S80 V8 Spark Plugs
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Question S80 V8 Spark Plugs

I have about 70,000 miles on my S80, and the fuel mileage has dropped significantly, so I think that it's time for a tune-up. I have a set of spark plugs for it. The front bank of cylinders will be a piece of cake, while the rear bank is more of challenge, but I've done worse. My copy of VADIS only mentions a torque spec (25 nm) for the plugs. I can't find a gap measurement. (Maybe that's my fault) Are the Volvo plugs pre-gapped? Do I need to be concerned about it? Thanks in advance!

If I remember correctly, the plugs are gapped to approx 0.44"? They are pre-gapped from Volvo. I did my spark plugs at 70K miles too, but after removing them and examining them they didn't seem that worn out at all.
      2007 S80 V8 and 1998 S70 T5

Quote Originally Posted by volvodad View Post
      I have about 70,000 miles on my S80, and the fuel mileage has dropped significantly,
      Not that changing the plugs no isn't a good idea, but this MPG drop is likely due to fuels switching to winter blend, rather than the plugs suddenly performing a lot worse.
      2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust - 2:05 at BIR long course || 2006 Volvo S60R 6M Sonic Blue (RIP - saved my life) - 2:03.5 at BIR long course - 2:00 at BIR short course - Road Trip Pics - My HD Trackday Videos - Loud enough for ya? || 2007 Volvo S80 V8 (his), Barents Blue, 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats || 2011 Volvo XC70 T6 (hers), Oyster Grey, 35% tint, hood liner removed so I can hear the turbo now

Quote Originally Posted by Warpedcow View Post
      Not that changing the plugs no isn't a good idea, but this MPG drop is likely due to fuels switching to winter blend, rather than the plugs suddenly performing a lot worse.
      This. My Volvo is only ~2.5 years old with 49k and winter fuel/cold weather causes a minimum 1 mpg drop.

Maybe it's my style of driving lately but I've seen a bigger drop in winter mileage than usual. With my 5 cyl Volvos I would go from 22 summer mpg to 20-21 in winter. The S80 has gone from 18-19 mpg to 14-15 this year, which I didn't see the two previous years. Access to rear plugs is complicated by 2 lines running over them. UGH! The electrodes on the first plug I pulled looked OK but the insulator had a corona, something I had not seen before. It's not supposed to indicate a problem.

My T6 has been getting in the 15s lately with the switch to winter blend and frigid temps in Wisconsin. My gas light came on after only 245 miles with my last tank.

I seem to be blowing through fuel at an unbelievable rate this winter in both my S80 and XC90. My highway mileage has dropped by about 4mpg in my S80.
      2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 235,000 Miles
      2007 Volvo XC90 V8 | Willow Green | 236,000 Miles
      1998 Volvo V70R Dolby, Rear Wing
      2004 Audi S4 Cabriolet
      1992 SVX LS-L

I'm getting anywhere from 12-15mpg in my hilly Morgantown stop and go
      2007 Volvo S80 V8 AWD
      101k miles