SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Upgrade Time!

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  MyNameIdeasWereTaken 
#1 ·
Got a question for the fellow Volvo S40 2.4i owners.

Once I saw the difuser on the rear bumper of MyNameIdeasWereTaken I had to get it. I know that I can get the diffuser to fit onto my current one, but I don't wish to buy a whole new exhaust system. Is there anything that I can do to extend the exhaust pipe and make custom tips? or make my exhaust longer? Also sound wise, anything I can do?

Appreciate the help :)

#2 ·
Sound: You can de-unicorn the muffler by cutting off the closed tip (on the driver side) and pulling out all the fiber glass. That'll make things a little louder, you might also want to look into removing the resonator, but I'm not sure how that'll affect your pressure flow with an NA. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...er-what-the-inside-of-your-muffler-looks-like

Looks: You can have a shop cut off your down facing tip and weld on a straight tip, they can adjust the length to anything you want before welding it in place. After you de-unicorn your muffler, you can also have them weld on a 90° pipe and tip for a true muffler-back dual exhaust. You'll have to cut your lower trim (or buy a T5 trim) to fit the tips, but that's easy enough with a dremel tool and some sand paper.

My local shop will cut off the old tip and weld on a new one for $15 a side, so it's not expensive. The real money is in buying tips you like.

As for the diffuser I made, it was just the corners off a cutting board, you could do something similar for $8. ;)

#5 ·
Painted? What? If the metal is not finished or at risk or rusting, I understand, but otherwise I'm not sure why it would need to be painted. I don't know a whole lot about car "plumbing" so maybe I'm in the wrong.

Did you go with the Magnaflow cutout? I haven't had any issues with mine in almost a year, though we don't have salted roads down here.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Pre-facelift S40? #23 "with turbo" is the part you want. It'll be a direct fit.

The V50s have slightly longer bumpers, so make sure you get one for an S40.

#9 ·
Yeah, it should just be textured plastic. If it's not, Rustoleum Truck bed paint will perfectly match the texture of your current black trim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.