SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Hi! New member and V60 owner...

48K views 158 replies 40 participants last post by  Bmo Pete 
#1 ·
Hi All! Long time multiple Audi guy here, but after my '06 A4 Avant's engine died (sludge) last week, it was time for a new sport wagon. Unfortunately Audi gave up on wagons, and me, in the US (not counting the over-priced and under-powered A4 Allroad), so I thought I'd scratch an itch I've had for awhile and grab a Volvo sport wagon! I may still name my first born boy after Tom Kristensen however :eek: In full disclosure, I've always lusted over the ur T5 V70R's (especially saffron) and the later mid-2000's version (especially in sonic blue). Almost pulled the trigger on various second hand one's for sale, but they always seemed to have a billion miles on them and maimed front air dams!

New chapter..

I just nabbed a very sweet '15 V60 T6 R-design platinum in rebel blue and I'm really quite thrilled with it! Btw, noticed some funny snobbery on the "old" R forum around the R vs R-design comparison. Reminds me a lot of the Audi "S" kids on Audi forums looking down upon the non-"S" peasant class with contempt...lol. I promise not to ever be so elitist here! To me, it's Euro sport wagons (sex wagons) and then the rest of you...haha! Just kidding ;)

I'll post some pics soon!

Ciao!

See less See more
#3 ·
Awesome car!

#7 ·
Congrats and welcome. The car looks fantastic!

It's also nice to see others come over from the German makes as Volvo figures out that there is a real market for those who value the performance but can't stand the poor reliability of Benzes, BMWs, Audis. Personally, I literally gave away my C32 AMG rather than deal with yet another major repair that may or may not have held up.

#10 ·
How did it die from engine sludge?
When oil turns to sludge it can no longer lubricate the engine properly so either the engine seized or worn out prematurely. The oil sludged due to infrequent oil changes. VW's 1.8T was a sludger. The problem was not enough oil in the sump to support the recommend change interval, IIRC 4 quarts. VW's solution was to recommend synthetic oil only on 5k miles change intervals and changed to a larger oil filter size which allowed for more available oil.

#14 ·
New shoes! 19" Bor wheels! Rest assured mates, barely any increased ride harshness compared to the 18's (only 30 miles mixed road surface driving so far though)! VERY HAPPY!! :D

#18 ·
New shoes! 19" Bor wheels! Rest assured mates, barely any increased ride harshness compared to the 18's (only 30 miles mixed road surface driving so far though)! VERY HAPPY!! :D
Beautiful! Congrats!

#15 ·
They look great! Did you keep the 18"s or work out a deal with the dealer?

#16 ·
Thanks! Just basically did an option upgrade (+$750 with exchange). Perhaps the only RD on the Bor's in N. America? ;-)

#19 ·
Thanks! How's that xc rd treating ya? The wife has caught the fever and is dreaming about savile gray xc60 rd's now. Is it livable for daily SUV use? Wondering about the polestar suspension on 20" wheels?

#21 ·
Polestar suspension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol...check that, the R-Design suspension. The Polestar suspension will come with the S60 and V60 Polestars later this year ;)

#23 ·
Thanks Man! When I saw them on a power blue V60 T5 at the auto show, I thought they were the best looking Volvo wheels. The 19" axiom II's aren't bad, though maybe too much open space between the spokes, enhanced by the black painted area, visually leaving 5 skinny spokes...not as good a look (without maybe some painted Brembos beneath). Oh and the Bors are a 1 lb lighter than the axiom II.

http://http://accessories.volvocars.com/AccessoriesWeb/Accessories.mvc/en-US/US/S60(11-)/2013/T5%20AWD/Automatic/L.H.D/List/styling/wheel

#24 ·
Ixion =P And I agree, the BOR's look much better.

#25 ·
Lol...and I was looking right at the list of wheels...dol! Ax sounds better than Ix though...��

#26 ·
Axiom wouldn't fit Volvo's naming scheme, however. =P

#32 ·
Your wagon looks great, hopefully I’ll see you around (Baltimoreish area as well). I don’t expect I’ll be in the market until later this year or next year but I will be looking at V60 R-designs. The Polestar V60’s will be too hard to find and be at a price premium. Hopefully there will be some tuning options in the years to come for the T6.

I came from an STI hatch originally and will want to go back to something with more utility I’d expect. I also want to compare the V60 to the 328xi wagon with a BMS tune.

If you see a guy in a white m3 convertible staring at you it’s probably me :)

#33 ·
Your wagon looks great, hopefully I'll see you around (Baltimoreish area as well). I don't expect I'll be in the market until later this year or next year but I will be looking at V60 R-designs. The Polestar V60's will be too hard to find and be at a price premium. Hopefully there will be some tuning options in the years to come for the T6.

I came from an STI hatch originally and will want to go back to something with more utility I'd expect. I also want to compare the V60 to the 328xi wagon with a BMS tune.

If you see a guy in a white m3 convertible staring at you it's probably me :)
Thanks, and will keep an eye out for ya! I did the bimmer compare, and by the time I got it optioned even close to the Volvo, it was already at mid-$50's+. That's without tuning the engine.

When you're closer to buying, give Bill Kidd's dealership a shot, Paul and Wayne really took care of me! Tell them Rebel Pete sent ya! ;)

#39 ·
Congrats on a sweet RD! :)
Us P2 R guys just pick on RD's because we wanted Volvo to offer a manual, and a few other little touches. Truth is that we really love the new ones, and I personally want one badly!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

#40 ·
Congrats on a sweet RD! :)
Us P2 R guys just pick on RD's because we wanted Volvo to offer a manual, and a few other little touches. Truth is that we really love the new ones, and I personally want one badly!

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
A manual would have been awesome. I still want a V60, but if there was a manual option, I wouldn't have doubts about saying goodbye to my Spec.B

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#51 ·
If it's the same as the S60, they go almost all the way down, leaving about 1".

#52 ·
Spare tire installed! Just enough room after removing the tray.

Snug as a bug..

And not infringing on the beast's room above (with seats down of course)! :eek:

#99 ·
Do you happen to have the P/N for the spare tire kit? Did it come with a different rear floor board?

#54 ·
Looks good. Thinking about what I'm keeping in my tray (umbrellas, manual, tire pressure gauge, snow scrapers) I may go this route.

#55 ·
Thanks! I keep a lot of that stuff (including jumper cables) in a backpack, which fits fine under there (see mine in the left corner).

I just envisioned too many situations where a tire inflation kit just wouldn't suffice. If the tire ruptures from a pothole or otherwise won't hold air for example.

#56 ·
Good idea with the backpack. I'll have to see if I can find anything around the house that would fit nicely in those spots.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.