it has 22 Miles on it. It's a new car.
      2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 235,000 Miles
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 | Willow Green | 236,000 Miles
      1998 Volvo V70R Dolby, Rear Wing
      2004 Audi S4 Cabriolet
      1992 SVX LS-L

Quote Originally Posted by universityvolvoOSD View Post
      There is nothing wrong with a dealer using OSD as a means to reward an employee and then offering the unit for sale when it returns. Sounds like that is what has occurred in this case.
      Volvo actually encourages dealers to order an OSD unit so they can see how the program works. That is exactly how I got started arranging OSD's 12 yrs ago
      But isn't selling a new car without the Monroney sticker a violation of Federal Law? Or are they selling the car as "used"?
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

Quote Originally Posted by dhorvath View Post
      But isn't selling a new car without the Monroney sticker a violation of Federal Law? Or are they selling the car as "used"?
      It was definitely being sold as new, says so on my paperwork. What I wonder, though, is if there is some kind of exemption that we're unaware of. The "OSD" sticker was on the exact same stock as the Monroney sticker, which implies that when the Monroney stickers were affixed to other cars by someone other than the dealer this sticker was attached to this one. Not quite sure what it means, though.

X-posted from general forum: Window sticker of dealership-purchased Volvo says

My OSD car was new and still on the MSO when it arrived. I tried to get a Monroney using my VIN and was informed OSD cars don't have them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      05 V70R MT (Red/Atacama)
      12 XC60 T6 (Wife's Ride)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Dan View Post
      It was definitely being sold as new, says so on my paperwork. What I wonder, though, is if there is some kind of exemption that we're unaware of. The "OSD" sticker was on the exact same stock as the Monroney sticker, which implies that when the Monroney stickers were affixed to other cars by someone other than the dealer this sticker was attached to this one. Not quite sure what it means, though.
      Mine came with one of those stickers; I have a feeling they are applied at the docks on arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by johnauten View Post
      My OSD car was new and still on the MSO when it arrived. I tried to get a Monroney using my VIN and was informed OSD cars don't have them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      How did you do that (web site?)?