Update on my R
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Thread: Update on my R

Update on my R

I was very undecided what all I want to do to my R as far as engine mods and wen I wanted to do it. Then I got a PM inviting me to a dyno in landsdale on Sept 3. That pretty much made up my mind that I was gonna go for my final "build" stage on my engine! With only 4 weeks to make my final decisions on parts, order, and install them I knew I was going to be cutting it very close. Lucky greatly helped my out with what setup would best support the power range I wanted to be in and George @ Viva helped me out with the turbo and other questions i had

Here is my stack of goodies before I started working on the car! The bosch coils came later because of a back order!

I started on the turbo first and while my mechanic buddy did the injectors!! Took us awhile to pull the turbo out the top because of the minimal space between the engine and firewall. We ended up detaching the wastegate to make it easier! The oil lines are a pta to work around but we made it happen. Planned to install the new turbo that night yet but of course the turbo studs sheared off and because of my lack of planning we didn't have new ones!

Next evening I installed the water/meth system while waiting to find new studs for the turbo. That install ended up being much easier than I had planned. Very straightforward and just common sense but also took time to do it right.

The wiring for the w/m took some time because I wanted to be able to reach it while I'm driving. I wired my new boost gauge at the same time which made it all very simplified in the end.

By Monday evening I had the parts I needed to install the new turbo. That went way easier than I expected. I thought I may need help reinstalling it but was able to get it installed myself. Next issue was getting the 04 style OTE pipe to attach to the long neck style k24. Mr Phuzzy got me out of a bind by providing me with a 2 x 2.5 silicon adapter to connect the pipe after I cut off the flange on the turbo side of the aluminum pipe!

Then I ran all the vac lines and finished up a bunch of odds and ends.

After some complications with getting the tune back to me it arrived with the Bosch coils on friday (the day I wanted to leave for vaca to florida).

I installed the coils, spark plugs, and tune. Flushed and filled the coolant with volvo coolant, filled the windshield washer tank and pushed her out of the garage! I had to bleed the air out of the coolant lines before taking her on a spin but that didn't take long.

And of corse she didn't run flawlessly, much sputtering at top boost and uneven idle, but my vacation was calling me so I had to leave my sickly car till I get back from Florida to diagnose the problem. I immediately began my search for the problem when I got home. It wasnt to hard to find the leak in the weld joint for the w/m injector and with only one day left till the dyno I was definitely getting frantic. In my frenzy I ruined my MAF sensor and thought I crippled myself for good. But I went to the dyno anyway hoping to figure something out wen i get there. I consider myself very lucky that there was a very helpful SSer (Haunter) that allowed me to borrow his MAF so I could run on the dyno!

Was satisfied to dyno in at 315/361

The project start to finish took me 9 evenings of working from 8 pm till 2 am and i enjoyed every minute of it!!

Want to put a shout out to lucky for being a great guy to work with and his great services! Also to George for helping me out with the last minute things I needed and questions I had! And to Patrick for all his knowledge and help!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
      2004 S60 R Black sapphire/Gobi / Snabb intake / Viva K24 hybrid - CBV - FMIC/ IPD TCV - lowering springs - trans mount/ ARD Kevlar tune - 650cc injectors - coil packs - iridium plugs/ Devilsown stage 2 meth injection kit/ adamsrotors slotted rotors and stoptech pads/ TKI toe bars/ H&R 15mm rear spacers/ high flow downpipe - custom 3" catback exhaust

Man, that thing got up to redline really fast.. It was cool that we did them in power order, though the 240 was probably the best
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

1997 850 GLT - Daily Driver Check It Out
      2007 S60R - - FOR SALE -285 awhp/305 ft-lb
      Sometimes I sing too

Awesome build with an awesome output! What turbo is that?

Haha yes the 240 was awesome... loved that car

Its the Viva k24 hybrid

2004 S60 R Black sapphire/Gobi / Snabb intake / Viva K24 hybrid - CBV - FMIC/ IPD TCV - lowering springs - trans mount/ ARD Kevlar tune - 650cc injectors - coil packs - iridium plugs/ Devilsown stage 2 meth injection kit/ adamsrotors slotted rotors and stoptech pads/ TKI toe bars/ H&R 15mm rear spacers/ high flow downpipe - custom 3" catback exhaust

Update on my R

240s rule!
      I was happy to help out Jeremy. I had a great time hanging out with my fellow R brethren.
      And the cheesesteaks after capped a great day.
      2006 S60R, Black Sapphire/Nordkap, MT, 18" Anthracite Pegs, JRL mod, iPD HD Lower Tranny mount, iPd strut bar poly bushings, iMiv classic

Update on my R

Btw, psi proformance has a Facebook page and they posted some sweet pics of our cars on the dyno. They have one of my wheel in full spin.
      I would post it but stupid tapatalk is not letting me add photos from my phone.
      2006 S60R, Black Sapphire/Nordkap, MT, 18" Anthracite Pegs, JRL mod, iPD HD Lower Tranny mount, iPd strut bar poly bushings, iMiv classic

Jeremy, here is a video of your run:

http://youtu.be/BYYl8hyiQ6M
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

Amazing progress for 9 days! And even more impressive dyno numbers!

Wish I could have been there but I had to work :/
      2005 S60R M66 Magic Blue/Nordkap BUILD THREAD
      1983 242 GLT TURBO M46 Seneca Red BUILD THREAD
      1988 245+T HY35W M46 Scotia Blue BUILD THREAD
      INSTAGRAM - @johnaji

Quote Originally Posted by R-title View Post
      Haha yes the 240 was awesome... loved that car

Its the Viva k24 hybrid

This Guy
      IPD catback | EST dp | K an N drop in | IPD CAI | CX Racing FMIC | Snabb Intake | Forge CBV

Quote Originally Posted by prienzo View Post
      Jeremy, here is a video of your run:

http://youtu.be/BYYl8hyiQ6M
      Hey Pat is there any video of your R on the dyno?
      IPD catback | EST dp | K an N drop in | IPD CAI | CX Racing FMIC | Snabb Intake | Forge CBV

What were the dyno results for the other Rs that dyno'd that day (prienzo, Haunter, ?) and what modifications did they have?
      04 VR Ti/Atacama MT

Quote Originally Posted by soupandspoons View Post
      What were the dyno results for the other Rs that dyno'd that day (prienzo, Haunter, ?) and what modifications did they have?
      4 cars in total, AWD dyno

1992 240, IPD exhaust: 86 hp/114 ft-lb
      Haunter - 2006 S60R manual, stock: 240 hp/270 ft-lb
      prienzo - 2007 S60R automatic, DP, exhaust, intake pipe, CAI, MTE Tune: 285 hp/305 ft-lb

It was cool to see the power jumps by stages.
      Last edited by prienzo; 08-06-2013 at 09:39 AM.
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

I wish I was able to go
      2005 S60R M66 Magic Blue/Nordkap BUILD THREAD
      1983 242 GLT TURBO M46 Seneca Red BUILD THREAD
      1988 245+T HY35W M46 Scotia Blue BUILD THREAD
      INSTAGRAM - @johnaji

Re: Update on my R

I'm gonna start with the happy pics first!! Had a photo shoot over a week ago and finally have time to post them. Here's the link to the other pics http://m1363.photobucket.com/albums/...Photo%20shoot/

And now the bad news!!! Sunday a week ago I was coming home from a huge weekend in Hagerstown, MD and fell asleep at the wheel and ran into the back of a semi truck!! Long story short, that was the most expensive map ever! There was some frame damage as you can see in the pics which is causing me the most headache. I figured up all the costs and its gonna be right around 3k to fix! I have a lot of stuff ordered already but I'm still contemplating totalling the caR and partsing it out and getting a VR.

Can anyone share as to how much money you can make from parting an R out?

Quote Originally Posted by R-title View Post
      Can anyone share as to how much money you can make from parting an R out?

Noooooooooooo

get it fixed

Really sorry to hear that.
      Fix it if you can man

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
      2004 S60R 6MT Tuned by Autotech

Quote Originally Posted by tomedkaz
      Also, it goes without saying that you should lower your caR
      My Build Thread: CLICK HERE
      Buy my used, but good S60R shocks HERE

Pittsburgh, PA // Ft. Bragg, NC // Woodstock, GA
      Sorry to hear - glad you're okay!!

If it's in your budget, get it fixed but you'll have to keep it and run it into the ground - as you well know, nothing wrong with R titled cars except reselling them is next to none. Either total it out and don't look back or keep it and run it into the ground.

Hope all is well man! BTW, who did your w/m intake weld? Where did you get the bung plate?
      Keoni - 2004 SR Saphakap MT||VolvoTista: BOV Kit // IPD: Strut Bar Conv, Upper Polly Mount, Trans Polly Mount // Elevate: Track Sways, SS Brake Lines, AMS // Phuzzy: FMIC, HD TCV // WothRline: Custom Tune // Custom 3" DP w/Magnaflow Cat w/ 3" Cut-Out // Custom 3" Exhaust w/Borla XR-1 muffler to dual exit 2.5" (quad tips) & Magnaflow resonator // Custom 3" CAI // SNAAB: Intake // UR: Pulley // (My Diffuser)

No paper work was done or swapped so it's not an R titled car but it still sucks!

A co-worker of mine knows how to weld aluminum so we took a scrap of about 3/8" thick aluminum and welded it to the pipe!

You seriously thinking of parting it bro? If you do keep all your stage 3 and instantly have a stage 3 VR haha... You really should prolly fix it tho with all you have in it...

Quote Originally Posted by DScottM View Post
      You seriously thinking of parting it bro? If you do keep all your stage 3 and instantly have a stage 3 VR haha... You really should prolly fix it tho with all you have in it...
      No I’m not anymore! right at first I was because I found the PERFECT VR that I would love to have but it seriously wouldn't have been worth it. plus all my time and money is invested into this baby so I wasn't just gonna throw it out the window for just some front end damage. Was hoping to bring it to Ohio this weekend but it’s still at the body shop and I’ll be shocked if they get it done tomorrow. And as you can tell by the wire harness that got severed off I am gonna have several hrs worth of work soldering another harness section into it not to mention the headache tracing down wires and trying to understand the Volvo wiring diagram. lol

Very good.. I was thinking to myself of all the time and cash you have sunk into the car over the last 6 months and couldn't come up with a logical way to justify it Good luck with the wiring... Now i dont have a shot ar your minty OE Pegs

Yeah it really was just a passing thought in my frustration of having to fix the caR!!:P

Sell your 17s and get machined pegs!

Btw I need to talk to you about Volvo day!

Volvo day? I scrapped the machined idea i think... We can chat more about it this weekend...
      '98 S70 T5M: Stage 0, 18T, ARD Blue Tune, Lots of Snabb stuff, and lots of other stuff I dont feel like listing right now...

Yes check out Volvo day on sept. 28! U really should come in for that

Dam sorry to see this you have a nice car and good dyno numbers. I hope to beat them on our oct dyno day here in ma. Good luck man.
      05 S60R MT,Viva Hybrid, Enem Y21 Cams, Custom Tune, 750cc EV14's, Devils Own Progressive injection, IPD catless DP, Euro Sport CB W Res Del, PHMIC, IPD air box, Forge HD CBV & HKS SSQV 4, Poly mounts, Snabb intake, IP plasma coils, Snabb short throw. Viva SMF, Spec Stage 3 +. GB Forgestar F-14's, FB Enkei RSF5's, Eibach's, Ur Braces, Vr sways, IPD toe bars, Camber kit. Race fuel Engine build and custom Snail soon