SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

S80 V8 Spark Plugs

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  bluestreak614 
#1 ·
I have about 70,000 miles on my S80, and the fuel mileage has dropped significantly, so I think that it's time for a tune-up. I have a set of spark plugs for it. The front bank of cylinders will be a piece of cake, while the rear bank is more of challenge, but I've done worse. :rolleyes: My copy of VADIS only mentions a torque spec (25 nm) for the plugs. I can't find a gap measurement. (Maybe that's my fault) Are the Volvo plugs pre-gapped? Do I need to be concerned about it? Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
I have about 70,000 miles on my S80, and the fuel mileage has dropped significantly,
Not that changing the plugs no isn't a good idea, but this MPG drop is likely due to fuels switching to winter blend, rather than the plugs suddenly performing a lot worse.

#5 ·
Maybe it's my style of driving lately but I've seen a bigger drop in winter mileage than usual. With my 5 cyl Volvos I would go from 22 summer mpg to 20-21 in winter. The S80 has gone from 18-19 mpg to 14-15 this year, which I didn't see the two previous years. Access to rear plugs is complicated by 2 lines running over them. UGH! The electrodes on the first plug I pulled looked OK but the insulator had a corona, something I had not seen before. It's not supposed to indicate a problem.

#7 ·
I seem to be blowing through fuel at an unbelievable rate this winter in both my S80 and XC90. My highway mileage has dropped by about 4mpg in my S80.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.