matt1122's Long-Term V60 R-Design Review Thread - Page 9
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
      It's not routine maintenance, really, but routine maintenance is not everything. For example, there's no recommended interval for replacing O2 sensors but it can still improve performance to do so.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
      It's not routine maintenance, really, but routine maintenance is not everything. For example, there's no recommended interval for replacing O2 sensors but it can still improve performance to do so.
      Not just that, but another positive to replacing the 02 sensors as a maintenance item is they are less likely to get completely seized to the downpipe than they would if you let things go for 130k miles until they wear out...then when you really need to take them out, they may not be willing to come out. Old, frozen, crusty 02 sensors can be a total pita to remove.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune
      13.1 at 101 mph

Current mods: KW V3 coilovers, DO88 fmic, Ferrita downpipe, Powerflex "race" torque mount inserts, more to come...

Would turning on sport mode cause the rear brakes to last longer? My rotors are only lasting 1 year and very expensive to replace.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Turning on sport mode will likely cause the rear brakes to wear faster.

If you're talking about the transmission, you are probably going to have increased wear because of the increased throttle sensitivity and increased stability control activity.

If you're talking about stability control, you are probably going to have increased wear because of the enhanced corner traction control functionality.
      2017 V90 T6 AWD XC | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience B&W HUD 4C+Rear Air Suspension Polestar[Long-Term Review & Microblog Thread]
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design

Turning on sport mode will likely cause the rear brakes to wear faster.

If you're talking about the transmission, you are probably going to have increased wear because of the increased throttle sensitivity and increased stability control activity.

If you're talking about stability control, you are probably going to have increased wear because of the enhanced corner traction control functionality.
      I thought sport mode disabled traction control??

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck2020 View Post
      I thought sport mode disabled traction control??
      At least on the 15 V60RD that's a stand-alone option in the "My Car" menu.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Stability and traction control are not the same. Also, from the owner's manual:

Traction control (TC): This function is designed to help reduce wheel spin by transferring power from a drive wheel that begins to lose traction to the wheel on the opposite side of the vehicle (on the same axle). TC is most active at low speeds. This is one of DSTC's permanent functions and cannot be switched off.

Sport mode: The stability system is always activated and cannot be switched off. However, the driver can select Sport mode, which offers more active driving characteristics. In this mode, the engine management system monitors movement of the accelerator pedal and steering wheel for sportier driving
      by allowing more lateral movement of the rear wheels before DSTC is activated. Under certain circumstances, such as when driving with snow chains, or driving in deep snow or loose sand, it may be advisable to temporarily use Sport mode for maximum tractive force. If the driver releases pressure on the accelerator pedal, DSTC will also activate to help stabilize the vehicle.

Edit: On older models, you could disabled anti-spin control.

Some additional noises starting up. Some creaking from the waterfall. An as-of-yet undetermined clattering on the passenger side which I've heard on a few mornings and which comes and goes (mostly goes). I also think the rear driver's-side door speaker may be damaged/blown.

Some additional noises starting up. Some creaking from the waterfall.
      I actually just fixed this issue on my own last night. I had my shift knob replaced by the dealer a few months back and they must have removed the panels on the side of the center console. Since they only pulled the ones on the driver side and not the passenger side, the panels must not be factory tight feeling any more close to where the two side panels meet the bottom of the waterfall. Once you pop the panels off you'll notice there is a shiny black plastic piece at the base of the shifter assembly that rubs up against the flat grey plastic that the side panels snap into. In that concentrated spot it would creak with every imperfection in the road or with temperature changes. I first put some felt tape on the inside of door panels where they would meet, because there is a metal post that they lay on once snapped in. Finally, I took a piece of very thin rubbery foam pad (cut it to fit) and with a bone tool worked it between the two touching plastic pieces. Assembled the panels back in place and pushed on the area no creaking and when I drove this morning no issues either with creaking noises. There's a lot of plastic pieces rubbing up against each other in the center console.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black, Platinum/Tech/Climate/BLIS/19" Ixion II, KN Filter, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Swaybar {His}
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD - Osmium Grey/Off Black {Hers}
      FS Items: XC60 Cargo Cover
      SOLD:1994 940 Turbo/2004 S40 LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda3 i-touring/2012 S60RD/2013 S60 T5AWD

Thanks. I'll have to look at where my creak is exactly - it sounds like it's from behind the climate control fan. Hopefully I can use a similar strategy to shut mine up.

Thanks. I'll have to look at where my creak is exactly - it sounds like it's from behind the climate control fan. Hopefully I can use a similar strategy to shut mine up.
      Mine sounded like it was coming from behind the climate control as well, but it ended up being that area. I still can press around the buttons and get a creaking noise, but it doesn't do it while the car is in motion.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design - Passion Red/Off Black, Platinum/Tech/Climate/BLIS/19" Ixion II, KN Filter, IPD Catback Exhaust, IPD Rear Swaybar {His}
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD - Osmium Grey/Off Black {Hers}
      FS Items: XC60 Cargo Cover
      SOLD:1994 940 Turbo/2004 S40 LSE/2007 S60R/2010 Mazda3 i-touring/2012 S60RD/2013 S60 T5AWD

Just a quick update regarding the Premium Sound System in these cars.

I was listening to the 5.1 DVD of The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots again last night and today for the first time since shortly after I picked up this car. The artifacting that was present when listening to this album when the stereo system was new is now gone, and everything actually sounds a little better and more alive. I have never really been behind burning in a set of speakers or headphones, but I am 100% convinced that this system sounds better after all of the hours I've spent listening to music on it. I 100% recommend this system and hope the people with the newer Harmon Kardon branded system find that their systems also improve as the speaker cones are broken in.

Had my end of lease inspection today, performed by AutoVIN. The AutoVIN inspector was very pleasant and professional and was definitely not looking to nitpick. In his words, "Everything I see is normal, the car looks brand new still, I wouldn't worry." He noted my driver's side rear door was repainted, presumably before the car was delivered since I didn't know about it. This may explain the delays at port!

Had my end of lease inspection today, performed by AutoVIN. The AutoVIN inspector was very pleasant and professional and was definitely not looking to nitpick. In his words, "Everything I see is normal, the car looks brand new still, I wouldn't worry." He noted my driver's side rear door was repainted, presumably before the car was delivered since I didn't know about it. This may explain the delays at port!
      Crazy about the door huh? I know the hood and front bumper on our previous S60 RD was repainted at port. When I had the car detailed and sealed, the detailer showed me all the little paint imperfections, which became obvious when comparing the surfaces to the rest of the car (also side-by-side to my V60). Some of the bumper gaps were off also. We wondered how much damage had to be repaired beneath the surface? Of course my dealer had no knowledge or record of this work. One of the reasons we didn't hesitate to trade it in early. I think it is unethical for a manufacturer to sell a car as new after it has been repaired and repainted outside the factory. They should at least be transparent about the work done to a prospective buyer.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

Yeah. I'm even going to have the V90 inspected before I buy it out just to find out if anything like this went on with it.

Yeah. I'm even going to have the V90 inspected before I buy it out just to find out if anything like this went on with it.
      Probably wise. Check for shipping blocks also.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current: '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD Ocean Race Plat
      Prior: '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9