The New Polestar S60 and V60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

The New Polestar S60 and V60

The new Volvo S60 and V60 Polestar is here, set for sale on four continents around the world in 2014.

”We are proud to present the S60 and V60 Polestar. A car developed for those who share our passion at Polestar: That driving really matters and that a true driver’s car should enable you to enjoy driving all-year, on all roads and in all weather conditions. This is a driver’s car for real life,” said Christian Dahl, CEO of Polestar.

“With the introduction of the V60 model, we are proud to continue the heritage of fast Volvo estates like the racing 850 BTCC, a tradition deeply rooted among Volvo enthusiasts,” continued Christian Dahl, CEO of Polestar.
      S60 and V60 model
      0-100 km/h in 4.9 seconds

Limited Edition
      The countries set for the S60 and V60 Polestar include Canada, the Netherlands, Japan, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the USA, with further markets and final production numbers to be revealed next year.

”Our motorsport co-operation with Polestar has been going on for almost two decades and it is rewarding to see how Polestar can use their experiences from motorsport to engineer such an exciting and competent car,” said Derek Crabb, Motorsport Director of Volvo Cars.

“It is very satisfying to see how Polestar have been able to combine this level of driving performance in their interpretation of the S60 and V60 with maintained original service program, class leading safety features and certified fuel- and emission ratings. Customers buying this car will get the best from both Polestar and Volvo,” said Alain Visser, Senior Vice President Marketing, Sales & Customer Service of Volvo Cars Group.

All-year performance

The car is based on the latest generation Volvo S/V60 and marks the start of an extended Polestar production model range.

Development of the car has been ongoing over the past years, picking up from the C30 and S60 Concept cars and the Australian S60 Polestar. Thousands of development kilometres have been driven on twisty mountain roads, on the Autobahn and test tracks from the south of Europe to the frozen north of Sweden.

”We have continued our work to create a true driver’s car which is not limited only to a few specific driving conditions, but enjoyable on everything from your favourite winding roads to taking the family for a long journey, no matter summer or winter. And in my view, we have gotten very close to our goals, something that of course is best experienced first-hand behind the wheel,” said Robert Dahlgren, Polestar racing and test driver.

Polestar performance engineering

Chassis
      Upgrades include modifications made to increase rigidity of the chassis to cater for the 80% stiffer springs relative to the standard S60 R-Design. These changes combined with the tailored high performance Öhlins shock absorbers and 20” Polestar wheels results in a precise, yet comfortable, driving experience.

Brakes
      The brake system has undergone substantial modifications. Most visible are the 371 millimetre ventilated front discs and six-piston Brembo calipers, guaranteeing a high level of braking performance.

Aerodynamics
      To reflect the increased performance of the S/V60 Polestar, positive aerodynamic effects have been achieved through subtle, yet efficient, modifications based on data from tests in the Volvo Cars wind tunnel. The changes are visible with the front splitters, optimising the airflow underneath the car, as well as a new rear spoiler and diffusor, increasing downforce.

Engine
      The six-cylinder turbo-charged T6 engine has undergone extensive development with a new twin-scroll turbo and intercooler to produce 350 HP/257 kW at 5700 rpm and 500 Nm/369 lb-ft already at 2800 rpm. The engine breathes through a 2.5” stainless steel exhaust system, making for a throaty engine note.

Transmission
      The six-speed automatic gearbox features a new paddle shift system that together with the Polestar developed Haldex four-wheel drive system takes the car from 0-100 km/h in just 4.9 seconds and to a limited top speed of 250 km/h. The gearbox as well as the four-wheel drive system and traction control system has been recalibrated in order to provide an active driving experience and maximum grip in all situations.

Interior
      The interior has been reworked with new details, materials and Polestar colours, such as the steering wheel, seats and more, with the sole purpose of increasing driver support and control.

”All in all we have taken a major step forward in all areas, from chassis and engine to interior and exterior details. Development work has been focused on the overall package in order to create a car that you want to use every day, both from a practical and emotional perspective,” said Henrik Fries, S/V60 Polestar Technical Project Manager.

Sales and delivery

Polestar will begin delivery of the new S60 and V60 Polestar in June 2014 to the local markets.

“We are all very excited and proud over our launch of two new cars as yet another step towards a range of Polestar Engineered Volvo cars available for people like us around the world. To do it together with Volvo, one of the world’s leading car manufacturers, is greatly satisfying and we look forward to an exciting future,” said Christian Dahl, CEO of Polestar.

Visit www.nextpolestar.com for more information and our pressroom for further pictures.

Technical Specification

Performance
      0-100 km/h 4.9 sec
      0-200 km/h 17.7 sec
      80-120 km/h 4.7 sec
      Top speed 250 km/h / 155 mph – Electronically limited

Chassis
      Polestar Öhlins shock absorber system
      Polestar bespoke rims, 8x20” ET53 with 245/35R20 tyres

Engine
      6-cylinder inline T6 engine, 2953 cc
      257 kW (350 hp) @ 5700 rpm
      500 Nm (369 lb-ft) @ 2800-4750 rpm
      Max 6500 rpm
      New twin-scroll Borg Warner turbo
      New intercooler
      Polestar 2.5” stainless full-flow exhaust system with twin 3.5” tail pipes

Weight
      S60 Polestar: 1752 kg
      V60 Polestar: 1822 kg

Transmission
      AWF21 automatic gearbox with paddle shift system
      Polestar transmission calibration for faster gearshifts, launch control and curve-hold functionality
      Polestar Haldex calibration for more rear torque dynamic distribution
      Polestar calibrated stability control system

Brakes
      Front: Polestar/Brembo 6 piston brake calipers
      371x32 mm ventilated and floating Brembo discs
      Rear: 302x22 mm ventilated disc

chris@swedespeed.com
      2006 V70R | 6MT | Electric Silver/Atacama | 3rd row | 18" Pegs | Kenwood DNX690HD with steering wheel controls
      2012 XC90 R-Design | NAV | RSE | 20" Cratus | Curt hitch

Perfect! This will be my next car....don't want anything else

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
      2004 S60R 6MT Tuned by Autotech

Quote Originally Posted by tomedkaz
      Also, it goes without saying that you should lower your caR
      My Build Thread: CLICK HERE
      Buy my used, but good S60R shocks HERE

Still torn between the V70R and this.
      02 XC70 R PROJECT TERRÄNGKÖRNING LANDVAGN
      04 V70R PROJECT LANDBARGE

Looking forward to seeing the U.S. price.
      chris@swedespeed.com
      2006 V70R | 6MT | Electric Silver/Atacama | 3rd row | 18" Pegs | Kenwood DNX690HD with steering wheel controls
      2012 XC90 R-Design | NAV | RSE | 20" Cratus | Curt hitch

I'm guessing it's going to be $60k CAD... Wish I had money. Would be the perfect replacement as it's the perfect replacement to my S60. It must be a message from Polestar... "Save up your money."
      2000 Volvo S70 SE; First Owner; 308k km

2012A Volvo S60 T5 Level II; GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by chris@swedespeed View Post
      Looking forward to seeing the U.S. price.
      My guess, at least 55K

Awesome
      I need to rob a bank
      Last edited by JRL; 11-26-2013 at 08:29 AM.
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 60K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 122K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. In concours condition with low miles.

The rear brakes are a bit too small...the first thing I'd do is try to get something bigger....just for the more balanced look..

Anyways I love the Brembos, suspension and of course the engine. 350 hp is plenty for the perfect combination of daily drivability and performance.

Will buy it used in 2015....let the first owner take the depreciation hit...

In the meantime...time to start saying goodbye to my R :-(

2004 S60R 6MT Tuned by Autotech

Quote Originally Posted by tomedkaz
      Also, it goes without saying that you should lower your caR
      My Build Thread: CLICK HERE
      Buy my used, but good S60R shocks HERE

For sale in the U.S. - that is exciting and wonderful news! I am very curious what actual production numbers will be compared to the R Design trims and how sales will play out.
      Current: 2010 Audi A6 Avant 3.0T

Prior: 1990 Volvo 740, 1998 Volvo 850, 2004 Volvo S40, 2007 Volkswagen GLI, 2004 Volvo V70R, 2014 Subaru Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by tomedkaz View Post
      The rear brakes are a bit too small...the first thing I'd do is try to get something bigger....just for the more balanced look..

Anyways I love the Brembos, suspension and of course the engine. 350 hp is plenty for the perfect combination of daily drivability and performance.

Will buy it used in 2015....let the first owner take the depreciation hit...

In the meantime...time to start saying goodbye to my R :-(

well they have met one of my requirements...make it at least 350hp....glad to see they really outdid themselves now time for Volvo to get its balls back and make this a mainline caR
      2008 Titanium Grey Metallic C30 R-Design
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Excellent.
      '83 242 Burgundy w/B230FT, '06 V50 Barents T5 AWD, '10 S40 Ice White T5 AWD,
      '12 C30 Ice White T5 R Design w/Polestar, and '13 C30 Rebel LE #189/250
      ALL MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS

Manual Volvos for Life

Grecian, like I was saying Americans will buy wagons, and Europeans are buying more all the time.

(I don't need a third wagon, but it looks very desirable to me. My only question would be the size. Is it big enough for my purposes. I expect it is just the right size for many. I hope VCNA sells a ton of the V60s so they can ask themselves "why didn't we bring it over years ago." schadenfreude?
      Last edited by Sausca; 11-26-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Didn't a Polestar engineer say that the power ratings were underrated? At least that's what I recall reading.. I'm worried that the transmission will go the way of the T6 4 speed automatic and blow up. The 6 speed automatic being used isn't designed to handle a lot of torque from what I remember. Which is why the power ratings are this low. Otherwise, they'd be other to squeeze more power out of the engine easily.

love it. simply put. fast volvo wagons...the way its meant to be.

[QUOTE=JRL;2222400]My guess, at least 55K]

Well 55K is 2Gs less than a E wagon, but 40Gs less than the AMG. What was the % increment for an R. I don't remember. I would expect the straight V60 will be priced off the straight S60. Not much figuring there, but the pricing on the Polestar will be more interesting. Does anyone else prefer the "R" nomenclature to "Polestar." Every time I hear it I think poleax, and as long as I am complaining, can anyone besides the French can think of powder blue as a performance color.

But in any case good news for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sausca View Post
      Grecian, like I was saying Americans will buy wagons, and Europeans are buying more all the time.

(I don't need a third wagon, but it looks very desirable to me. My only question would be the size. Is it big enough for my purposes. I expect it is just the right size for many. I hope VCNA sells a ton of the V60s so they can ask themselves "why didn't we bring it over years ago." schadenfreude?
      What was your favorite sarcastic line in the past few years? "Trust me, it's in the pipeline". I think I am going to start bringing this up every 6-8 months, from now and through the next 4+ years...
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2015.5 S60 T6 Drive-E, Crystal White Pearl w/ Beechwood/Black Sport leather Climate/Platinum/BLIS/Park Pilot/Sport w/ 19" BOR

Well 55K is 2Gs less than a E wagon, but 40Gs less than the AMG. What was the % increment for an R. I don't remember. I would expect the straight V60 will be priced off the straight S60. Not much figuring there, but the pricing on the Polestar will be more interesting. Does anyone else prefer the "R" nomenclature to "Polestar." Every time I hear it I think poleax, and as long as I am complaining, can anyone besides the French can think of powder blue as a performance color.

But in any case good news for a change.
      Why would you compare a E wagon to a V60 Polestar? They're two different classes of car. Like completely different. One is luxury-comfort wagon in probably base trim. The other is maximum performance wagon that is probably fully loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
      Didn't a Polestar engineer say that the power ratings were underrated? At least that's what I recall reading.. I'm worried that the transmission will go the way of the T6 4 speed automatic and blow up. The 6 speed automatic being used isn't designed to handle a lot of torque from what I remember. Which is why the power ratings are this low. Otherwise, they'd be other to squeeze more power out of the engine easily.
      Where has is been documented that this 6 spd can not handle this torque? I see this comment constantly being made but have yet to see any concrete proof that this is true. Just askin?
      Tube Screamer
      Kent WA
      2010 C30 R-Design, 6 spd, ELEVATE Tune,Gecko Green
      2006 V50 T5 Electric Silver, RIP!, 2010 VW Golf TDI DSG

Quote Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
      Why would you compare a E wagon to a V60 Polestar? They're two different classes of car. Like completely different. One is luxury-comfort wagon in probably base trim. The other is maximum performance wagon that is probably fully loaded.
      I guess you missed the reference to the AMG wagon. Often times brackets are useful in pricing something.

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      What was your favorite sarcastic line in the past few years? "Trust me, it's in the pipeline". I think I am going to start bringing this up every 6-8 months, from now and through the next 4+ years...
      No, my favorite is "Americans won't buy wagons, and Europeans are buying fewer." The "pipeline" quote is my second favorite. My third is "We are rebuilding the brand with five, maybe six volume models." Now let's see how the V60 and V60 Polestar fit into the paradigm.

Be sure to check out Polestar's website as they have a VERY cool looking "3D 360" view which shows you around the car and the interior. Specs are also available.

http://www.nextpolestar.com/#/showcase
      NEW! 2007 S40 T5 White
      Sold 1999 V70 XC AWD

No, my favorite is "Americans won't buy wagons, and Europeans are buying fewer." The "pipeline" quote is my second favorite. My third is "We are rebuilding the brand with five, maybe six volume models." Now let's see how the V60 and V60 Polestar fit into the paradigm.
      Americans are not buying wagons the way they used to. That is a fact. There is still a niche segment that (and I have always maintained that) needs to be addressed. The current "wagons" that the masses like are the Q5s, the X5s, the XC60s, etc.

Rebuilding a brand takes a few years. With a new owner, starting in the EIGHTH month of 2010, people expected to see immediate product results in 2011 and early 2012. That is not how the industry is working.

Now, let's watch the show start unfolding. It will be fun and of long duration...What was the comment that another esteemed member wrote here? "Pass the popcorn please". Indeed.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2015.5 S60 T6 Drive-E, Crystal White Pearl w/ Beechwood/Black Sport leather Climate/Platinum/BLIS/Park Pilot/Sport w/ 19" BOR

Quote Originally Posted by WA V50 T5 View Post
      Where has is been documented that this 6 spd can not handle this torque? I see this comment constantly being made but have yet to see any concrete proof that this is true. Just askin?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC
      http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/product...eup/index.html

Can't wait for the V60 Polestar to show up on the showroom floor...
      Current: 2010 Audi A6 Avant 3.0T

Prior: 1990 Volvo 740, 1998 Volvo 850, 2004 Volvo S40, 2007 Volkswagen GLI, 2004 Volvo V70R, 2014 Subaru Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Yannis,

Out of curiosity, what product "in the pipeline" looks to the future instead of a very (albeit nicely) refined version of "same-old-same-old" (petrol) technology that's the equivalent of a refined Hansom horse-drawn carriage at the beginning of the automobile era? Yes, Barouchette, Brougham, and Clarence horse-drawn carriages sold when the first autos came out, but they were the old guard, not the new up-and-coming Otto-cycle tech that later overwhelmed the buggy makers and eventually put them out of business. Sure, there'll be some electric power in the car, but hybrids are de rigueur nowadays and soon won't be anything special. [And I always thought hybrids were sort of like owning all your real-estate in condos--they had all the disadvantages of renting (close proximity to neighbors, high association fees) and owning (have to do all your own repairs). The automobile hybrid still needs oil changes, smog checks, engine maintenance, tranny maintenance, fuel to put in etc. ad nauseum and weighs a lot more with the batteries that have to get replaced every 8 years.]

Now, granted, the vast majority of buyers don't look 10 or more years down the road when they buy a car (hell most don't even look past the next month's payment), but eventually someone will have to buy their leftover in 3, 5, or even 10 years if they keep it that long. What's the market going to be like then, and what will be the car's value to what I call the 2nd or third buyer of the car? (and it's a shame, really, because Volvo was so forward-thinking in safety, I guess it just never sank in on other aspects of the cars.)

To me it seems very shortsighted to not consider the future of the car in current design lifecycles. But like I said before, they don't pay me the big bucks to make those decisions, so all I can do is stand back and watch. Besides, I'm only one buyer and what I do won't make a hill of beans difference in the long run anyway.

Who knows, it all may work out in the end, too.

Volvo could have specified changes to the transmission to handle the torque OR additional testing may have been done and Volvo & Aisin-Warner confirmed with all due diligence (hopefully) that the transmissions as previously built could handle the torque levels. Hopefully, hopefully Volvo learned its lesson with the GM transmission fiasco.

Pondering opening a savings account to save up $20K to put down on one of these Polestars, I have never bought a new car - used Volvos have served me well.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      My guess, at least 55K
      I'll guess just under $60K.

to the V60 which is definitely the better looking of the pair........and best of luck to the early adopters who get to troubleshoot these puppies with the local service department.
      2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

Damn !! Guess they are all just going to blow up!
      Tube Screamer
      Kent WA
      2010 C30 R-Design, 6 spd, ELEVATE Tune,Gecko Green
      2006 V50 T5 Electric Silver, RIP!, 2010 VW Golf TDI DSG

Quote Originally Posted by MagoonR View Post
      I'll guess just under $60K.
      I went back and looked a wagon was 3% more than a sedan (2007 V70 v. S60) and a R was 21% more (R v. 2.5T). If I use a 2013 S60T5Platinum at 37K I only get to $46K for a V60Polestar. How do you get to just <$60K? An AMG wagon is 66% more than a E 350. On that pricing model you get to 60K, but I am not sure the AMG pricing model is the right one, but we shall see. Grecian, nice to see you perking up. Its been a long pipeline.

I went back and looked a wagon was 3% more than a sedan (2007 V70 v. S60) and a R was 21% more (R v. 2.5T). If I use a 2013 S60T5Platinum at 37K I only get to $46K for a V60Polestar. How do you get to just <$60K?
      Considering that a S60RD is in the high 40's to low 50's, a V60RD should be slightly higher..........now add the Polestar upgrades on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by MagoonR View Post
      Considering that a S60RD is in the high 40's to low 50's, a V60RD should be slightly higher..........now add the Polestar upgrades on top of that.
      Yes, I would expect a V60RD to be 3-5% more than a S60RD. I thought comparing a R to a 2.5T was analogous to comparing a Polestar to a Platinum. Maybe the problem is that the RD is over-priced. I would hate to see Volvo go to an AMG pricing model. MB sells less than 100 AMG wagons in the US each year. That isn't what Volvo needs. How many 60K V60 Polestars do you think VCNA can sell. As I recall they were able to see about 2,000 V70Rs in the best year.

Ask yourself how many buyers there are for a 60K Volvo wagon, when there are less than 100 customers for a 100K MB wagon.

But your point is well taken, Volvo may have boxed itself in with the RD pricing. And how about the Polestar Australian experience. How does that figure in. Interesting.

Why is the s60 polestar almost 70 kg heavier than the Aussie version??? This seems pretty lame, the previous version was complimented for the check in weight, now this...

Quote Originally Posted by volvocu View Post
      Why is the s60 polestar almost 70 kg heavier than the Aussie version??? This seems pretty lame, the previous version was complimented for the check in weight, now this...
      I'll be more interested to see the F/R weight bias; espeically with those large front calipers.

I went back and looked a wagon was 3% more than a sedan (2007 V70 v. S60) and a R was 21% more (R v. 2.5T). If I use a 2013 S60T5Platinum at 37K I only get to $46K for a V60Polestar. How do you get to just <$60K? An AMG wagon is 66% more than a E 350. On that pricing model you get to 60K, but I am not sure the AMG pricing model is the right one, but we shall see. Grecian, nice to see you perking up. Its been a long pipeline.
      I think you mean $39k for a MY2014 S60 T5 Platinum... MY2013 ain't really a fair comparison because it's end of the year clearance, pre-facelift, etc. Though still significantly cheaper than us..

Quote Originally Posted by volvocu View Post
      Haha.. Probably something to do with the local tax system. If you check the Swedish specs the cars are always listed with higher base weight.
      Example, a Dutch S60T6 AWD is listed at 1574 kg. This is called the empty vehicle weight. On the car's papers another weight number can be seen which is 100 kg above the empty weight so in this case it should say 1674 kg and is called "drive ready" or "driving" weight. When looking at the Swedish numbers the same car is listed with a weight of 1752 kg.
      In the Netherlands we pay road tax related to the weight of the car. Law allows car manufacturers to offer a car for type approval with a lot of the usual goodies missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
      Haha.. Probably something to do with the local tax system. If you check the Swedish specs the cars are always listed with higher base weight.
      Example, a Dutch S60T6 AWD is listed at 1574 kg. This is called the empty vehicle weight. On the car's papers another weight number can be seen which is 100 kg above the empty weight so in this case it should say 1674 kg and is called "drive ready" or "driving" weight. When looking at the Swedish numbers the same car is listed with a weight of 1752 kg.
      In the Netherlands we pay road tax related to the weight of the car. Law allows car manufacturers to offer a car for type approval with a lot of the usual goodies missing.
      So you're saying this post facelift polestar has more or less the same weight as the Aussie version? I sure hope so, but the big wheels/brakes may add some weight...

What about the differences with the Aussie s60, what has changed exactly? I suspect the adjustable shocks are gone, but what else one wonders?

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast