SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Dim gauges

4K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Black1985gt 
#1 ·
I've had an issue with the dimness of my gauges in my 04 SR for awhile now. When I first start the car the needles are nice and bright and the cluster LED's are bright too. After a few seconds they dim all by themselves and it's hard to see the temp and gas gauge. Any ideas why this happens? The brightness knob is the whole way up. I have a video but I bet bad reception at work and can't get it to load right now.

#5 ·
IIRC there was a software update for the 2004s DIM that included an update to the brightness of the lighting. Is all your software up to date?

#6 ·
I'm betting the sensor that notices how much light is coming in is covered by something or is bad.

#8 ·
It's not something regular per se, but there was a major software package update for the 04s that included a DIM lighting component as well as a gas gauge fix, and the trip computer resetting at will, etc..... I believe it also included the SUM revision that has been contested on here as being too soft. FWIW, I just did a whole care update for my 04 which had original software and I think it rides better. Good luck.

#10 ·
Hmmm first time I heard the trip resetting thing because mine does that. It's an 04. But has none of these other issues. How do you go about getting the software update?

#11 ·
Just go to your preferred dealer and ask for a total CAN update. Should be about $65 plus an hour of "labor" give or take some stealership activity ;)

#12 ·
Can a vovlo specific shop with dice- vida do the update?

#13 ·
Only if they subscribe to the Volvo software download service, so are a 'real' shop. A shop with a Chinese eBay VIDA can't.

The trip issue is it'll reset itself by itself after 1000km. My dealership did the software updates for free when the car was covered by a CPO/VIP warranty. I'm sure they'd charge me an hour of labor now though, about $125.

Any chance the dimmer wheel is borked? You can remove the lighting control panel pretty easily and take it apart, cleaning it out. The panel on my 04 died sometime around 2012 and I had it replaced under warranty.

#14 ·
They are a real shop and have all of the real software I will run by and ask them if they can run the update.

#16 ·
The fuel and temperature guages are not illuminated from the front in the same manner as the tachometer and speedometer, nor are they illuminated from the back. They are "in the dark" that way. I understand that doesn't necessarily answer the changing brightness, but something to keep in mind that the two smaller guages are inherently more dim.

#18 ·
Like I said, IIRC, it was to due with the brightness of the 4 LEDs that are positioned above the gauges and shine down on their faces. Anyone else remember?

#21 ·
I just installed a 2004 S80 cluster (Like the R gauges, but black faced) into my 2004 S60 2.5T, and I had the dealership perform the total CAN upgrade. Everything is working great, except for the overhead LED projectors. They do not turn on at all. Does anyone know if it is possible to turn these on in software on a NON-R S60? Thanks!

#22 ·
You have to supply them with switched power and ground from somewhere else. I have afriend who put an R cluster into a reg S60 AWD and did that. Sorry I don't have btter instructions.

#23 ·
Sorry I haven't been on here much lately as my truck broke down so I don't have a second car to drive while I work on the R. I did try to have the dealership do a software update but they weren't able to due to my aftermarket head unit. Apparently the CAN tries to connect with every module in the vehicle before an update and with the head unit module missing there's a chance it could fry the ECU. Which was a risk I wasn't willing to take. Right now my main concern is the chassis settings service light that the dealership couldn't seem to fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.