Antherzoll's 05XC70 Build Thread - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
      So had the sway bars installed and wow, what a difference! This is the most noticeable upgrade to the XC so far because you feel it in every turn. Knowing what I know now I should have installed IPD swaybars as the first upgrade to my XC, it doesn't handel like a yacht anymore and ride comfort is maintained. Lane changes, on ramps, and drifting in snow feels more connected. I highly recommend these to anyone considering an upgrade to their suspension.

IPD Swaybars... DO IT!
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 06-08-2016 at 10:18 PM.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      So had the sway bars installed and wow, what a difference! I'd have to say that this is the most noticeable upgrade to the XC so far because you feel it in every turn. Knowing what I know now I should have installed IPD swaybars when I bought my XC, it doesn't handel like a yacht anymore and the ride comfort is maintained. Lane changes, on ramps, and drifting in snow all feels more connected. I'd have to say I highly recommend these to anyone considering a upgrade to their suspension.

IPD Swaybars... DO IT!

that's a purchase I am working towards also. boy does the car feel like a boat. Some new springs, shock/struts and sways all at once! should feel like a new car
      2002 V70 T5 .....looking for Gobi R seats (F), H&R Lowering Springs
      2003 BTA4Avant
      ..... Built Motor, Comp Turbo CT5147
      IG: avantneil

I'm not a fan of the yellow brick that now resides on my upper engine mount, but i wasn't going to spend the time or money on a new round poly mount or used old and knock out the old bushing, maybe i can find a paint that would work on it. I haven't taken it for a ride yet, but I did let it idle in D while tightening all the bolts and there is more vibration for sure, sweet sweet vibrations.
      I also ordered upper engine mount from PowerFlex. How do you feel it after installation? In the winter I've started to feel small vibration (we've already talked about) from IPD transmission torque mount , my upper engine mount is quite new (changed 1.5 year ago).
      2007 S60 2.5T AWD |Deep Blue|BSR chip|BSR Sp.Flow|Mototec D.Pipe/sport cat|17" Enkei M52 Hyp.Black|Eibach Springs Pro|Bilstein B8+Sachs Advantage|F/R strut bar U.Racing|F/R IPD Sway bars|IPD HD F/R Links|TCV IPD|Snabb Int|Snabb charge pipes|K&N filter|IPD torque mount|Trans.oil cooler Hayden 514|StopTech Rotors+Carbotech AX6 pads|SS Brake TechnaFit
      https://picasaweb.google.com/1149193...oS6025TAWD2007

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

As the colder weather came on the vibration became more noticeable, but only at idle, on throttle the vibration dissipates and feels quite smooth.

As the colder weather came on the vibration became more noticeable, but only at idle, on throttle the vibration dissipates and feels quite smooth.
      yep , I feel exactly the same , it looks like with the colder weather the flexibility of polyurethane decreases a little bit.
      2007 S60 2.5T AWD |Deep Blue|BSR chip|BSR Sp.Flow|Mototec D.Pipe/sport cat|17" Enkei M52 Hyp.Black|Eibach Springs Pro|Bilstein B8+Sachs Advantage|F/R strut bar U.Racing|F/R IPD Sway bars|IPD HD F/R Links|TCV IPD|Snabb Int|Snabb charge pipes|K&N filter|IPD torque mount|Trans.oil cooler Hayden 514|StopTech Rotors+Carbotech AX6 pads|SS Brake TechnaFit
      https://picasaweb.google.com/1149193...oS6025TAWD2007

I've just finished a 5 week, 10.5k KM, cross county road trip with the XC and it had performed very well.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post2541130

With the trailer, luggage, and occupants, the XC was hauling around 2000lbs, fuel economy was averaging around 19-20mpg as calculate via the gas station method.

With the engine modification and Hilton Tune the XC had more than enough power to get up to speed from a stop, keep up with the 80mph speed limit in some states, and pull along the extended hill climbs though the mountains, plenty of time on boost and I'm not shy on the throttle. Hilton has done an awesome job tuning this vehicle, my engine is still running great, my transmission didn't quit, and my AG didn't explode.

There was a slight tune adjustment needed due to the additional load being placed onto the engine that didn't show with regular driving, low RPM high load hill climbs would cause overboost. I notified Hilton and he responded with revision almost instantly, [thumbup] for service. (of course, I didn't leave home without my VIDA/DiCE laptop so I was able to flash it on the fly ).

No hardware related issues other than I had a downpipe nut back off and caused a slight exhaust leak, and one of my new IPD HD swaybar endlinks developed a knocking with less than 5k miles on them, I'll be getting a refund on the endlinks.

Stupid me, when tightening down the downpipe nut I snapped the stud, but I was able to tighten the other two nuts and they are holding the flange on tight so no leaks. Now I need to extract it from the turbine housing and will be replacing with bolts instead.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 06-21-2015 at 09:06 PM.

If anyone is interested, here is the accumulated brake dust on my front drivers side wheel after this trip.

Using Hawk HPS Semi-metallic pads on 12" Slotted Stop Tech rotors. Didn't wash my vehicle once on the whole trip and rain was quite minimal. I did use engine braking in the big hills, which may have reduced the amount of dust. The brakes performed well on downhills and a few hard stops with the additional load. A bit noisy when wet, but dissipated once hot, otherwise they are very quiet.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 06-22-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Got bored today after a fresh set of plugs...

Last edited by Antherzoll; 06-24-2016 at 08:17 AM.

Nice sounding and looks quick.
      It also seems that your collar gear is not going to last very long if you keep driving it this way!
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak 108K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now near 141,000 miles and still near perfect!
      2000 S70 GLT SE 30,005 MILES, A time capsule! JUST SOLD.

We will have to wait and see

I'm generally not hard on it off the line and try to keep most of my spirited driving when at speed.

nice ! looks and sounds great man and i love how great and simple and clean the aftermarket exhaust single tip look is vs. dealing with dual R tip.

Quote Originally Posted by dougy View Post
      nice ! looks and sounds great man and i love how great and simple and clean the aftermarket exhaust single tip look is vs. dealing with dual R tip.
      Thanks man!

what exhaust again is that?

I spoke to EST and they will sell me a V70r (rear section) with a v70 front section as a kit. thinking of doing that to get rid of the OBX rear section. Or suck it up and fix the fitment and add a good DP
      2003 BTA4Avant

Quote Originally Posted by A4Avant View Post
      what exhaust again is that?

I spoke to EST and they will sell me a V70r (rear section) with a v70 front section as a kit. thinking of doing that to get rid of the OBX rear section. Or suck it up and fix the fitment and add a good DP

EST Touring for the XC70 w/ RaceS60R catted DP

Nice that's what I had though you had.
      2003 BTA4Avant

Love your XC! What did you think about the IPD subframe inserts?

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
      Love your XC! What did you think about the IPD subframe inserts?
      Depends on the application.

If you're using them to improve handling then I'd say money is better spent on other upgrades before purchasing the inserts like swaybars or lower profile tires. The inserts would compliment any other suspension mods.

If you're using them to restore weak/collapsed mounts, then I'd just replace the mounts.

There are also these if you want to make them solid :http://www.kaplhenke.com/products/aw...frame-bushings
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 08-17-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks for the feedback! I've got IPD sway bars and end links already. My V70 feels a bit disconnected and the subframe inserts seemed like an easy upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
      Thanks for the feedback! I've got IPD sway bars and end links already. My V70 feels a bit disconnected and the subframe inserts seemed like an easy upgrade
      Well give them a shot, post up if they make a difference. I had mine installed before the swaybars and I didn't feel any difference.

Quote Of The Day

I'm generally a cautious driver when my kids are in the car. As we are approaching the highway in traffic.

My son: "Volvo's can't go fast Da Da"
      Me: "Ha ha ha sure they can, I just drive slow"
      Son: "No, Volvo's no drive fast"

We are at the stop light before the highway on ramp.

Me: "Do you want the Volvo to go fast?"
      Son: "yeah"

Green light, give'r about 75-80% throttle (10-12psi), moderate to hard acceleration up to the speed limit.

Son: "No no no Da Da, Volvo's too fast"
      Me:

THAT's an awesome story! Same here... Super careful and docile around town and in urban conditions, but get me on the highway and I'm much faster. Mine has no mods of any kind, so I can't imagine what true mods would feel like, but mine is quick enough and with AWD is nice to launch in times of need. Last year my kids were caught off guard when we were at the beach and I took off, jumping ahead of a long line of traffic out of a stop sign. When they were little, I used to do the 'rocket ship' (which was essentially an 80% push to 60), and they loved it. Keep 'em small. They grow up and then want to drive Daddy's car (mine). I'm looking for a reliable townie for the kids over the next few months, but it can't be a beater in case I have to end up driving it.
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      I'm looking for a reliable townie for the kids over the next few months, but it can't be a beater in case I have to end up driving it.
      Honestly, I'd only consider a Toyota or a Volvo, that's it.

I'm generally a cautious driver when my kids are in the car. As we are approaching the highway in traffic.

My son: "Volvo's can't go fast Da Da"
      Me: "Ha ha ha sure they can, I just drive slow"
      Son: "No, Volvo's no drive fast"

We are at the stop light before the highway on ramp.

Me: "Do you want the Volvo to go fast?"
      Son: "yeah"

Green light, give'r about 75-80% throttle (10-12psi), moderate to hard acceleration up to the speed limit.

Son: "No no no Da Da, Volvo's too fast"
      Me:
      That'll teach him!

THORS GALORE!

$550 CAD for all eight. Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 235/45R17 with great tread which I can sell off for a fair price. Thinking I'll keep both sets, re-finish them and keep the worst one for winter rims, but I first have to burn though my current set or summer/winters.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 09-18-2015 at 10:59 AM.

OMG! You're killing me!!
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...n-set-of-Thors
      Want to talk?
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

LOL.

Last I checked there are two more set within 50km of my for ~$400. Come pay a visit to Toronto.

Damn! Sick. 2 sets is a lucky guy. Looking for a set of tellus 16s to powdercoat for my build. Lemme know if you come across anything...
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Sweet! Are those the original center caps? The Amaltheas on my V70 came with these but I prefer the ones you have!

Same hub caps on my 16"s Erinys, and yes better looking IMO.

Man I just lost one of my black center caps apparently! Bummed. I love them.

Antherzoll I've been meaning to tell you that there are not one but TWO crystal green XCs in the small riverfront town where I am currently fixing up a house for us to live. I'd actually not seen one in person prior to this and they look so good. It's weird because they look almost silver at first but then if you see them in the right light, the paint just shines so green. It's sick. Makes me a little jealous. But I think the black silver combo is better for the direction my build is headed, or at least that's what I tell myself :-)

Unfortunately the color is really difficult to capture accurately in photographs. But that just makes it more elusive/cool
      Last edited by Young Satchel; 09-19-2015 at 06:42 AM.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

Thanks.

Crystal Green is an interesting colour. On it's own you don't notice it, it more noticeable when side by side with a white or silver car, and I find it pops in the snow. I'll have to take more winter shots with a good camera.

My mom has a Willow Green XC and it's not a bad color. Willow replaced Crystal in MY06.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

So as I speed along into enthusiast territory, I'm starting to think--only ponder mind you--about the possibility of some light engine tuning. For now I'm plenty satisfied bolting **** onto my car to adventurify it, getting larger tires, Aux lights etc, but I know myself well enough to know that after a certain point, I'll be "done" with that, and will perhaps want to move on to real performance mods.

With that said, where does one begin with stuff like this? I've checked out your thread extensively, and looked into what EST offers, but beyond that I'm fairly clueless. I don't even really know enough about my own vehicle stock at this point, but I'm learning pretty fast. When I'm ready to take that next step into a "stage 1", where should I direct my energy?

I don't want to clog up your thread, so feel free to take this to PM if it seems irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Satchel View Post
      So as I speed along into enthusiast territory, I'm starting to think--only ponder mind you--about the possibility of some light engine tuning. For now I'm plenty satisfied bolting **** onto my car to adventurify it, getting larger tires, Aux lights etc, but I know myself well enough to know that after a certain point, I'll be "done" with that, and will perhaps want to move on to real performance mods.

With that said, where does one begin with stuff like this? I've checked out your thread extensively, and looked into what EST offers, but beyond that I'm fairly clueless. I don't even really know enough about my own vehicle stock at this point, but I'm learning pretty fast. When I'm ready to take that next step into a "stage 1", where should I direct my energy?

I don't want to clog up your thread, so feel free to take this to PM if it seems irrelevant.
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post2592937

Got bored today so performed a compression test.

167-161-167-163-166
      8-10 strokes per cylinder.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast