matt1122's Long-Term V60 R-Design Review Thread - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      I would actually like to change my answer about the rear sway bar. Yes, it needs more bar. A good lateral shift (fast double-lane switch, aka "The Jersey Slide") will upset the rear considerably. Still easily controllable / passes the 80mph moose / accident avoidance test.
      Last edited by matt1122; 03-06-2014 at 12:11 PM.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      Technology Package

This is Volvo's best asset right now, and it's so sad that so few vehicles are being equipped with it. Adaptive Cruise Control is great on and off the highway and keeps me from getting mad when people can't maintain a constant speed or are going under the limit because I don't have to deal with it - I let the car deal with it and enjoy my music, and the Queue Assist feature makes traffic so much more relaxing AND amusing (I'm sure the second part will come to pass). These two systems combined probably represent what the future of self-driving cars will be like. I have seen the future, and it is bright and beautiful. I was about to have some fun today when an unmarked police car jumped on my tail. Set adaptive cruise control, get behind a boring driver, listen to the music instead. I don't know how I lived without this system. It gives me something to do when people in front of me are 90 years old. It's like pressing buttons to tell the car to drive itself and then you just steer. Sometimes I set it to the maximum speed when in a 25mph zone and pretend that I'm speeding even though the car in front is going 18mph.
      Another benefit is it takes a lot of the white-knuckle out of getting caught in white-out conditions. I live & work in the Lake Erie snow belt, and it's not unheard of to have a localized blizzard when the rest of the region is sunny & clear. I had to drive through 2 of them last week on the way to work--couldn't see further than a hundred feet or so, so I set a reasonable speed and max following distance. Conditions improved, and there I was following a semi I hadn't seen, at the requested 3-second following distance. :P

The amusement will come from watching the car bring itself to a complete stop from 75 when approaching a traffic jam...
      Truedelta - Fuelly - last.fm
      (sold) 1994 Calypso Green Ford Ranger XLT Standard Cab I4 MT - color-matched Leer cap
      (sold) 2007 Aurora Blue Mazda 3 GTS Hatchback MT - Sound & moonroof package
      2014 Rebel Blue Volvo S60 T6 R-Design AWD - Platinum, Climate & Tech packages, 3M Ventureshield + 20/35/50 tint

Conditions: 40°F, dry roads, fuel mixture should have been over 91 AKI
      Launch: Off Brake at Idle > WOT
      Top Speed: 60.8mph, probably stepped off early
      Transmission was set to Sport and shift to third before hitting 60.

2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would love to know what you think of the ride, especially. I think Bor's would look great and wouldn't mind having winter tires on my Ixion's and Summer Tires on a set of Bor's myself! The flat-black Ixion II's only look good with certain setups, IMHO.

Congrats on your V as well! I hope you find yours as fun as I have found mine when you let it loose! I still haven't pushed it very hard, and I don't know if I'll ever have a chance to given how fast it is.
      Thanks Matt! The Bor's are on btw, and oh so sweet!

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-and-V60-owner
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

Impressive! Thanks for posting.

Nice! I'll take that all day! Think the best S60 time I've seen reported is 5.05?

Yeah, TheTruthAboutCars posted a 5.05.

I think that's without letting it shift to 3rd, something I want to try. Should shave .2-.3 seconds off if I shift right.

That was also on a 2012, prior to the Advanced Quick Shift implementation.

Who knows when I'll get lucky enough to have a safe opportunity again, though.

Thoughts on why you picked the nubuck "textile" vs. all leather seats? I have never seen them in person, but on paper it doesn't sound as nice...

Edit: went back and found your post on real vs. fake Nubuck. At the time you were regretful... now that you've had it for a week, whaddya think?
      Last edited by Sdub; 03-07-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdub View Post
      Great thread.. My first post at Swedespeed.

I'm days away from pulling the trigger on almost exactly the same configuration, although I'm on the fence re: the platinum trim. My last 2 cars (Hondas) have had in-dash Nav and I swore never again. The quality of those systems were generations behind my iPhone or a Garmin you can get on Amazon for a tenth the cost, and they had the nerve to charge $100+ for map updates.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the technology package... I will almost certainly get that package, but it seems impossible to find a dealer that stocks any car with it. The salesman actually told me that their target demo is 70 year old ladies who are afraid of technology. Great job selling the brand, dude...
      I've bought a lot of cars, new and used, over the years. Every time I test drive a car that is maybe 5 years or so old, the Nav's obsolescence always stands out.
      Just drove a G37 Convertible the wife was interested in and the NAV was a joke compared to the simplicity of a Droid phone with google maps. Even if you do pay for "updates", the hardware may not stack up in the long run.

We have received a lot of the "Volvo customers want plain, homely, staid, and boring cars" from our salesman. I wonder sometimes if the people who sell them have seen the Ad campaigns. They're not pushing white T5 fwd strippers in the ads. The lot is, meanwhile, full of them. (our XC60 is white, as they could not find a red one within 700 miles and we didn't want to pay $1500 to have one brought in)

Tech is more important to young people, but price is important to used car buyers. Most tech features do not bring a lot at resale relative to their original price. I have come to enjoy several features on our car that I didn't care about at purchase time (the PCC ) but if I was buying one used at it was thousands less I would buy the less equipped model if the price was $3,000 less. That's a pretty good pay rate for the time required to remove a key from your pocket and put it in the slot.

Thoughts on why you picked the nubuck "textile" vs. all leather seats? I have never seen them in person, but on paper it doesn't sound as nice...

Edit: went back and found your post on real vs. fake Nubuck. At the time you were regretful... now that you've had it for a week, whaddya think?
      lol.... for mine, I won out on the color (barely), but the wife put her foot down against the nubtexs...

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      lol.... for mine, I won out on the color (barely), but the wife put her foot down against the nubtexs...
      I was under the impression you can not get the 2015 T6/V6 AWD R-Design with anything except black seating/interior either in full leather or nubtex?
      Can I spec it in barley, or that nice volvo brown color two-tone also?

I was not able to beat that 5.49s last night. Someone said something to me last night about the turbo being tight for the first 2,500 miles and that it should pull even harder after that, so this is worthy of consideration.

I had seen them in person at the NY Auto Show and then again in the dealer show room. They provide great traction to keep you in place, and I honestly don't regret having them at all. I was more offended by Volvo's pretending they were real enough to call it Nubuck. At the end of the day, it's as good to me as Alcantara, which I would prefer to real Nubuck because it is more resilient... but we'll see if it's as spill/dirt worthy as Alcantara eventually...

I also feel this looks much less boring than the leather interior. I'm VERY happy with the way it looks in the Electric Silver car.

Great thread.. My first post at Swedespeed.

I'm days away from pulling the trigger on almost exactly the same configuration, although I'm on the fence re: the platinum trim. My last 2 cars (Hondas) have had in-dash Nav and I swore never again. The quality of those systems were generations behind my iPhone or a Garmin you can get on Amazon for a tenth the cost, and they had the nerve to charge $100+ for map updates.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the technology package... I will almost certainly get that package, but it seems impossible to find a dealer that stocks any car with it. The salesman actually told me that their target demo is 70 year old ladies who are afraid of technology. Great job selling the brand, dude...
      I went with portable nav myself. Easier to update, easier to d/l (save data), easier to add my own points, works in a rental car, had Euro & US maps, and talked to the OBD reader.

If you're going to order, consider going OSD.

You didn't mention which dealer. I'm also in the Philly area.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

I would actually like to change my answer about the rear sway bar. Yes, it needs more bar. A good lateral shift (fast double-lane switch, aka "The Jersey Slide") will upset the rear considerably. Still easily controllable / passes the 80mph moose / accident avoidance test.
      You haven't had to avoid many Moose in NJ recently have you?

I imagine it'll pass the whitetail deer avoidance test!
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

I was not able to beat that 5.49s last night. Someone said something to me last night about the turbo being tight for the first 2,500 miles and that it should pull even harder after that, so this is worthy of consideration.
      Indeed. Every T6 I have driven, in the past 3 years, loosened up significantly after I passed the 2,000 or 2,500-mile mark.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription, Crystal White w/ Charcoal Nappa Leather Convenience, Vision, Volvo Trailer Hitch, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by yidal8 View Post
      I was under the impression you can not get the 2015 T6/V6 AWD R-Design with anything except black seating/interior either in full leather or nubtex?
      Can I spec it in barley, or that nice volvo brown color two-tone also?
      Hi, was referring to color of the exterior. Yes, for the RD interior, "you can have any color you want as long as it's black".

Quote Originally Posted by dhorvath View Post
      You haven't had to avoid many Moose in NJ recently have you?

I imagine it'll pass the whitetail deer avoidance test!
      Except you aren't supposed to swerve around deer, as you're more likely to be injured or killed as the result of swerving than actually hitting the thing. =P

Except you aren't supposed to swerve around deer, as you're more likely to be injured or killed as the result of swerving than actually hitting the thing. =P
      In PA, they tell you to hit anything smaller than a deer; trying to avoid a deer still makes sense.

Of course, you need a car with good suspension!

My insurance company regularly has some sort of tagline about not swerving around deer on their envelopes.

I guess maybe it's a debated issue.

I know a few people who have flipped cars trying to avoid deer and have only heard stories through the grape vine of deer coming through the windshield, etc.

Great review Matt, I also have a fully loaded Crystal White Pearl V60 RD on order and should be ready for pick up this Wednesday, I can't wait to take it to the mountains.

I also ordered it with the fake nubuck, coming from a '12 T6 AWD with full black leather, the fake nubuck gave the seats some contrast and more of a racing/sports seat. I looked at it a different way, you can only order the fake nubuck with the RD, so it made it special :P I hope I won't regret this decision.

I haven't driven the old 12/13 RD before, but I noticed that the exhaust in the 14/15 is a bit different, does anyone know if they have a different system?
      In: 2015 Crystal White Pearl V60 R-Design Platinum with Nubtex Seats, BLIS Pkg, Climate Pkg & Tech Pkg
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/273169.png
      Sold: 2012 Caspian Blue S60 T6 with ABL, BLIS & Rear Camera.
      Sold: 2001 Topaz Blue BMW 325xi with Dinan Stage 1 Mods

I had seen them in person at the NY Auto Show and then again in the dealer show room. They provide great traction to keep you in place, and I honestly don't regret having them at all. I was more offended by Volvo's pretending they were real enough to call it Nubuck. At the end of the day, it's as good to me as Alcantara, which I would prefer to real Nubuck because it is more resilient... but we'll see if it's as spill/dirt worthy as Alcantara eventually...

I also feel this looks much less boring than the leather interior. I'm VERY happy with the way it looks in the Electric Silver car.
      x2 on the loosening up. my car got noticeably faster (i have a few post break-in videos out there--youve probably seen them)
      2014 S60 R-Design Platinum Passion Red / Heated Seats / 19" IxionII / KPAX Cat-Back / IPD Sway Bar / 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint / Curt Hitch / Escort Redline

Deer are for wusses. We hit moose:

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/my...it-a-moose.htm
      2012 Ice White S60 T6 AWD
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ

Quote Originally Posted by bluey83 View Post
      Great review Matt, I also have a fully loaded Crystal White Pearl V60 RD on order and should be ready for pick up this Wednesday, I can't wait to take it to the mountains.

I also ordered it with the fake nubuck, coming from a '12 T6 AWD with full black leather, the fake nubuck gave the seats some contrast and more of a racing/sports seat. I looked at it a different way, you can only order the fake nubuck with the RD, so it made it special :P I hope I won't regret this decision.

I haven't driven the old 12/13 RD before, but I noticed that the exhaust in the 14/15 is a bit different, does anyone know if they have a different system?
      Well congratulations on your order! I'm sure you'll love the car.

After a little more than a week in, I've found that this car really has multiple personalities. If I just drive around in Drive, the car is very tame and DSTC will nanny you like crazy. If you want to have fun, you can shift to Sport and put DSTC in Sport Mode and the car feels so much different... I'm very surprised by the variation in character with these two little changes. It would be nice if DSTC Sport was tied to engaging Sport Mode on the transmission.

Well congratulations on your order! I'm sure you'll love the car.

After a little more than a week in, I've found that this car really has multiple personalities. If I just drive around in Drive, the car is very tame and DSTC will nanny you like crazy. If you want to have fun, you can shift to Sport and put DSTC in Sport Mode and the car feels so much different... I'm very surprised by the variation in character with these two little changes. It would be nice if DSTC Sport was tied to engaging Sport Mode on the transmission.
      One of the things Volvo has done really well is leave all of these features somewhat independent. In many cars if you want the steering heavier, then the ride goes stiffer and DSTC will change. This means you can't configure it to exactly how you like. With everything being independent you can really configure it with the exact option mix you want.
      2012 Volvo S60 R-Design

Yes, but the menus make it a hassle to switch multiple things at once, too.

We'll see what the SPA platform has in store, I guess. Looks like everything will be in menus there.

Added a section called "Performance vs. Needs." TL;DR - I'm completely satisfied with the R-Designs performance and am happy to be leaving those Polestar cars to someone who will more adequately appreciate a true driver's car. The only thing I really would have loved about the Polestar is how unique it would be, and the R-Design is already pretty rare - at least for now, and especially the V60.

matt1122 - Do you have any pets? If you do, how does the nubtex handle dog hair? With my current full leather I just wipe, I'm now kind of worried about the hair sticking into the nubtex like any type of fabric seats.
      In: 2015 Crystal White Pearl V60 R-Design Platinum with Nubtex Seats, BLIS Pkg, Climate Pkg & Tech Pkg
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/273169.png
      Sold: 2012 Caspian Blue S60 T6 with ABL, BLIS & Rear Camera.
      Sold: 2001 Topaz Blue BMW 325xi with Dinan Stage 1 Mods

I have a dog and two cats. Some hair gets stuck in it, but it's not as bad as traditional textile (like our sofa) (so far).

This "acceleration tape" is cool - how are you creating it?
      2013 S60 R-Design, Passion Red. Modified with red "R" valve stem caps that probably add 20-25 HP.

1998 S70. 120k miles. GLT that needs some TLC.

There are apps for most smart phones with accelerometers.

There are apps for most smart phones with accelerometers.
      Nice, and your favorite of these please?
      2013 S60 R-Design, Passion Red. Modified with red "R" valve stem caps that probably add 20-25 HP.

1998 S70. 120k miles. GLT that needs some TLC.

On iPhone Dynolicious is the highest rated.

Matt, just wanted to let you know I really enjoy reading your posts while I make myself crazy waiting for my V60 RD. Keep them coming!

Not all of us like full leather.........which is why I went for the Alcantara on my S4.
      2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

Killed a Carrera S at a stop light this morning.

Element of Surprise: 1
      1,000 Pound Weight Advantage: 0

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast