Broken Driver side Seat panel XC90, Repair
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broken Driver side Seat panel XC90, Repair

Hey guys,
      Just the other day as i got out of my XC90 the plastic side panel of the driver seat cracked.

2008 XC90 3.2

Broken Panel

I guess its the way i get out of the seat that cracked the part but its clearly a poor design. I talked to the Dealer and they said it has been a common issue so much that the part used to cost $75 and now its sold for $20. I just bought the Part from my local dealer (San Diego Volvo) since they have everything in stock instead of ordering online. I'm not sure if someone has posted this repair before but below is a step by step fix! Its pretty simple.

Tools:
      New Panel
      Wire Cutters
      T15
      T20
      2 Zip Ties

Look under the drivers seat and you will see the cable that connects to the electric seat memory module. The connector is green. Unplug the green connector (you have to push on the plastic clip on the bottom of the green plastic to get it loose).

Once you get the connector free you will need to remove the two zip ties holding the cable. They are right next to the yellow tape. I found the easiest way to remove these is by using wire cutters and cutting the "one way" part of the zip tie and then you won't have to worry about cutting the cable.

Next you will have to remove the screw that mounts the plastic part to the seat. It is at the very front of the part and the screw head faces away from the driver door. I believe this was a T15 screw.

Once you get this free you can rotate the whole plastic part clockwise. It is attached in the back by a "C Clip" which is part of the plastic. It kind of just rotates around the metal bar at the back of the seat. Just pop it off. Now you need to remove the black clip holding the cable at the front of the part. Its pretty stubborn, i used a knife to bend the teeth back.

Once you get it free you will see the three screws holding in the electric module. Unscrew these three, I believe they were T20 screws, and pop the part out. Now just replace the part into your new plastic side piece and reverse your steps!

Much better

Any Questions just let me know!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Excellent write-up. Thanks! I sell a lot of XC90s at my dealership, and we have to replace this piece on almost every one of them. I can change them in my sleep with both arms tied behind my back. You should see it. It's quite entertaining!
      2010 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Polestar + Snabb | 93,000 Miles
      2008 Volvo S80 V8 | Ember Black | All Options and Packages | Mods | 307,000 Miles
      1998 Volvo V70 R | 2001 Audi S8 | 1992 Subaru SVX | 2004 Maserati Spyder
      My XC90 Safety Demo Cutaway Cars

I used several packages of two-part epoxy and fiber glass to repair this piece that had broken into several small pieces. It worked out OK, looks pretty good and is still together after much service, ... but it was a lot of work ... I am glad to read that the piece is now priced reasonably and is available. Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow, didn't realize these pieces were so cheap--thanks for the tip. Mine are broken on both sides, and Tasca has the gray ones for only $15.56. Definitely will be in my next order.

Can you please post part number? Mine is like the above but black (grey)

that part is not made of very strong plastic; I had one break exactly where yours did and the replacement just broke where the screw attaches it a year later. i'm glad they at least lowered the price as I recall it was around $60 last time.

Quote Originally Posted by lacibaci View Post
      Can you please post part number? Mine is like the above but black (grey)
      I'm not quite sure of the part number, I just went to the dealer and they picked it out for me. Maybe someone on here can help with the part number.

Quote Originally Posted by schumicat View Post
      that part is not made of very strong plastic; I had one break exactly where yours did and the replacement just broke where the screw attaches it a year later. i'm glad they at least lowered the price as I recall it was around $60 last time.
      I was worried about what would keeping mine from breaking again too. One thing that might be new though is that they added reinforcement ribs right underneath the part of the plastic that breaks so easily. It definitely seems a lot stronger then the old design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to this webpage to find your "side panel"...diagram part #19 ... under "front seat" ... under "interior". The example diagram I have pulled up is for 2010 XC90 2.5T:
      http://www.jimellisvolvoparts.com/sh...driveLine=9965
      Depending on options and trim level (there are over a dozen variants) the prices range from $18 to $50 (massage option). Example part number:..#39996510.
      When I repaired our broken side panel, I used a rotary tool to cut away all the ribs on the underside... then several layers of fiber glass and two-part epoxy were laid in. Ended up with a reinforced side panel that I think will last "forever".
      Last edited by 12Ounce; 01-30-2014 at 06:45 AM.

Hey -thanks for doing this. The information was perfect and exactly the same for my 2007 V70. The part cost me $29 in Canada but it was well worth it. Thanks again it made my day!

Just did this today. About $23.00 at dealership. Took about 15 minutes, and since it was getting dark, I did much by touch. Shows how simple this fix is. Thanks for such a great write up!
      2012 C70 T5 Polestar
      2007 XC90 3.2

2003 XC90 T6 (traded in before tranny exploded!)
      1991 240 (sold but probably should have kept it)
      1967 122s (sold to the man who drove it all the way back to San Jose)

OK, - this was an issue that I inherited when I bought my XC90, and I haven't priced the piece yet. I was actually considering some nice tan colored duck tape, but this is great news! The issue is bothering me more every time something drops in the giant void (mine is actually missing the chunk of plastic) and it pinches as I exit the vehicle. Once the weather is warmer and the clothing is lighter and shorter, my rear is going to be less happy - so I thank you for this post.

I just bought a 2008 XC90 with this problem. Based on this page I found the part on Amazon and just installed it. Thanks!

...I wonder if we are foolish to hope this part will be more durable on the new XC90?

Quote Originally Posted by 12Ounce View Post
      ...I wonder if we are foolish to hope this part will be more durable on the new XC90?
      Or that Volvo would have integrated some type of side step/running boards. (Which they didn't on the new XC90).

Because isn't the problem that we have to sort of scoot/slide across it when getting in/out of the car? That's why I've always been hesitant to buy the Volvo running boards...they look more decorative then functional. Plus they are expensive.

But even so...if the part is now only $23.00 and only takes less than half an hour to install, (and lasts a few years) I'm happy with that.
      2012 C70 T5 Polestar
      2007 XC90 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by camarkim View Post
      Or that Volvo would have integrated some type of side step/running boards. (Which they didn't on the new XC90).

Because isn't the problem that we have to sort of scoot/slide across it when getting in/out of the car? That's why I've always been hesitant to buy the Volvo running boards...they look more decorative then functional. Plus they are expensive.

But even so...if the part is now only $23.00 and only takes less than half an hour to install, (and lasts a few years) I'm happy with that.
      To me its an annoyance ... as is anything that "breaks". I'd rather pay a some bucks more at the initial sale, and have higher quality parts. I would guess its more an issue of poor quality control, in design and testing ... more than it is an effort of cost control.

I think if you search you will find that almost all SUV manufacturers have a problem with the drivers seat. They can't possibly test for how most people "slide" in and out. To me a little crack is way better than a torn seat at the seam or worn through material.

Perhaps. I have an old '99 Windstar that is my daily ride... 400k miles. No cracks on any interior plastic trim parts ... bullet proof....worn, but no worn-though spots on seat leather. However, the fore-aft power seat motor has failed on the drivers chair ... $600 (ouch!) to replace. I may steal the motor from passenger's seat to replace ... but, its only an annoyance for others, why bother. LOL.

To me the real "manufacturer took the cheap route" complaint is the B-pillar panel. If they had made the plastic section higher, then we wouldn't all have torn up fabric B-pillars from grabbing for the seat belt. Super-cheesy.
      2012 C70 T5 Polestar
      2007 XC90 3.2

Agreed. I can see the first few years of it happening but after the first complaints came in, they should have made modifications. That is an easy piece to change.

Why Volvo never change producer of this crap and many others? Easy reply: Mafia parts selling again and again to us.
      Hate Volvo Hate Volvo Hate Volvo and no one will tell me that this is not part mafia.
      I even change this part its not price but 10 years VCC make monkeys from us. Never
      again Lolvo car purchasing. Tens of parts like this crack, brake, snap ect...Angry? Not at all
      happy that I take care about my XC but shameful what they made from reputable name. Shame.
      XC90 2.5T VOR AWD 06.06.2006 last 2.5T 258.800 km
      260 HP 410 Nm Tuned Chip + Software

Try buying a VW if you want to feel better about your Volvo. I'd rather pay $23.00 for a part after 7 years than the $2500 out of pocket I paid for 4 years of VW CC ownership. Bought that car brand new and it needed lots of parts that were WAAAY more than $23.00. Only made it to 57K miles by the way.
      2012 C70 T5 Polestar
      2007 XC90 3.2

^ Volvo's not as bad as VW when it comes to QC, but that's not saying much. My wife can attest that I point out XC90s whenever I see one and wants me to get one as my next vehicle, but I tell her that as much as I love the design, it would drive me nuts to constantly require service, and service for silly things at that.

Probably like anything else, it's hit or miss. My first XC90 was a legendary junk (2004 T6-these were prone to have catastrophic tranny failures) whereas our 2007 XC90 has been great for years. Same with my last VWs..a '99 and a '00 Passat. Both were great and solid, requiring just regular maintenance but nothing outrageous. I think my CC was a true lemon. Most of the people in my CC forum did not have nearly as many problems as I did.
      2012 C70 T5 Polestar
      2007 XC90 3.2

Its not only 1 bad quality part but over 30 parts made crap and I will repeat again
      and again. Crap.

I have a problem with the 3rd memory on the seat . Doesn't hold the program. Can I put a used module in place, and the one I've seen is cream but mine is black, can I take the plastic cover off and use it on mine .

Did you try to reset memory? I will post which fuse and how to reset it.
      If you are not driving alone but wife daughter ect...there is simple software
      to install and depending of the key when you Open the door with remote
      automatically seat memory will go depending of key. many people dont know
      about this. Later I will post you fuses and how to reset memory.

Never thought of the fuse . I'm the only driver. It's because I have the volvo tech canbus extender and the mirrors need to be positioned on memory 3 to drop when I put it in reverse

Two year post that was very detailed and helpful.... thanks WBSNOW
      Just did my driver side in about 5 mins.... part was in stock at the dealership... wow!
      2006 Volvo S60 2.5T - The Older I Get, The Better I Was

Broken Driver Side seat fixed !

Quote Originally Posted by DMac0013 View Post
      Two year post that was very detailed and helpful.... thanks WBSNOW
      Just did my driver side in about 5 mins.... part was in stock at the dealership... wow!
      Thanks for the pictures and the details !! Wow , I fixed it by myself ( a big deal)

Great documentation of the process thanks wbsnow93. No particular issues or difficulties in removing old part or installing new one. Cut two zip ties underneath seat and replaces with new ones when installing new part. purchased part on eBay: Volvo XC90 Seat Trim 39802012. Picture of before and after below. I have 2005 Volvo XC90.

Thanks for write up.
      Just ordered seat panel for my 2004. $16.65 at Voluparts online store. Also did not think part was this cheap.
      2004 XC90 T6
      2003 Vert Corvette 6 speed 550 HP
      2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4 Turbo Diesel 3.0
      2005 Tundra limited 4X4

Owned my '05 for 10 years now, on my 3rd replacement. By them 2 at a whack now, have a spare in my garage (somewhere). Now that I own 2 XC90s, just a matter of time for the other one.

Waddayagonnadoo, they break.
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 175k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 110k

I have a similar problem, with the addition the piece with the memory buttons is broken. What is that piece called?

2003 XC90 2.5T (RHD)

Control panel. And it's the switch assembly with case, not separate. For this early a model year, will need chassis number (last 6 of VIN), color of the existing unit, and if it has memory or not to get a part number. But you'll not be happy with the price (like $90+) if new. Best bet is to get the right part number and poke around for a used item if the control panel plastic is truly broken.
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 175k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 110k

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast