SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Loud creaking from steering when turning and braking/accelerating

16K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BLUEtheC30 
#1 ·
Hi.
I have a problem with my 2005 XC90 2.5T.
I had my xc90 in for a service, and got the control arm bushings replaced in the front, as they said they were broken.
Then just a couple of weeks later I had the car in for a tire change and wheel alignment.

After this wheel alignment and tirechange(literally right after), the car is making an awful loud creaking-noise when I'm braking a little hard, and accelerating. Also the sound appears in some turns(most often at slow sharp turns), and when turning the wheel when the car is not in motion.

Any idea what might be wrong? Here is two videos showing the sounds. The first one with the car standing still, and me turning the wheel slowly from side to side. And in the second one I'm braking and accelerating, and you can hear the creaking(most noticeable when accelerating).

Sorry about the dark video.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

See less See more
#5 ·
heyy had this same issue with my 07 90... the control arm bushings needed to be changed, so to make things simple, i had both control arms changed along with the bushings... apparently there was an issue with the bushings so they had to be upgraded.. something to do with the weight of the car from my understanding. Did u have an issue with ur wheel alignment? we did.. the car would always pull to the left and would have no return on the steering when making left turns... at first.. we thought it was the struts.. so we did new struts, new strut bearing plates, still the same noise... thats when we did the new control arms with the upgraded bushings.. since then... no more noise!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.