Upgrade Time!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Thread: Upgrade Time!

Upgrade Time!

Got a question for the fellow Volvo S40 2.4i owners.

Once I saw the difuser on the rear bumper of MyNameIdeasWereTaken I had to get it. I know that I can get the diffuser to fit onto my current one, but I don't wish to buy a whole new exhaust system. Is there anything that I can do to extend the exhaust pipe and make custom tips? or make my exhaust longer? Also sound wise, anything I can do?

Appreciate the help

Sound: You can de-unicorn the muffler by cutting off the closed tip (on the driver side) and pulling out all the fiber glass. That'll make things a little louder, you might also want to look into removing the resonator, but I'm not sure how that'll affect your pressure flow with an NA. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ler-looks-like

Looks: You can have a shop cut off your down facing tip and weld on a straight tip, they can adjust the length to anything you want before welding it in place. After you de-unicorn your muffler, you can also have them weld on a 90 pipe and tip for a true muffler-back dual exhaust. You'll have to cut your lower trim (or buy a T5 trim) to fit the tips, but that's easy enough with a dremel tool and some sand paper.

My local shop will cut off the old tip and weld on a new one for $15 a side, so it's not expensive. The real money is in buying tips you like.

As for the diffuser I made, it was just the corners off a cutting board, you could do something similar for $8.

This was my $150 answer for sound on my old 2.4i :

2005 S40 T5 - M66 - Silver w/ Off Black T-Tec - OBX 3" DP - EST Strut Bar - Auto Meter Boost Gauge - Premium Audio

SOLD 2005 S40 2.4i -

@MyNameIdeasWereTaken

I bought the cutout, but I hear I have to have it painted? Is this true? Or wouldn't it be just black and you stick it on?

Painted? What? If the metal is not finished or at risk or rusting, I understand, but otherwise I'm not sure why it would need to be painted. I don't know a whole lot about car "plumbing" so maybe I'm in the wrong.

Did you go with the Magnaflow cutout? I haven't had any issues with mine in almost a year, though we don't have salted roads down here.

I am going with the magnaflow cutout, these tips:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=11294

I am not sure which shop will cut off the top on the other side of my exhaust and make it a dual exhaust but I'll look around, they charge an arm and a leg for that kind of stuff here in Canada..

Also I mean the diffuser:

http://www.tascaparts.com/parts/2006...ponent=Spoiler

This should just fit onto my original one on the 2.4i correct?

Pre-facelift S40? #23 "with turbo" is the part you want. It'll be a direct fit.

The V50s have slightly longer bumpers, so make sure you get one for an S40.

My brother tells me I need to get the diffuser painted and it comes primed? I thought it was just a type of plastic no?

Quote Originally Posted by McCahill77 View Post
      My brother tells me I need to get the diffuser painted and it comes primed? I thought it was just a type of plastic no?
      Yeah, it should just be textured plastic. If it's not, Rustoleum Truck bed paint will perfectly match the texture of your current black trim.