Antherzoll's 05XC70 Build Thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Antherzoll's 05XC70 Build Thread

Hey Guys

Upgrades to Date:
      - TD04HL-16T w/11 blade GTX compressor wheel, 11 blade turbine, 7cm^2 turbine housing, 0.3 BAR Wastegate Actuator
      - Hilton Tuning Stage 3
      - Do88 Intercooler
      - RaceS60R Catted 3" DP
      - Eurosport Tuning Touring Exhaust.
      - AEM Progressive WMI System
      - IPD Turbo Inlet Hose
      - IPD Charge Air Pipe
      - IPD Throttle Inlet Tube
      - IPD Sway Bars
      - IPD Subframe Inserts
      - GFB Diverter Valve
      - Snabb Throttle Body and Manifold Spacer
      - R airbox w/MAF
      - 12" Stoptech Slotted rotors w/Hawk HPS pads.
      - Hayden Transmission Cooler w/ Thermostat
      - Custom dual gauge mount w/ IPD Boost & Innovate AFR.
      - IPD Skid plate
      - 235/55R17 BFGoodrich g-force comp-2 AS on Thors (Summer)
      - 235/65R17 Kumho Road Venture AT51 on Neptunes (Winter/Trail)

volvoxc.com thread
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 01-20-2017 at 12:16 AM.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think this is next on my list with an ARD tune!
      2005 XC70
      -Pioneer Avic F700 - 12 inch Alpine Type R Sub - IPD Blue Silcone Hoses - OBX Catback - Custom Window Tint - Custom Mesh Grille

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      - ARD Green Stickers (adds 10hp )

+1
      04 V70 2.5T AWD - AUTOTECH | SNABB | OBX | MAGNAFLOW | SNABB | BILSTEIN | EIBACH

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Update: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...d=1#post172664

Finally had a chance to get around to installing all the part. Well most of the parts, the catback exhaust is back ordered and will have to wait for later, but no biggie. Overall the install wasn't too hard, just took a lot of time and labour as it was my first time getting this deep into my XC, but all is in and nothing leaks.

Here is my process:

- Disconnected the battery.

- Strut Brace: 4x 13mm bolt on the strut towers and one 18mm nut and bolt for the motor mount. There is one clip on the passenger side for a wire harness

- Air Box: Removed all the part being supported to the air box. Disconnected the MAF and the intake pipe. Slide to the left and pull up.

- Intake Air Pipe: Previously installed IPD intake pipe. Disconnect the pipe for the turbo housing. Pull back and turn CW to gain access to the 2 vacuum hoses and the PTC. Disconnect the the electrical connector for the PTC which has the Jesus clip on it. Disconnect the hose from the PTC and the 2 other hoses on the pipe

- Charge Air Pipe: Previously installed IPD Charge Air Pipe. Disconnect the pipe clamp and fold out of the way

- Turbo Heat Shield: 3x 10mm Bolts. Push the heat shield down into the space beside the downpipe the work it out.

- Front O2 Sensor: Right under the area where the intake pipe was the is the connector for the front O2 sensor. The connector sits on a brace and is mounted with nylon retainers which can be pulled out. The connector has a white tab lock that lifts up to pull it apart. Route the wire back to space where the from O2 is located.

Turbo/ Downpipe From Top of Car:
      - 3x 10mm Downpipe bolt. *Could also work the 2 lower bolt from underneath if access is too tight.
      - 2x 13mm Turbo to manifold nuts
      - 2x Vacuum lines from the turbo. one on the housing and one on the wastegate *MARK THESE
      - 1x 17mm Oil Supply Banjo Bolt from the top of the turbo

- Loosen the coolant reservoir cap and the engine oil cap then lift the car.

- Drain the coolant: Either through the lower rad hose, block drain, or the radiator petcock

- Drain the Oil: Not a must, but I was due for a change anyway

- Downpipe Turbo Bottom of Car:
      Disconnect the downpipe from the exhaust
      Remove the retaining bracket: 4x 13mm Bolts. Bracket retains the heat shield and some wiring.
      Disconnect the rear O2 sensor: the connector is located by the retaining bracket. It has a red lock tab the you can wedge a flat head under to undo the connection.
      Remove the rubber hangers and the pipe will come free.

Now for the fun part. You will become real familiar with your angle gear as it will get in the way of everything you do here.

- Disconnect the Oil/Coolant pipe retaining bracket: Don't remember what size, but it was a tork head, and sits right behind the angle gear. It only hold the two pipes together and nothing else.
      - Remove the 2x 17mm coolant Banjo bolts: Fairly east as they are facing straight back.
      - Disconnect the oil return line: This one is a bit tricky. Used a 3/8" swivel ratchet connection with T30 tork on the end of a 18" extension. Used one hand to guide the bit, the other to work the wrench. Once the bolts are out, wiggle the other end out of the block and retrieve the O-ring from the block.
      - Disconnect the oil supply line: Not sure if you have to, but for the sake of not damaging it I removed it. On the passenger side of the block there is a 19mm banjo bolt on the other side of the line.
      - Remove the 2 lower manifold nuts: 2x 13mm nuts. the one on the passenger side was easier as there was good access. the other is kind of wedged between the angle gear and the transmission. Took me a bit of fussing but I got it out eventually. A 13mm stubby box-end wrench was key to my success.

By now everything was loose and apart. I was able to remove the turbo from the space between the block and the passenger side drive-shaft from under the car. The new turbo fit into this space as well without a hassle.

Pretty much install is the reverse of removal. I didn't use any torque specs, just my gut feeling to reassemble everything. The turbo came with a CBV block-off, the diverter valve I had ordered was a snap to put in with the bosses on the IPD pipes. After the oil and coolant was topped off, I pulled Fuse #11 from the engine compartment fuse box to disable the ignition coils, cranked the engine over a few time, put the fuse back, started it up and let it run for 15min before driving. Nothing has leaked so far and I have had it hot and cold several time. I haven't gone into boost territory yet, but i will post up some data later on once the break-in is done, but what I can say is that I already hear a major difference in the sound of the turbo spooling compared to stock.

Although the hardware kit I received had gaskets and hardware to piece everything back together. It did not include new washers for the 19mm banjo bolt and new manifold to turbo nuts and studs. I had to go to my local dealer to pick up those extra parts and it came out to $40 for 2 manifold studs, 2 manifold nuts and 2 19mm copper washers. You need the manifold bolts as you will most likely not be able to retrieve the ones from your old exhaust housing,

The tough parts of the job for me were:
      - Removing the Oil Return line from the turbo
      - Removing the lower diver side turbo to manifold nut
      - Removing the rear O2 sensor from the old cat
      - Reinstalling the Intake pipe to the compressor housing. A little vaseline would help here. I didn't realize it, but the intake on the new turbo is larger then the old turbo (NO S**T). Had a good time with that.

During the install I also replaced my front O2 sensor with a new bosch, a new MAF, and new plugs with the HD coils, and replaced my K&N for a OE filter for good measure. The car actually idles a ton better, nice and smooth with very little vibration. Not sure what did it, either it's because my engine is breathing easier, or my sensors were shot, or a combination of both, everything on my engine checked out before the install, and i don't think it's the tune as i was running the stage 2 tune with my previous setup for a week before this install with the same vibration. I'm very happy with this result as I became accustomed to the XC vibrating a bit at idle.

For pics check the link.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 03-27-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Haven't had much time to play around with my upgrades because of work and family life, until this past weekend, just fell like I should update. I took the XC for a drive up to Barrie (approx. 100km from Toronto) and was able to get a feel of what this vehicle can do. It feels like a completly different car, both low end and top end are greatly improved. I'll take some logs and get some numbers on a bit later when I get the catback on, but I just want to say this upgrade gets my

Such a sweet post/ thanks for the pics. I'm getting excited to do this on my car!
      2005 XC70
      -Pioneer Avic F700 - 12 inch Alpine Type R Sub - IPD Blue Silcone Hoses - OBX Catback - Custom Window Tint - Custom Mesh Grille

Hello all

So I've been having some fun with Torque Pro and I've been able to get some rough numbers of what gains were made with these upgrades.

I've logged an average of:
      Power: 224.3WHP @ 4357‎ rpm
      Torque: 254.6Wft/lb @4357 rpm
      MAF: 235.3g/s.

If I can work the math backwards.
      Power from MAF using: MAF(g/s) / 0.8 =
      BHP = 294.1BHP

Using 25% drivetrain loss

224.2WHP @.25 loss = 298.9BHP
      254.6Wft/lb @.25 loss = 339.4ft/lb

These are not solid numbers, they can vary, but i feel it's a good enough ballpark to state for now and people like to hear numbers. I'd would like to take the information and graph the HP and Torque, but due to the low update rate of my GPS of 1Hz, the information is a bit scattered so it doesn't make for a good graph, I'll try to get out to the dyno one day for that.

Also, the log files are missing, but i did do a comparison between a K&N panel filter and a Volvo filter and my numbers had shown no difference in MAF reading throughout the RPM range. So wanting my car to be a bit more obnoxious I installed one of these...

http://www.aemintakes.com/search/pro...Prod=21-2038BF

http://autohifidiszkont.hu/bmw-tunin...szuroteszt.pdf

Didn't have time to DIY a heat shield, so I bought the one from EST then purchased a 8" AEM Brute Force dry flow filter. As for sound, it isn't obnoxious at all if you like hearing your turbo. Also i can hear my diverter valve on throttle lift, not too loud, just enough to hear a slight pssst.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 07-21-2015 at 12:45 AM.

So It's been a while since Ive updated this thread so I thought maybe would now would be a good time to give one.

The car was put on a dyno back in September and the numbers were a bit short of my predictions, mostly due to me running in a high ambient quite stupid of me, but when i had booked the appointment the average temps were ~15*C, didn't know a heat wave was coming. Been meaning to do another run, but I've never got around to doing so.

I've also been troubleshooting a intermittent over boost issue ever since getting the upgrades and tune from ARD. Initially found out that the turbo supplied from ARD had a wastegate actuator that is to strong for my setup, was in contact with another owner of a ARD tuned LPT and he stated the same issue. Contacted ARD multiple times, submitted logs, and tried all of the suggested fixes including software to no avail. I'm currently running a weaker wastegate actuator at base setting and it has reduced the occurrence of tripping over boost, but it is not allowing the turbo to create max target boost and spool is slower. Through my e-mails with ARD I found the the customer service was quite the opposite from what I was led to expect from ARD, most of my questions were unanswered, took over 48h to receive responses, and responses were often vague leading me to search for answers elsewhere, maybe I'm not a big fish in ARD's eyes. Even if ARD can solve my issue, which I'm almost confident that they cannot, I've lost interest in dealing with them. The tune does runs great when the overboost issue isn't being tripped so I'm still enjoying my ride, but I'm currently searching for another tuner that will be more engaged and will offer better support, currently looking at JZW or Hilton Tuning.

Anyways

I've posted this here, but will repost.

Upgraded my front rotors from 11" to 12" slotted and they feel great. Rotors are from Stop Tech and the pad are Hawk HPS semi-metallic.

Changed around the back of my XC

Yep a Fake-R

And currently waiting to install a set of IPD sway bars :cool

Alright

so i picked up, bushings 11,12(square),13,14, and 15 today and had them installed in a hour and a half( thanks to the XC's high ground clearance, I seriously thought that this would have taken me more time.

In the picture boxes for Part#611 and #613 are over the wrong bushing. In order of bushing they are 12,11,13,14, and 15

The install was quite easy the hardest part was removing the old bushing for #13 and #11, a little fire took care of that.

Ahhhh....roasty

Had to cut out the metal sleeve from the bushing on the strut bar with a file after it was burned out, the small transmission torque mount has no sleeve. The upper engine and the larger transmission torque mount were removed by using a hammer and flat head screw driver.

Once removed, all of the bushings went in quite easily with just hand pressure, no real forcing. I'm not a fan of the yellow brick that now resides on my upper engine mount, but i wasn't going to spend the time or money on a new round poly mount or used old and knock out the old bushing, maybe i can find a paint that would work on it. I haven't taken it for a ride yet, but I did let it idle in D while tightening all the bolts and there is more vibration for sure, sweet sweet vibrations. What i also noticed is that if I rock my car in P then engine has less of a tendency to rock as well, I'd like to see how this extra rigidity feels on the road.

Anyways More pics, cause people like pics

I took it out for a drive around town and I'm quite impressed with how the bushings feels. The only added vibration is from idle 650rpm to 800rpm on throttle, this vibration quickly dissipates after 800rpm and feels normal throughout the rest of the rpm range. It's not a major difference, but it's a pleasant one. Shifting between P-R-N-D has better engagement, shifting with the GT feels more solid both with upshifts and downshifts, and when applying throttle it feels more responsive. Can't wait to poly the rest of the bushings.

Update on my experiences with polyurethane engine mounts.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post2712009
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 10-29-2015 at 10:06 PM.

+1 for poly. E a specially those control arm ones.
      04 V70 2.5T AWD - AUTOTECH | SNABB | OBX | MAGNAFLOW | SNABB | BILSTEIN | EIBACH

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
      +1 for poly. E a specially those control arm ones.
      I'm considering those next, kind of on the fence.

Not sure if it's applicable to our vehicles, but does bring up some good points.
      http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspe...yurethane.html
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 12-19-2014 at 10:18 AM.

The control arm ones take that dead spot on the steering wheel away. Such crisp steering response.

Interesting article but a bit too theoretical. Real world experience with my bushings have been 95% positive (sway bar bushing gave out last year).
      Last edited by Beck; 12-20-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
      The control arm ones take that dead spot on the steering wheel away. Such crisp steering response.

Interesting article but a bit too theoretical. Real world experience with my bushings have been 95% positive (sway bar bushing gave out last year).
      Thanks, looks like a spring time project.

Here's a sound clip of the exhaust setup. Taken with my Sony DSC TX-20, hope the sound came out good enough.

EST Touring
      RaceS60R Catted DP

Last edited by Antherzoll; 12-20-2014 at 06:17 PM.

My XC Before I Bought It

Hilton Tune Loaded

So I've recently flashed the ECU with a Stage 3 Hilton Tune and all I can say for now is the engine starts , haven't had any time to take it out for a run yet and might be some time until I can...
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 01-21-2015 at 08:19 PM.

...when i had booked the appointment the average temps were ~15*C, didn't know a heat wave was coming.
      Nice car.

But, on what planet is 15C a heat wave? I don't even like to get out of bed when it's only 15C, and I'm not even really happy if it's under 30C
      Engineer, Cyclist, Pilot, Geek
      eric(dot)hidle(at)gmail
      2001 V70 X/C, 2005 XC90 T6, 2002 V70

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
      Nice car.

But, on what planet is 15C a heat wave? I don't even like to get out of bed when it's only 15C, and I'm not even really happy if it's under 30C
      I booked the appointment a few days in advance, the temps were averaging 15*C, but on the day of the run it was 34*C

I booked the appointment a few days in advance, the temps were averaging 15*C, but on the day of the run it was 34*C
      Now that is what I call nice weather!
      Engineer, Cyclist, Pilot, Geek
      eric(dot)hidle(at)gmail
      2001 V70 X/C, 2005 XC90 T6, 2002 V70

So I've recently flashed the ECU with a Stage 3 Hilton Tune and all I can say for now is the engine starts , haven't had any time to take it out for a run yet and might be some time until I can...
      What does the Hilton Stg3 tune involve?
      2002 V70 T5 .....looking for Gobi R seats (F), H&R Lowering Springs
      2003 BTA4Avant
      ..... Built Motor, Comp Turbo CT5147
      IG: avantneil

Requirements:
      Down Pipe, Cat-Back Exhaust, Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC), Larger Than Stock (Typically Hybrid) Turbo, Upgraded Injectors, Upgraded MAF
      Additional Requirements:
      Stock TCV or upgraded Pierburg valve. (Note: A MAC control valve or equivalent is not compatible with this product. If you are using one of these valves, ensure it is replaced with a Pierburg unit prior to tuning.)

Recommended:
      Methanol Injection
      http://hiltontuning.com/product/stage-3-tune/

My current setup consists of:
      TD04HL-16t w/7cm^2 ex. housing‎, 11 blade compressor & turbine wheels
      3" Downpipe w/high flow race cat.
      EST Catback
      Upgraded stock mount intercooler
      Blue Injectors
      IPD full line of intake and charge air piping
      Manifold & Throttle body spacers
      6"x8" Dry flow cone filter.

I haven't started data logging yet, so I may need more parts, but my current set up has most of the requirements except for the FMIC, mine is a upgraded stock mount intercooler. If I have problems with IATs (which I haven't so far), then I may sell this unit and go for the FMIC.

Also my "larger then stock" turbo isn't that much larger, it is a TD04HL-16T, there are other who have larger turbos on similar builds. If I want more some day I'll go for the 19T, or even 20T conversion. Gotta leave some room for upgrades
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 01-22-2015 at 04:13 PM.

http://hiltontuning.com/product/stage-3-tune/

My current setup consists of:
      TD04HL-16t w/7cm^2 ex. housing‎, 11 blade compressor & turbine wheels
      3" Downpipe w/high flow race cat.
      EST Catback
      Upgraded stock mount intercooler
      Blue Injectors
      IPD full line of intake and charge air piping
      Manifold & Throttle body spacers
      6"x8" Dry flow cone filter.

I haven't started data logging yet, so I may need more parts, but my current set up has most of the requirements except for the FMIC, mine is a upgraded stock mount intercooler. If I have problems with IATs (which I haven't so far), then I may sell this unit and go for the FMIC.

Also my "larger then stock" turbo isn't that much larger, it is a TD04HL-16T, there are other who have larger turbos on similar builds. If I want more some day I'll go for the 19T, or even 20T conversion. Gotta leave some room for upgrades
      NICE! I'm still trying to learn these Volvo Turbos and what is what and what is equal to what power ratio.
      16t? No clue. I don't even know what turbo is on my car 2002 V70T5. But its Autoi so I don't see me going nuts with Power adders. Possible a one up - upgraded turbo. TD04HL is a MHI turbo. I do have a MHI TD05H-20g siting in a box. I don't think my Auto V70 would handle that too well if I was to find a way to make it fit/work on the Volvo platform. I had it on my BTA4Avant.
      I'm going to look into the stg2 tune by Hilton.
      2003 BTA4Avant

Quote Originally Posted by A4Avant View Post
      NICE! I'm still trying to learn these Volvo Turbos and what is what and what is equal to what power ratio.
      16t? No clue. I don't even know what turbo is on my car 2002 V70T5. But its Autoi so I don't see me going nuts with Power adders. Possible a one up - upgraded turbo. TD04HL is a MHI turbo. I do have a MHI TD05H-20g siting in a box. I don't think my Auto V70 would handle that too well if I was to find a way to make it fit/work on the Volvo platform. I had it on my BTA4Avant.
      I'm going to look into the stg2 tune by Hilton.
      This may help

http://www.wothrline.com/Cars_engine...rbocharger.htm

I think your model came stock with the 16t, but I'm not sure.

IIRC dougy has a 20G on his S60R, could look up his build thread for more information on how he made it work. A 20G should be ok, it all boils down to the tuning.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 01-22-2015 at 04:45 PM.

This may help

IIRC dougy has a 20G on his S60R, could look up his build thread for more information on how he made it work. A 20G should be ok, it all boils down to the tuning.
      that helped a lot. I don't see a turbo upgrade soon but def consider it. I will be doing mostly hwy driving so with ^that book marked and read, seems an 18t might be a good fit on the Auto with all supporting mods.
      I will be turning over the Audi to the wife she will be driving a big turbo'd monster to work for now. My car is too hard to driving in NYC traffic with a stg4 OFE SS clutch.
      2003 BTA4Avant

This may help

just an FYI Antheroll...20g is a nice upgrade, just know that the WG flapper and the hole is waaay too small and it is impossible to bore out so you don't have a boost creep, now on the one that i have "Super Hahns 20g" it just happened to creep to 20psi at redline which is about what I need to boost so it works out...but it is not right...only way to fix this creep issue is put on a nice external 38mm Waste-gate by drilling a hole on top through the exhaust housing...Rob at Hilton tuning discovered it and was able to tune nicely to the boost creep and the only reason why it worked out is my target boost of 22 psi is not lower than my 20 psi boost creep...

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...porting/page-3

Quote Originally Posted by dougy View Post
      Rob at Hilton tuning discovered it and was able to tune nicely to the boost creep and the only reason why it worked out is my target boost of 22 psi is not lower than my 20 psi boost creep...

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...porting/page-3
      Missed out on that thread... So I guess my original statement is true, it all boils down to the tuning .

Is the next dougy mod a external WG, or keeping it the way it is being that the creep is acceptable? I always find your threads/posts a great read!

Missed out on that thread... So I guess my original statement is true, it all boils down to the tuning .

Is the next dougy mod a external WG, or keeping it the way it is being that the creep is acceptable? I always find your threads/posts a great read!
      thanks brotha....to me it is and initially I was , but since the creep is not more than the target boost I just said F-it since in the end power still would be the same , but really you should have control of your boost...for what it is, a simple cheap 600$ 20g turbo my R is a monster with it on considering it's running on stock motor and trans.

and yes Hilton did a phenomenal job tuning it!

So I thought I'd post up some early experiences with the current Hilton Tune. I've not gone for any power runs as I'm waiting on a fresh fill with 94, but it does run well so far. Also with the tune the idle limit has been bumped up to 750-800rpm which feels more stable and less vibration with the poly mounts.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 01-23-2015 at 02:37 PM.

so this 20g I have sitting in a box should work? Just would need to find the right exhaust housing for the Volvo manifold. It was set up for the t25 flanged audi manifold.
      2003 BTA4Avant

Anything is possible, but first I'd contact a tuner to see if they can tune that turbo with your setup, but I don't see the 20G posing a problem other then the one dougy has stated.

Also I've posted some information on you question thread pertaining to you motor and possible other sites you can mine for information. Good luck with modifying your Volvo and keep us posted on your progress.

Anything is possible, but first I'd contact a tuner to see if they can tune that turbo with your setup, but I don't see the 20G posing a problem other then the one dougy has stated.

Also I've posted some information on you question thread pertaining to you motor and possible other sites you can mine for information. Good luck with modifying your Volvo and keep us posted on your progress.
      thanks I was just posting on my thread! LOL

his 20g setup is NICE! More work than I'm willing to do right now. But was a good read, and he did some awesome work.
      Looking for bolt and go type mods for now. The Audi is PLENTY fast with its built motor and the big Comp Tubo on it.
      2003 BTA4Avant

Yay...

So I've got my car at my trusty Volvo indie to get:
      - The steering rack replaced along with the lower steering U-joint (the U-joint is more of a why not)
      - Front and rear control arm bushing replaced
      - Spring seats replaced
      - IPD Sway bars installed along with IPD end links

It's unfortunate that my steering rack needs to be replaced, it's the last thing I thought would go on this vehicle so soon. I wasn't leaking, the bushing on the PS side of the rack had worn and was causing a vibration.

Normally I'd like to take a job like this on myself, but I cannot do this on jack stands at this time of year, and my mechanic friend with a hoist is swamped so I can't book the time with him.

Angle gear is fine, oil had migrated from another location from the previous oil change.

Oh well, at least while the subframe is down it's a great time to get the swaybars installed. Everything else looks in great shape, and the shocks are still working properly, so hopefully this is the last service I need to do that is suspension/steering related for some time.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 01-30-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Yay...

It's unfortunate that my steering rack needs to be replaced, it's the last thing I thought would go on this vehicle so soon. I wasn't leaking, the bushing on the PS side of the rack had worn due to a tear in the boot that was letting in dirt and water. It started off as a slight knocking, then turned into a vibration. Can't believe I missed that...

Normally I'd like to take a job like this on myself, but I cannot do this on jack stands at this time of year, and my mechanic friend with a hoist is swamped so I can't book the time with him.
      Seems like the steering rack is one of the first things to fail on high mileage XC70s. I had to replace mine on the 2001 when I had it. My dad's 04 needed a new one at 105K as well. Half the XC70s I looked at when I was car shopping last year had steering issues (although it's possible it was other things causing it too).

2003 BTA4Avant

Quote Originally Posted by A4Avant View Post
      Yes I do!!!

Got the car back tonight and drove it around a bit. Wasn't able to get a real feel for the sway bars due to the slick roads (which was a lot of fun getting the tail out ), but it there is definitely less body roll and tighter steering, love to see how these handle on dry pavement.

The steering rack was it!!! The knocking and vibrating i've been chasing around for some time has been eliminated, WOW! The new steering rack feels great, nice and tight, and with the addition of the sway bars very responsive.

I've got to say thanks to Wayne at KWL automotive for doing an awesome job getting the job done right and on time! He said that this is the first time he has installed IPD swaybars and commented on the fact that the rear was a real pain, the front was made easy because the rack was being replace st the same time but looked to be easier then the rear regardless. He said it took him a bit more time then what was quoted on the IPD paper work and didn't charge me for it, but if he had to do it agian he knows his way around and can do it faster.

Anyways, I still haven't had the time to get my Hilton Tune dialed-in, work/life thing. Will update on more on the tune and on the swaybars once I get more time...
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 01-31-2015 at 01:04 AM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast