1st XC90 newbie - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1st XC90 newbie

I don't have an xc90 bit my mech has a 04 t6 that has been through 4(!!!) dealer replacement transmission, one almost every 15,000 miles. He replaced the radiator with an updated one and has had no problems for three years. You should probably have this checked out as well, other t6 owners can chime in on what the radiator has to do with these trans failures.
      2002 v70 xc Classic White/Gobi
      Mods: 17in Canopus Wheels, Euro Police-Spec suspension, IPD Poly Subframe Inserts, SNABB Intake, Gobi Swap

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There was a bit more snow this morning so the wife and I decided to both take the day off. So I took my XC90 to a dealer. I asked their service department about getting either a transmission power flush vs. Transmission fluid change. They said Volvo didn't recommend doing anything. What gives? I read here about the life time fluids and I know there are those who feel like there is no such thing as a "lifetime" however the tech I spoke with mentioned something to the effect of how there are particles that are necessary within the break down of the existing fluids. So if I replace that I am likely to cause harm than prevent it. I left there then went to a well known performance shop and asked about getting either and his response was sure we can do it. I mentioned the lifetime fluids and asked if there was a need to break the seal (I read that somewhere, I honestly didn't know what I was talking about) but his tone seemed to have changed. He then asked if I was having transmission troubles. I told him no that I wanted to do it for maintenance. He then replied saying that it was OK for maintenance but not if I was having existing trouble with the transmission. Guys I am really confused as to what I need to do to keep the car performing as well as it can. I am however, taking it back to the dealer for seat mounts. Any advice for the transmission? Oh... Oddly enough I smelled a burning oil like smell. When I got home as I passed the front of the vehicle. Any ideas as to what this could be?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The dealer will always avoid a transmission fluid change, find a decent independent Volvo mechanic to do the fluid. The techs whole particle speech is bs, it's best to remove it. For example Toyota used the same 5 speeds as Volvo used, Toyota said to change the fluid every 30k and Volvo said to never change it. I've heard no complaints from Toyota owners with this transmission but the list is endless from Volvo owners.

P.S. They are called stealerships for a reason

Hope this helps and try and get that fluid out of there ASAP!
      Mods: 17in Canopus Wheels, Euro Police-Spec suspension, IPD Poly Subframe Inserts, SNABB Intake, Gobi Swap

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger XC View Post
      The dealer will always avoid a transmission fluid change, find a decent independent Volvo mechanic to do the fluid. The techs whole particle speech is bs, it's best to remove it. For example Toyota used the same 5 speeds as Volvo used, Toyota said to change the fluid every 30k and Volvo said to never change it. I've heard no complaints from Toyota owners with this transmission but the list is endless from Volvo owners.

P.S. They are called stealerships for a reason

Hope this helps and try and get that fluid out of there ASAP!
      Gut tells me that you are right. I've read a lot of tranny issues here. Let me ask this... is there a specific fluid I should be looking to have it replaced with?

Find the oem spec ( don't know what it is as I have a 5 speed ) shouldn't be hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by rjosep01 View Post
      Gut tells me that you are right. I've read a lot of tranny issues here. Let me ask this... is there a specific fluid I should be looking to have it replaced with?

Check your owners manual. I'm curious as to what it says. Mine has a sticker over the original fluid they recommended and the sticker has something else printed on it. I will check it tomorrow. My rebuilt DEM is ready and I will be putting that in, along with a TCM.

By the way, my 2004 XC90 with the 2.9 T6 has the original transmission with almost 150k on the odometer. Looking at the service records I can see it has had regular transmission flushes.

What I like to say to dealers:

Do you still got this thing? Can you post some more pictures of the rear end?
      2006 V50 T5 AWD AW55, 320mm FR Brake upgrade, Elevate Intake, OBX Exhaust.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Latest Addition.
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Edition, w/Muffler Delete.
      2005 XC90 V8 Black, VB replaced, S60R Brake Swaped
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6spd. Malone S2 tuned 200hp/350tq.

Ricky that 90 looks very sharp and clean for a 2003. I agree with the safety and wanting your daughter in a Volvo.
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 132k, 2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 30K (The Wife's), 2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 35k

Quote Originally Posted by V50R View Post
      Do you still got this thing? Can you post some more pictures of the rear end?
      I still have her... had some suspension issues that needed to be addressed. But learned the expensive way that cheap aftermarket parts are not the best way to go! But she rides way better than when I originally purchased her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by maronha View Post
      Ricky that 90 looks very sharp and clean for a 2003. I agree with the safety and wanting your daughter in a Volvo.
      Thank you. I try to keep it well maintained simply because it was a purchase of passion. The excuse was to get something that my daughter could drive and be safe in and honestly not spend a lot of money on because... well let's face it... she's a teenager! But would you believe my crumb snatcher of a kid doesn't want it?!?! I can't say that I have put my foot down and said that she must drive it... well because let's face it... I guess I really bought it for me!

I hear ya on the daughter issue. Somehow I cant seem to keep an XC90 in my possession these days. Bought a white one, my dad wanted it, gave it to him. Found a black one for me, my mom needs a car, so there goes that one. Picked up another white one, now my sister is trying to snag that off me... UGHH! ...

Now what is up with the rear trim on the pRe facelifted bumpers? I did not realize you can put the quad piece on that bumper. How is it attached? Can you post more pictures of it. I would love to put that thing on my 05 too since i am going quad pipes too.

I hear ya on the daughter issue. Somehow I cant seem to keep an XC90 in my possession these days. Bought a white one, my dad wanted it, gave it to him. Found a black one for me, my mom needs a car, so there goes that one. Picked up another white one, now my sister is trying to snag that off me... UGHH! ...

Now what is up with the rear trim on the pRe facelifted bumpers? I did not realize you can put the quad piece on that bumper. How is it attached? Can you post more pictures of it. I would love to put that thing on my 05 too since i am going quad pipes too.
      Sounds like your family has a personal XC90 in-house dealer.

I was lucky enough to buy mine with this mod. I didn't do it myself and unfortunately don't have much of the details to help you out on it. But I will give it a go. I think there is a dealership that did most of the work including some of the mods like the fender flares. I will take some pics as best as possible and see if I can identify any part numbers for the rear skid plate to if you like that particular one. Give me some time though. I'm house sitting this week in NJ and the Moose is at home in PA.

Thanks for looking into this.

I think somehow they were able to cut the pre 07 bumper and adapted the 07+ quad pipe plate onto it. Im curious if they glued it on or how they attached it.
      if it is an aftermarket piece it would be interesting to figure out where they found one.

The pre 07s can look so updated with such a trim piece and some newer tail lamps.

That one you got is a stunning car!

My 05 which I want to update a bit... but then I got a 2010

My 05 which I want to update a bit... but then I got a 2010

Talk about sharp!!! I love it! In fact I can't remember exactly where but I want to say I saw a pic of your black one perhaps on the grass showing a profile. It was the yellow calipers that inspired me to paint mine. They're stock for now. I eventually will change them. I love your wheels. What are they and what size tires do you have on them?

I tried to see if I could find what my exhaust setup looks like and this is the closest I could find thus far

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh...ssembly=246262

Seems to me the previous owner may have outfitted mine with a later year bumper all together. Hopefully when I get in touch with the dealership they will have some info.

Oh man thanks for the comments. LOVE IT!

The wheels on the white one are Rotiform SPF 19x8.5 et 35. CB 72.6mm 5x108 with 255/50/19 tires. Wanted to go with stock size like the Sport rims so i chose the tire size and then i got lucky finding the wheels sitting on ebay waiting for me to snag them.

The yellow brakes are off of a S60R/V70R and they are 330mm all the way around 4 piston calipers on all 4 corners. Pretty neat. I figured out that the S60R has the same hubs as the 90 so therefore the mounting attachments for the calipers were the same so i went through sourced the calipers and rotors and tried it out and to my surprise they fit. Only problem is you have to run spacers to get stock rims to fit otherwise you have to go aftermarket like i did and mine fit pretty darn good.

There is a How to thread if you ever want to plunge 500$ on a brake job.

I find it that my 2010 has dual piston front brake calipers and it seems to stop better than the brembo set up and that could be due to the brake pad material. The Brembo set up is running some performance pads so until the heat up they seem to not be as effective.

V50R, I hope I can get some good shots of the quad pipe set up for you. As the title suggests I am a newbie to this and I can see from another post that you are already purchasing items for yours. I'm honored that you like and appreciate what I have. I hope to get to your status of mods and upgrades. Spending more time on this forum has helped me a lot!

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2