matt1122's Long-Term V60 R-Design Review Thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

matt1122's Long-Term V60 R-Design Review Thread

Configuration: Electric Silver Exterior, Nubtex Interior
      Platinum Trim Level, Enhanced BLIS Package, Technology Package, Heated Front Seats
      18" Ixion Wheels with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 in 235/45 R18, Standard Size (Prev: Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S)

Last Updated: 12/02/2016 @ ~39,000 miles
      Important: At this point, I am repurposing this review as info for people considering a 3.0L V60 R-Design as a pre-owned vehicle. The tone of the review has therefore changed.

Photo Album (Link Updated 1/23/16)

Important Dates
      12/27/2013 - Order Placed
      01/30/2014 - Vehicle Left Sweden
      02/13/2014 - Vehicle Visited Nova Scotia, I was not invited.
      02/15/2014 - Vehicle Arrived at Port
      02/22/2014 - Dealer ETA
      03/01/2014 - Vehicle Arrived at Dealership, Delivery Taken
      10/20/2014 - 10,000 Mile Service - No problems
      5/12/2015 - Rear Brakes Replaced @ 17K, wear likely due to heavy use of torque vectoring under "spirited" driving
      7/13/2015 - 20,000 Mile Service, Alignment Done, Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Tires Installed - Steering Response Greatly Improved
      3/11/2016 - 30,000 Mile Service, Tires Rotated, AC Piping Replaced to fix groan, Fuel Pump ordered to fix rough start issue, Injector Service needed for carbon buildup
      5/25/2016 - Rear and Front Brakes Replaced @ 31.6K, front rotors covered under warranty. Battery replaced under warranty because it was "below specs"
      11/28/2016 - 40,000 Mile Service, Tires Rotated, Brake Fluid Flushed, Alignment done, rear passenger side found to have uncorrectable camber .2° out of spec.

TL;DR Long-Term Review

I have never loved any of my other Volvo's as much as I love this one. 32 months and about 40,000 miles in, this car really puts a smile on my face every day and I have no regrets about purchasing it. It's very dynamic and can feel comfortable and relaxing to drive with its natural chassis setup, though bumps will be felt. When you push it hard, the AWD system and stability system work hard and really bring it to a new level, allowing it to perform far better than you'd expect if you only ever drove it casually. I feel that this car is highly underrated by the auto media which hasn't spent enough time behind it's wheel. A V60 Polestar or Tesla Model S (electric car wouldn't work for me right now) might be the only cars on the road I'd prefer over this car right now.

Long-Term Review - 40K Edition

Forward
      I originally leased this car because I expected I would want to replace it in three years. I knew the auto market would change rapidly during that time. Semi-autonomous drive is better than ever and is becoming more and more prevalent. Infotainment tech has marched on with big new touch screens, cloud connectivity, and integration of apps like Spotify and Apple Car Play. What I didn't realize would happen are the changes to how newer cars feel to drive. Electric power steering has replaced hydraulic systems in almost every new or refreshed model. While this does improve fuel economy, it completely kills steering feel. Manufacturers are working hard to recreate the connected feeling we once got from hydraulic power steering by electronically adjusting the level of assistance the power steering motor gives based on factors like lateral force and current tire slip, but it's just not the same. Furthermore, Volvo has downsized to 2.0L engines only, leaving us with a selection of powertrains which simply are not as satisfying. And so I am not unsure whether or not I will part with this car at the end of my lease. My priorities have changed and then they recently changed again. So as I reconsider parting with this vehicle, I figured I would rewrite this review and direct it at those considering it as a CPO vehicle in the next years or so.

Part One: The 3.0L Experience

From a real world "useful" acceleration perspective, the 3.0L offers similar passing power to what you can get from a 2.0L Turbo in a lighter vehicle with more gears. You may have a few tenths of a second advantage with the 3.0L, but it's the kind of advantage that goes away completely when you can just step on the gas that many tenths of a second early to compensate. In fact, if you race a 2.0L Turbo VW, Audi, or whatever from a roll from x to 20 miles per hour above x, the outcome will almost always depend on who had the better reaction time. Even if you have an extra 100 horsepower. From an enthusiast's standpoint, however, the additional two cylinders and liter of displacement bring a level of thrust the 2.0L (non-Polestar, non-AMG, non-Subaru STI, etc.) simply does not possess. And then there is the aural experience. The 3.0L T6 sounds amazing. At low speeds with a little enthusiasm put into the throttle, the exhaust creates a hushed tone that perfectly captures this wagon's sleeper status while still drawing just the right amount of attention. You won't hear it from the driver's seat unless it's reflected back to you by a wall or in a tunnel or underpass, but it's there and it's fantastic. But it's the intake and spooly turbo that really emit the sense of power with this engine when throttle is applied. And when throttle is let off, the release of exhaust pressure lets everyone nearby with a trained ear hear that yes, that was the sound of a high-pressure turbocharger spooling up. And when you do invoke the full power of this engine, it lets out a howl that causes some vehicles in the next lane to overreact and move as far from you as the safely can. And it is beautiful. Hands down, the 3.0L T6 is a better engine. Test drive both ways and decide what you want, but I doubt anyone will ever lust after the 2.0L T6 the same way.

In my testing (starting in first and letting the automatic shift) this car consistently hits 60 miles per hour in less than the advertised time of 5.3 seconds when new. It's easily faster once broken in. Even at close to 40,000 miles, I'm still frequently seeing times a hair under 5.0 seconds. Quarter mile is still in the low 13.0's using mobile apps. Trap speeds are approaching 110mph.

Let me stop there, though. This is not a BMW M. This is not a Mercedes AMG. This is not even an Audi S. This, my friends, is a sleeper. It may not be as unassuming as a boxy 850 wagon, but people are still getting behind the minivan instead of the Volvo wagon hoping it will go faster. Enthusiasts love seeing a Volvo wagon that can take off like a bat out of hell. This is where the 3.0L R-Design excels. If you want something more overtly sporty and about 15% more athletic, there is now the Polestar. If you're outside the US and you're okay with 10% less, there was the T6 AWD without the R-Design treatment. Add the 19" Sport Package and Polestar tune - now you have all the performance of the R-Design with even more sleeper status. But the point here is there are a few varying degrees of Volvo wagon sleeper, and what you're getting does Volvo wagon sleeper very well. It's great for what it is, but if you're looking for that "look at my race car" experience, try the Polestar. If that doesn't do it for you, you'll have to give up the wagon or get the insensible E63 AMG from Mercedes or do some extensive tuning. Polestar got 508hp out of an S60 R-Design, and if you have the skill set to do the same I hope you have the funds and time because it's something I would love to see someday at a meet up.

Part Two: 2.0L Models, Other Differences

The 3.0L's 6-speed automatic transmission performs well, but is not as fast as the newest generation of 8-speed automatics. Twisting roads and slippery slopes aside, there is no reason to shift gears manually. The experience in drive is mostly tame and you will need to step vigorously to make the car really move. If you really want to go, go, go, throwing the shift lever to the left activates Sport Mode. In Sport, the throttle is much more sensitive and the car will make better use of the powerband. Throttle may seem overly sensitive at low speeds, but the advantage of putting a large portion of the throttle in the first inch of pedal travel is that it leaves the rest of the pedal's travel distance for finer control at speed. This is very important at high speeds, as you get much finer control over the vehicle's weight transfer when cornering. Fortunately, you can shift between sport and drive whenever you want with a flick of your wrist. The SPA models don't offer this, and I think that sucks. Fortunately, Drive-E P3 models retained this feature.

The 3.0L R-Designs do not have fully electric power steering and therefore have much better steering feel and feedback than the 2.0L model range. This also means the 3.0L cars cannot use Lane Keeping Assist (which actively helps keep you in your lane instead of just warning you that you're about to go over a line). The 3.0L R-Designs do, however, have electric power steering assistance which allows you to choose between high, medium, or low steering force. Low means you have to apply less force to turn the wheel at speed, and I find this tends to result in a bit more body roll. Medium and Heavy are both great for sporty driving, depending on your environment.

Part Three: Chassis and Drivetrain

Torque is quickly transferred between wheels, and the car never feels like it is FWD. While Torque vectoring helps with maneuvering, it doesn't always play nicely when the wheels start to slip. Especially in DSTC Sport mode, the artificial oversteer can lead to disruptive intervention by stability control once things start to go sideways (literally) - the kind that kills all power to the wheels, leaves you pointed in the wrong direction, and ensures embarrassment and a feeling that you were driving beyond your capabilities. The reality is that torque vectoring and stability control can only do so much to improve the handling of a front-heavy car. Because DSTC will re-engage yaw control when you begin to lift off the throttle, you don't get much of an opportunity to correct before stability control takes steps to slow you down and keep you safe. When you approach this car's electronically-enhanced handling limits, you don't want to cross them. That said, the limits are set quite high for such a heavy vehicle. There is a bit more body roll than I would like, but the car manages to stay planted if not neutral. There was a bug in the DEM software which caused AWD degradation over time. Less power would be transferred to the rear over time due to some adaptation. This was fixed on my car in March 2016. This reduced understeer in curves under throttle.

I would not describe the V60 R-Design's ride as harsh, but when you hit a big bump you will feel it. When you hit a pothole you will hear it and it may fill you dread, but it will be relatively well absorbed despite the ride height and suspension stiffness.

Road holding and braking traction is adequate with the stock Pirelli P7 A/S tires, as the body roll and weight are a much more limiting factor in this car's handling. Tire performance improved with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires installed.

=== SNIP - Nothing below here edited yet. ===

Driving Environment

The interior is darker than Ozzy Osbourne, but the beautiful full-color LCD instrument display makes up for this and makes driving very pleasant. The sports seats are more comfortable than any other seat I had ever sat in, car or not, until the 2016 XC90 launched. The steering wheel has a soft luxurious feel, but the leather is also delicate and easy to scratch. The rest of the materials used in the cabin are also nice to touch, while my favorite is the faux Nubuck textile used on the seats. The seat design may provide plenty of support, but this surface adds some friction which doesn't hurt when you want to drive it like you stole it.

The window controls feel solid, but they don't always respond as expected with regard to whether the automatic raising/lower is activated or not. I may pull up on both rear switches together, but only one window rolls all the way up automatically. The turn signal and wiper stalks also came with some rough edges which I no longer notice, perhaps because they have been filed down over time.

Climate Control works very well and I rarely need to adjust anything, but I do wish I had the Interior Air Quality System to keep some of the smells out. I also wish the passenger-side climate control zone was disabled when it was unoccupied so I didn't have to use two dials to adjust the temperature - not a major issue since adjustment is rarely needed. It would be nice if the passenger seat heater was also automatically disabled in this case or if the temperature had risen considerably since the car was last driven.

The vehicle originally had a whiny AC compressor, which was irritating when going block to block in Manhattan traffic. This was fixed per a tech journal after I complained prior to 30k mile service. That aside, the ride is very quiet. There is no noticeable or irritating wind noise, and I did not experience any distracting creaks or groans from the interior or chassis for about 20k miles. At that time, I had some door seal noise which was easily fixed with very light lubrication and has not returned. At 28k miles I had to lubricate some seals I had missed. At 29k miles, I started to notice some creaking when the chassis flexed. You can hear another person in the car even if they are barely whispering, and considering how fast this car is that is very impressive to me. Step on the gas, and the exhaust emits a pleasant sophisticated throaty growl very fitting to the vehicles character. People will take notice and hear you begin to pass them if you push it hard. A limo driver at one point felt it necessary to yell profanities at me because he was startled by the sudden noise from the exhaust and turbo bypass valve when a little throttle was applied, even under casual driving, but for the most part the car doesn't draw any unwanted attention. The car has received a fair bit of positive attention despite its unassuming styling.

Technology

While I am excited for the possible tech improvements coming in the next generation of this car, I am generally satisfied by the tech this car has.

As I said above, the digital instrument cluster looks great. Integration of the technology package and navigation system are fantastic, though I wish the Performance theme had a function for showing the speed of the vehicle in front of me while using Adaptive Cruise Control (all of the other themes do). If It did, I would use Performance all the time. Instead, I'm using Eco with the Contrast mode setting to get a dark gray theme. It's nice to be able to choose a theme, but I wish I could switch between the Eco and Power gauges without changing the style. If these side "blades" functioned as part of the trip computer instead of moving aside to show that data it would be amazing. For instance, if the Eco gauge showed along with current MPG and average MPG "widgets" overlaying it (rather than pushing it away) and only showing up when fuel economy was being displayed. The system could also be driven by a faster processor or perhaps have a faster input bus, as the responsiveness when buttons are pressed is a little slow. It makes the car feel dated compared to... well, any other consumer computing device less than 10 years old.

I've found the Sensus infotainment system functional and intuitive. Occasionally, I need to disconnect and reconnect my phone from USB because things aren't syncing up properly. This may be an Apple problem. Coming from a more traditional stereo in my previous vehicle, I'm very satisfied. But scrolling through the list of music on my iPhone can be slow, and the search function doesn't seem to work all the time. There should be a traditional bluetooth button to activate Siri, though being able to say "Hey Siri" in iOS 8 has made this a non-issue.

The attention to detail in the Nav system is high, and it's very clear where it wants me to go and when. Unfortunately, the traffic data is not crowd-sourced like Waze and so it is inferior. I do not feel I can use it instead of Waze for my commute. I also often use Google Maps for non-commuting trips because it has features that make it easier to use. Input is clunky and slow to respond, routing isn't perfect… but it's okay. A built-in Waze or Google Maps app with the same integration would be preferable. OEM Nav as it is now is a waste of consumers' money. Someday manufacturers will realize this. If those apps could provide the same integration with the instrument cluster, HUD (no, not on this car), and use the full screen on an XC90-like Sensus "tablet," I would be 100% satisfied. These OEM systems will never, ever get there.

The Technology and Blind Spot packages provide a great deal of convenience and make the car feel more luxurious. I will not opt out of these systems in future Volvo cars. They really improve the driving experience at times. I have more details about this system in this post: LINK.

These systems all work as described, but there are some areas for improvement. I will be focusing on those here.

(A) Collision Warning doesn't recognize upcoming curves in the road, and I sometimes get warnings about a pedestrian on the sidewalk or a car in the opposite lane when approaching a curve while the steering wheel is still straight. I also get false warnings when there is a sudden change in incline or a dark shadow is on the road, such as from an overpass. It seems the car thinks I'm about to crash into a wall. I should also be able to adjust the volume of the lane departure warning system. Collision Alert should not completely cut off the stereo as it does, as it causes popping when the audio system comes back on.

(B) Active High Beam could better discern between street lights, driveway lanterns, and headlamps, but it works very well on a road with no street lighting.

(C) Road Sign Information could do a better job recognizing and displaying school zones (including "End School Zone" signs). It should ignore bus/truck speed limit signs.

(D) BLIS and Lane Departure Warning should work together to automatically give early alerts if a vehicle is in the encroached lane.

(E) Distance Alert and ACC should probably automatically increase or recommend increasing distance by one second when the rain sensor is enabled or slippery conditions are detected.

I'll keep this thread in my signature and update it over the 39 months of my lease with any problems, complaints, or praises I have.
      Last edited by matt1122; 12-02-2016 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Updates
      Current: 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design | Electric Silver / Nubtex | Platinum eBLIS Tech HFS [Long-Term Review Thread]
      Future: 2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Bowers&Wlkins gHUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension [Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Congrats Matt on the new purchase! I cant wait to see it in person. I'm shocked that you think the turning radius is worse than the P2R, personally coming from a 2007 S60R to my 2012 S60RD, I found it was much better and haven't had any awkward moments in the parking lot yet, haha! If you look up the turning radius between the two the newer is short by a few more feet; regardless you'll get used to its driving habits.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black, Platinum/Tech/Climate/BLIS/19" Ixion II, KN Filter, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Swaybar {His}
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD - Osmium Grey/Off Black {Hers}
      FS Items: XC60 Cargo Cover
      SOLD:1994 940 Turbo/2004 S40 LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda3 i-touring/2012 S60RD/2013 S60 T5AWD

Congrats! I look forward to reading about your experiences.

For 2014, Volvo updated the transmission programming with the T6 6cyl, similar to the updates to the '13 T5 AWD. Perhaps that is the difference you are sensing?
      chris@swedespeed.com | instagram.com/swedespeed
      2013 C30 Polestar - #141/250 -
      Rebel Blue, 6MT, Climate, RearVision camera
      2016 XC90 R-Design T6 - Passion Red, air suspension, B&W, Vision, Convenience, Polestar
      2015.5 V60 T6 R-Design Platinum - Rebel Blue, snabb intake, do88 FMIC, KPAX exhaust, KW V3 coilovers

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Matt,

You have finally gotten into your V60! Congrats, I know it was a long waiting period for you.

I am also quite surprised on your turning radius comment. I have yet to drive a V60 but I have driven plenty of S60 R-designs over the past 2+ years and I am convinced their turning radius is way better than that of P2 Rs...no comparison.

Do you have the 18" or the 19" wheels?
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2016 V60 Polestar Electric Silver

Matt-

Glad you're happy with the car. Looking forward to your further thoughts. Am concerned about your impressions of the turning radius. That was the only significant flaw in my V70R.

Chris - I don't think it's the transmission because I also had a more positive experience a few months ago in a regular 2013 T6 that made me think the R-Designs I had previously driven were running low octane fuel. I'm really not sure what it could have been. The first few times I drove these cars, they seemed quite boring and tame compared to the old T5's.

GV & PD & OB - Sorry, I edited my post. That should have said XC, not R. I have the 18" Wheels. Compared to the XC the turning radius is horrible. I simply couldn't pull in and out the same way I used to. Fortunately, the backup camera made it easy to back in once I realized I had to take it wide. It would have taken me a while to figure out where to start my turn if I didn't have those guides.
      Current: 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design | Electric Silver / Nubtex | Platinum eBLIS Tech HFS [Long-Term Review Thread]
      Future: 2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Bowers&Wlkins gHUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension [Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD

I rewrote the handling section. I think it better expresses my first impression now.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      I rewrote the handling section. I think it better expresses my first impression now.
      Let me know how you like the ride quality with the 235/45/R18 tires. I'm due for a new set of rubber for my S60RD and I was thinking about going up from 235/40/R18 to a 235/45/R18.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black, Platinum/Tech/Climate/BLIS/19" Ixion II, KN Filter, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Swaybar {His}
      SOLD:1994 940 Turbo/2004 S40 LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda3 i-touring/2012 S60RD/2013 S60 T5AWD

Any comments on the premium sound? Any door/speaker rattles?
      2014 S60 R-Design Platinum Passion Red / Heated Seats / 19" IxionII / KPAX Cat-Back / IPD Sway Bar / 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint / Curt Hitch / Escort Redline

Congrats!! Pics coming soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Steele Faucet View Post
      Congrats!! Pics coming soon?
      Yes! I just haven't had time yet!

Quote Originally Posted by PureDrive07 View Post
      Let me know how you like the ride quality with the 235/45/R18 tires. I'm due for a new set of rubber for my S60RD and I was thinking about going up from 235/40/R18 to a 235/45/R18.
      It's great. The future wifey and I both feel it rides better than the XC did (with 100k on it), and that's with the much firmer ride.

Quote Originally Posted by teefive View Post
      Any comments on the premium sound? Any door/speaker rattles?
      We'll see how the interior holds up over time, but for now there are no rattles - everything sounds very tight, even with some dubstep or house playing. Or the Harlem Shake.

I'll do a detailed review on the platinum package stuff in the near future, but I don't understand how people can say there isn't a significant difference between this and the standard sound system. I found the standard system underpowered (it made sacrifices to pump out any decent amount of bass, and the bass had to constantly be manually tuned). This system has no distortion, even very loud, and the bass nor treble drop when you crank it up. I keep hitting the sound button or getting into the EQ menu and then just backing out because there's no need to adjust. I'm extremely impressed and happy with it. A sub would be a welcome option, but not really necessary.
      Last edited by matt1122; 03-02-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Good luck with the car Matt. Good to hear you "finally" received it.
      '17 Volvo S60 Polestar '15 XC60T5 Polestarised '15 Polestar V60 '13 C70T5 Polestar optimised

Congrats on the purchase Matt!
      Looking forward to more pictures and thoughts on your new baby!
      2014 BMW 435d xDrive Coupe w/ M Sport Package | 313 HP / 630Nm | Estoril Blue | Photo album
      2011 Sold Volvo S60 T6 AWD | 304 HP / 440Nm | Ember Black | Photo album

Enjoy the car!

How's the sunroof?
      2000 Volvo S70 SE; First Owner; 321k km; Retired
      2012A Volvo S60 T5 Level II; GONE!

Acura TLX SH-AWD with Tech Owner's Thread. Geokilla's Mini-blog.

Hi Matt any idea yet regarding fuel economy?

Geo, the taklucka is awesome.

Chicken, I'll be posting / updating fuel economy data for my commutes for the next few weeks since those are the same every day.

My commute is rough, however. My XC70 only did 16.8mpg on it in the winter.

Also took the rough road today and my opinion of the chassis still stands. Even did a few speed bumps.

Added driving environment review.

Cargo area dog-compatibility review will come sometimes next week.
      Pleasant surprise: the net version of the cargo barrier came as standard equipment!

I'll also be filling up with premium fuel soon, and should have a commute fuel economy report tonight.

Added driving environment review.

Cargo area dog-compatibility review will come sometimes next week.
      Pleasant surprise: the net version of the cargo barrier came as standard equipment!
      I noticed this on the V60 the other day when I was at the dealership; thought that was a cool added feature.

Pics or it never got delivered! Congrats on the sweet new ride man.
      2013 S60 R-Design, Passion Red. Modified with red "R" valve stem caps that probably add 20-25 HP.

1998 S70. 120k miles. GLT that needs some TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Fifth Set View Post
      Pics or it never got delivered! Congrats on the sweet new ride man.

Let's be like the R Forum and say he's got a CamRy, hahahaha! Come on Matt, the teaser picture on FB isn't enough!

Pics or it's a base model Corolla!
      NEW! 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Manual
      2007 S40 T5 White
      Previous: 1989 740 Turbo, 1995 960, 1999 V70 XC AWD

It's actually a Tercel.

...with all the stalling, it's definitely a Type-(aa)R(gh)! :P
      Truedelta - Fuelly - last.fm
      (sold) 1994 Calypso Green Ford Ranger XLT Standard Cab I4 MT - color-matched Leer cap
      (sold) 2007 Aurora Blue Mazda 3 GTS Hatchback MT - Sound & moonroof package
      2014 Rebel Blue Volvo S60 T6 R-Design AWD - Platinum, Climate & Tech packages, 3M Ventureshield + 20/35/50 tint

Here's a couple of crumby proof shots for the doubters. I'll take more photos after the first wash, I think.

Filled up with 93 today and have seen some improvement to how smooth the engine is, but fuel economy on my commute was identical.

Looks like I get about 17mpg city, 20mpg commute, 25.5mpg highway.

It's actually a Tercel.
      LOL, extra points for the Toyota jokes. We just bought my wife a Prius C. Now, God bless her for prioritizing the kids and stuff over cars, but this car she wanted is a little funny. For all the talk of hybrid "technology," the reality is quite simple. When you press on the gas pedal, the car doesn't really move. Of course this is going to save gas!!

Back on topic, the car looks great in silver! Nice choice and congrats.
      2013 S60 R-Design, Passion Red. Modified with red "R" valve stem caps that probably add 20-25 HP.

1998 S70. 120k miles. GLT that needs some TLC.

Great thread and really like how you laid out all your information. Very helpful.

Can I ask what brand/model tire is on the car? Winter or A/S tires?

Congrats Matt and great looking car with the silver! My second choice. Very much enjoyed your review and I mostly agree with your experiences. I haven't noticed the latency issue you describe but then I don't have the tech pkg, so you may be on to something there.

I'm currently attempting a deal to swap in a set of the 19" Bor wheels for the stock 18's, so if all goes well I will post some pics of the new look and impressions of the ride soon!

I'm at about 850 miles on the clock now so I'll have to let the horses run free very soon, can't wait! You have a great time with that new hot vagn!!
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

At this point I just wanted to say a quick blanket thanks for all the congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by wantavolvo View Post
      Great thread and really like how you laid out all your information. Very helpful.

Can I ask what brand/model tire is on the car? Winter or A/S tires?
      Funny, I originally had this in there and took it out for some reason.

They are Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S tires, 235/45 R18. Tirerack has pretty good survey results on them:

I don't think I've experience wet roads with them yet, but dry they are FANTASTIC for all-season tires. I'm REALLY impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      I haven't noticed the latency issue you describe but then I don't have the tech pkg, so you may be on to something there.
      I didn't notice it in any other MY14 cars I've sat in, either, and none of those had the Tech Package either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      I'm currently attempting a deal to swap in a set of the 19" Bor wheels for the stock 18's, so if all goes well I will post some pics of the new look and impressions of the ride soon!
      I would love to know what you think of the ride, especially. I think Bor's would look great and wouldn't mind having winter tires on my Ixion's and Summer Tires on a set of Bor's myself! The flat-black Ixion II's only look good with certain setups, IMHO.

Congrats on your V as well! I hope you find yours as fun as I have found mine when you let it loose! I still haven't pushed it very hard, and I don't know if I'll ever have a chance to given how fast it is.
      Last edited by matt1122; 03-05-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Matt -

The car looks great! We inked a deal on the same day. My contractual delivery date was March 18. It is a plain vanilla V60 RD with only 19" Potenzas. Now it comes to Brunswick on the 3-21 and could be delivered as late as 3-29. Wringing the last couple of bucks out of the deal has a cost.

Two questions: How long was your car "in transit". I have a VIN and the above delivery dates. From your experience, are they real? Second: After you get a chance give it a bit of a ride, does it need more rear bar?

Congrats on striking a deal.

My car left Sweden on 1/30, arrived in NJ on 2/16, and was delivered to the dealership (40 minutes away by car) on 3/1. There were storms involved with delaying the boat and the car from getting out of port, and another member in-the-know said on Facebook that under-staffing at the port could have contributed to the delays. My delivery date was 2/22. I was told a week before that it would arrive during the week prior to that Saturday, instead it came the Saturday that followed. So I would take the dates with a grain of salt!

Unless you're tracking the car, I don't think a rear anti-sway bar upgrade is "needed" and I'm satisfied knowing RSC will CYA. I actually don't know if I'm a good judge of this, however. I just came from driving P2 XC70's for about 10 years with stock bars.
      Last edited by matt1122; 03-05-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Great thread.. My first post at Swedespeed.

I'm days away from pulling the trigger on almost exactly the same configuration, although I'm on the fence re: the platinum trim. My last 2 cars (Hondas) have had in-dash Nav and I swore never again. The quality of those systems were generations behind my iPhone or a Garmin you can get on Amazon for a tenth the cost, and they had the nerve to charge $100+ for map updates.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the technology package... I will almost certainly get that package, but it seems impossible to find a dealer that stocks any car with it. The salesman actually told me that their target demo is 70 year old ladies who are afraid of technology. Great job selling the brand, dude...

Well I guess I can get into those two earlier than planned if it helps!

Platinum Trim

Navigation System: The Navigation System is great in some ways, but awful in others. Text entry is slow and annoying, and searching for Points of Interest is hardly as practical and intuitive as on Google Maps or any other computer-based navigation system. You also have to choose an area to search manually before getting long distance directions (for example: to get to NYC I have to first choose New York as the search area even though I only live about 20 miles from Manhattan). It's better than the Garmin Nuvi I tried out when I received it as a gift a few years ago, but only because of the larger screen and deep integration with the Infotainment system / car. I enjoy the in-speedometer directions and how it turns off my turn signal clicky when its talking to me - the attention to detail is there for the most part. Voice command is far from natural. Traffic seems pretty delayed compared to Waze on my phone, so I use Waze for commuting and the Volvo Nav for random middle of the day or late at night drives where I'm not worried about traffic. I wouldn't shell out the extra money for the navigation system alone, though it is nice to have and I have and will make use of it.

Premium Sound System: Superb. Absolutely excellent. 100% worth my investment in the Platinum Trim. Much more power than the base system. Much more dynamic sound. Better bass. Better treble. Better mids. Better everything. If you truly care about the way your music sounds and typically spend money on high-value audio equipment (I'm not talking Audiophile here, but even just Bose stuff) I think you might appreciate this most of all. Keep in mind that the stereo is the most important part of a car to me. If you are satisfied by a system that will cut treble to reserve power for some fake-sounding bass or a set of USB speakers on your PC, the base system will probably be fine.

The Accent Lighting and Auto-Dimming Mirrors are a nice luxury to have and round out the package well. I'm very happy I took the platinum package, but again it's mostly because of the audio system.

Technology Package

This is Volvo's best asset right now, and it's so sad that so few vehicles are being equipped with it. Adaptive Cruise Control is great on and off the highway and keeps me from getting mad when people can't maintain a constant speed or are going under the limit because I don't have to deal with it - I let the car deal with it and enjoy my music, and the Queue Assist feature makes traffic so much more relaxing AND amusing (I'm sure the second part will come to pass). These two systems combined probably represent what the future of self-driving cars will be like. I have seen the future, and it is bright and beautiful. I was about to have some fun today when an unmarked police car jumped on my tail. Set adaptive cruise control, get behind a boring driver, listen to the music instead. I don't know how I lived without this system. It gives me something to do when people in front of me are 90 years old. It's like pressing buttons to tell the car to drive itself and then you just steer. Sometimes I set it to the maximum speed when in a 25mph zone and pretend that I'm speeding even though the car in front is going 18mph.

The Collision Warning System is great for when you're playing with the settings on your new car. Don't ask me how I know. Other than that, it's mostly annoying, but the Distance Alert system is great for making sure you're maintaining an adequate distance. I don't find the lights or beeping annoying, and while it did activate falsely once so far it was because of some really bad driving by about 4 different cars in front of me going all different ways. Hard to explain.

Driver Alert Control has not triggered yet. Lane Departure Warning warns later than I like, so it mostly only yells at me when I'm doing it on purpose to avoid potholes or trucks mingling in two lanes on a curve. This is with it on the more sensitive setting.

Active High Beam is a wonderful magical feature which makes me smile every time I get to use it, and road sign information isn't infallible but is convenient nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdub View Post
      The salesman actually told me that their target demo is 70 year old ladies who are afraid of technology.
      What an idiot...
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2016 V60 Polestar Electric Silver

I was going to let it go, but if they were targeting anyone who was afraid of technology it wouldn't be called the "Technology Package."

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast