I was very undecided what all I want to do to my R as far as engine mods and wen I wanted to do it. Then I got a PM inviting me to a dyno in landsdale on Sept 3. That pretty much made up my mind that I was gonna go for my final "build" stage on my engine! With only 4 weeks to make my final decisions on parts, order, and install them I knew I was going to be cutting it very close. Lucky greatly helped my out with what setup would best support the power range I wanted to be in and George @ Viva helped me out with the turbo and other questions i had
Here is my stack of goodies before I started working on the car! The bosch coils came later because of a back order!
I started on the turbo first and while my mechanic buddy did the injectors!! Took us awhile to pull the turbo out the top because of the minimal space between the engine and firewall. We ended up detaching the wastegate to make it easier! The oil lines are a pta to work around but we made it happen. Planned to install the new turbo that night yet but of course the turbo studs sheared off and because of my lack of planning we didn't have new ones!
Next evening I installed the water/meth system while waiting to find new studs for the turbo. That install ended up being much easier than I had planned. Very straightforward and just common sense but also took time to do it right.
The wiring for the w/m took some time because I wanted to be able to reach it while I'm driving. I wired my new boost gauge at the same time which made it all very simplified in the end.
By Monday evening I had the parts I needed to install the new turbo. That went way easier than I expected. I thought I may need help reinstalling it but was able to get it installed myself. Next issue was getting the 04 style OTE pipe to attach to the long neck style k24. Mr Phuzzy got me out of a bind by providing me with a 2 x 2.5 silicon adapter to connect the pipe after I cut off the flange on the turbo side of the aluminum pipe!
Then I ran all the vac lines and finished up a bunch of odds and ends.
After some complications with getting the tune back to me it arrived with the Bosch coils on friday (the day I wanted to leave for vaca to florida).
I installed the coils, spark plugs, and tune. Flushed and filled the coolant with volvo coolant, filled the windshield washer tank and pushed her out of the garage! I had to bleed the air out of the coolant lines before taking her on a spin but that didn't take long.
And of corse she didn't run flawlessly, much sputtering at top boost and uneven idle, but my vacation was calling me so I had to leave my sickly car till I get back from Florida to diagnose the problem. I immediately began my search for the problem when I got home. It wasnt to hard to find the leak in the weld joint for the w/m injector and with only one day left till the dyno I was definitely getting frantic. In my frenzy I ruined my MAF sensor and thought I crippled myself for good. But I went to the dyno anyway hoping to figure something out wen i get there. I consider myself very lucky that there was a very helpful SSer (Haunter) that allowed me to borrow his MAF so I could run on the dyno!
Was satisfied to dyno in at 315/361
The project start to finish took me 9 evenings of working from 8 pm till 2 am and i enjoyed every minute of it!!
Want to put a shout out to lucky for being a great guy to work with and his great services! Also to George for helping me out with the last minute things I needed and questions I had! And to Patrick for all his knowledge and help!
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4