SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Short-take: XC60 i4 T6 (Drive-E)

12K views 90 replies 26 participants last post by  reward2 
#1 ·
I write up a little more later this evening but I wanted to pass along some immediate feedback after my test drive of the 2015 XC60 T6 (302hp, FWD, 4-cylinder)

Wow this Fun! That was my initial impression on my 40 minute solo drive in the 2015 XC60 T6. The 8-speed transmission is silky smooth and the Sport mode just put a giddy smile on my face. I was not expecting torquey wheel spin but it was there and made the drive a hoot! Off the line the supercharge makes a slight whine, which adds a enjoyable sound experience. Without the weight of AWD, the XC60 feels nimble and alive. The sport seats felt superb and offer just enough grip. I am really torn between the six-cylinder T6 and the new four-cylinder T6 - if you don't need AWD, the performance between the two is nearly identical. Passing from 75mph is strong. As these hit dealers in the next couple of weeks, I think the concerns about the 4-cylinder performance will subside - the 302hp in the new T6 is the real deal and it is a blast to drive.

More to follow. We drive the V60 and S60 tomorrow and given they are lighter than the XC60, I expect we will have a great day.

See less See more
#3 ·
That's great to read! I can't wait to read the new V60 review.

#4 ·
Thanks, can you comment on the powertrain smoothness (NVH) of the T6 3.0L I-6 vs the new one?

#5 ·
The I-6 may be a bit smoother but the seat of the pants feel between the two is neglicable - will have to test drive a I-6 T6 back-to-back with a I-4 T6. I think the buying decision really comes down to the need for AWD and if so, do you want the I-5 or I-6. The Polestar S60/V60 will be the last I-6 offering, so the old 3.0L will go out on a high note. Production for the I-6 will end around May.

#6 ·
My understandning is that the six cylinder T6 will remain for all AWD veihecles for several more years, and the new VEA four cylinder will be manufactured in paralell for FWD veihecles.

What is it you are saying will end in May?

#16 ·
Why or why oh why does the S60 not get these two-toned seats is beyond me. A R-design only being available in all black is just to dreary...who says all black interior is "sporty" is behind me...give us a choice. I literally bought a T5 AWD instead of a R-design because of seat color.

I'm glad to hear the positive review....if MPH really live up to as-advertised Volvo could have a real winner here. Lets hope they can be as reliable as the old I5 motors are. I kinda like the engine cover with the big emblem. Finally we are getting new product that will hopefully turn this ship around!

#17 · (Edited)
if MPH really live up to as-advertised Volvo could have a real winner here!
It will. EPA has already certified these engines. :cool:

These engines will be fantastic. The T5 engine will have an operating fuel cost that will be very close to that of a diesel, all the while having way better performance.

The XC90 T6 will get better MPG than a current X5 diesel.

#22 ·
#26 ·
Ok now I'm confused. In another thread, Chris you say production of I6 ends in May and if you want AWD with I6 better get it. But the V60 only comes with I6 in TURBO form not the 3.2 n/a engine. So, if one wants a V60 r design as is currently configured for MY 2015, that car will end production this May? Or are we only talking about Xc60? Thanks!

#29 ·
I was told Volvo would stop producing 6cyl around May with the Polestar S/V60 being the last of the 6cyl turbo for the U.S.

Yannis, if I misunderstood Jan-Erik, please let me know.

This is the 2015 line-up:

#28 ·
anyone have any data on how well the e-motors work offroad, in sand, snow, etc.?

I know Volvo is not intended as a full-blown off-road vehicle, but I still had confidence in it (justified) when in reasonably-tame offroad conditions. Will it be reasonable to have that level of confidence with AWD that is e-motor driven?

#30 ·
Will there be a Polestar tune for any of the Drive-E engines?

#31 · (Edited)
Grecian kind of hinted that POLESTAR is here to stay. Thank god! I'd like to see them become the AMG performance arm of Volvo. would be the right direction for Volvo to go upmarket ;0)
Almost every MB model has an AMG variant, there's a REASON($$$$$$$) for that. Jesus, when is Volvo Cars ever going to wake up WTF!

#34 ·
Grecian, are you saying AWD will be availible on VEA (DrivE) engines later this year? It sounds strange to drop the 6-cyl T6 engine with AWD if they cannot replace it with anything? New XC90 ought to be the first model with VEA and AWD and that is due spring 2015, or has that changed?

#43 ·
There will not be a Drive-E AWD offer in the U.S. during calendar year 2014. The XC90 will arrive around March of 2015 as a 2016 model. It will be the first Drive-E AWD model for the U.S. The legacy 5-cylinder T5 will continue as the AWD S/V60 offer.

#42 ·
The 60-cluster is at least two, maybe three years away. The 90-cluster is up first, XC90 then the S80's replacement the S90. The S/V/XC60s will be updated after those vehicles arrive.

#63 ·
Thanks for the write up and the look to what is in the future for Volvo. I think this may be the future of engines and drivetrains of many car companies. It sounds like you are happy with the new 4 cylinder platform. Be that as it may, introducing a new drive line: engine, transmission, and few four wheel drive system all at once, I am glad we decided to buy a 2013 XC60 T6 with a proven track record. It looks as if we will have that vehicle for a while.

#64 ·
I know this is an XC60 forum but I wanted to share my thoughts on the new Drive-e engine/transmission and S/S technology. I was able to drive the 2015 V60 T5 2.0L in a variety of conditions (hills, brisk acceleration, in-town and highway).

All I can say is wow. I never expected that level of refinement from a 4 cylinder super/turbo charged motor. I'm not going to say velvety smooth like a V8, but it definitely had a premium feel to it. The acceleration was more than adequate (coming from '06 S60R, '07 S80 V8 and '13 XC60 T6). Going from standstill to 45mph is quite brisk. The transition from supercharger to turbocharger is completely seamless and smooth. Next is the transmission, again velvety smooth and makes the 6 speed in my XC60 feel lethargic and archaic. Shifts were quick but not jerky.

Regarding the S/S technology, it is not intrusive at all. This is coming from someone who's driven a Prius for 3+ years. Toyota is the leader in hybrid technology, so their transition from EV to ICE to EV is second to none. The V60's S/S fires right up when you lift off the brake. I haven't tested BMW or MB's S/S technologies but coming from the Prius', this is on par but more impressive because it doesn't have the initial propulsion of the EV motor right off the bat like the Prius has.

Overall, I wasn't expecting much from this 2.0L turbocharged 4 cylinder but I was impressed. The 8 speed transmission probably had a lot to do with that as well. I'm sure the 302hp T5 motor is a lot more fun to drive, but in the V60 FWD, the 240hp T5 is more than adequate.

#66 ·
I know this is an XC60 forum but I wanted to share my thoughts on the new Drive-e engine/transmission and S/S technology. I was able to drive the 2015 V60 T5 2.0L in a variety of conditions (hills, brisk acceleration, in-town and highway).

All I can say is wow. I never expected that level of refinement from a 4 cylinder super/turbo charged motor. I'm not going to say velvety smooth like a V8, but it definitely had a premium feel to it. The acceleration was more than adequate (coming from '06 S60R, '07 S80 V8 and '13 XC60 T6). Going from standstill to 45mph is quite brisk. The transition from supercharger to turbocharger is completely seamless and smooth. Next is the transmission, again velvety smooth and makes the 6 speed in my XC60 feel lethargic and archaic. Shifts were quick but not jerky.

Regarding the S/S technology, it is not intrusive at all. This is coming from someone who's driven a Prius for 3+ years. Toyota is the leader in hybrid technology, so their transition from EV to ICE to EV is second to none. The V60's S/S fires right up when you lift off the brake. I haven't tested BMW or MB's S/S technologies but coming from the Prius', this is on par but more impressive because it doesn't have the initial propulsion of the EV motor right off the bat like the Prius has.

Overall, I wasn't expecting much from this 2.0L turbocharged 4 cylinder but I was impressed. The 8 speed transmission probably had a lot to do with that as well. I'm sure the 302hp T5 motor is a lot more fun to drive, but in the V60 FWD, the 240hp T5 is more than adequate.
Thanks for the write up. It is, indeed, a very well put together powertrain.

FYI: you drove the T5, which is only turbocharged, and not the T6 which has the combination of supercharger and turbocharger.

#85 ·
In acquiring my vehicle I knew from the onset that I would be leasing due to my business. I compared all types of brands; BMW VW LEXUS AUDI LAND ROVER PORSCHE ACURA and VOLVO.......of ALL those brands VOLVO offered the best cap cost compared to MSRP and the lowest money factor used. I'm sure the dealership still made a good profit (that's what businesses do) but with the others I would have been taken ADVANTAGE of!.....one brand did one better, it was JEEP. I did look into the 2014 GC SRT briefly but passed at the end. The SRT is a beast and the deal was unbeatable, but I liked the XC60 RD better. 0-60 times arent everything :0p

#86 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.