Antherzoll's 05XC70 Build Thread - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
      Got bored today so performed a compression test.

167-161-167-163-166
      8-10 strokes per cylinder.

Did you do it hot? That's still pretty great compression, must run like a charm?
      01 XC70
      Mods:B5254T2-R engine,Green Giants, 16t Turbo, NGK Plugs, Snabb Piping, Custom Treadstone Intercooler. JZW tune,OBX 3" Downpipe, Catless Flowmaster w/ side exits, monotone paint, R Brembos,BBS 19" wheels, and most importantly a spoiler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cs057 View Post
      Did you do it hot? That's still pretty great compression, must run like a charm?
      Besides my current AWD issue, it runs like a champ

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post2551058

I also did it cold.

155-145-155-150-135

#5 cold was a bit concerning, could have been a poor seal on the gauge, but the hot numbers are good. I don't trust the gauge's accuracy for true compression, but it's good to see that the numbers are quite even.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 10-05-2015 at 11:59 PM.
      2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | 110k mi

more boredom while cleaning up

Yep, also cleaned injectors today. All within spec with great spray pattern, not bad for 200k miles on them.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good old Bosch quality for you. Are you running blue injectors?

That's quite the bummer on the AWD, it's unfortunate Volvo didn't build things a little sturdier. On the bright side that's probably the least bad of problems you could have=)
      01 XC70
      Mods:B5254T2-R engine,Green Giants, 16t Turbo, NGK Plugs, Snabb Piping, Custom Treadstone Intercooler. JZW tune,OBX 3" Downpipe, Catless Flowmaster w/ side exits, monotone paint, R Brembos,BBS 19" wheels, and most importantly a spoiler

How'd you clean the injectors?

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
      How'd you clean the injectors?
      A shop local to me will check them and clean them for a decent price.

Good old Bosch quality for you. Are you running blue injectors?
      Yep. Bosch 0280155830

That's quite the bummer on the AWD, it's unfortunate Volvo didn't build things a little sturdier. On the bright side that's probably the least bad of problems you could have=)
      Not Volvo, but Haldex. Still pulls quite nicely without AWD in dry conditions

From Tonight

I've got junk in the trunk.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 10-07-2015 at 12:17 AM.

Damn, that makes me feel that my tune still has quite a ways to go. Your car's such a beast!
      01 XC70

Man....want exhaust want tune want want want.... :-)

#goals
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

So in the pull video- the light that flashes for a moment is the awd? I missed something. What happened to yours? That's wicked cool. You should be proud with those results. That thing kicks.
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

Thanks guy, would be much better with AWD and the car cleared out. (two kids seats unoccupied of course, tools, and so on)

That flashing light is traction control, (you can see that boost is puled slightly, should be 15-17psi), or else the wheels would have kept spinning once traction was broken.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 10-07-2015 at 09:14 AM.

A shop local to me will check them and clean them for a decent price.
      Cool. Out of curiosity, are you partial to a certain brand of gas? Shell 91 has been proven to be the best we can get here in the west. Nothing here can compare to 92 from the US though

Nope, I'll fill up at any of the big name stations that offer 93/94. Usually it's 94 Petro-Canada that I use because it's close to me, but If 94/93 is unavailable I'll go to shell for 91 + airmiles .

I have a few threads on various topics/issues:

17" Tire Options - Discussion on which tires I should fit onto my recently aquired set of ghetto thors.

DEM-0006, and intermittent AWD. Just in time for winter. - Issue with the AWD.

Hard Start - Residual Fuel Pressure Issue - Issue with leaking injectors. Had them cleaned recently and they started to leak a few days after. Already have a new set to go in.

Great...

Driving down the highway and a large stone flew up from nowhere and hit my windshield right close to th PS wiper blade in the black area. Instant spider crack spreading about 10"-12" from the impact site. Time to search for a replacement.

If you have a rain sensor get ready for a PITA.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa my 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap >π Miles
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

I actually think the rain sensor is quite useless so I don't really care if it works.

I very much like the rain sensor... I hate wiper blades, they annoy me more than I really know how to express. Rain sensors somehow make them a little less annoying!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm always finding that I have to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor because sometimes they don't go fast enough and other times too fast.

If I can find a windshield that compatible then that's a bonus. I'll see who offers gl from Pilkington local to me.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 10-22-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Yeah, I'm always finding that I have to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor because sometimes they don't go fast enough and other times too fast.

If I can find a windshield that compatible then that's a bonus. I'll see who offers gl from Pilkington local to me.
      Me too. **** that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ProlixArgon View Post
      I very much like the rain sensor... I hate wiper blades, they annoy me more than I really know how to express. Rain sensors somehow make them a little less annoying!

Also this. It's 2015, time for a better solution. Tiny high-powered vacuum vents surrounding the glass that immediately disperse water???
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD | 149K | Bad Swede 52mm Lift Kit | Sparco Terras BFG KO2s in 225/70r16 | IPD Strut Brace Conversion | IPD Skid Plate | IPD DEM Cover | AEM Dryflow Air Intake 2015 V60 R-Design | Sapphire Black Metallic | 44K | KPAX GT Performance Exhaust | IPD Rear Sway Bar | Powerflex Race Torque Mount Inserts

The post 04 rain sensor logic is so much better. Worked great in my Mom's XC70 until the windshield replacement made it break. Still haven't figured it out almost a year later. That being said the rain sensor in my R still works pretty well... And given the 04 RS equipped cars (and I think the 05-07 ones too it's been awhile so correct me if I'm wrong) have no intermittent wipes it's pretty useful... You have to put in a rain sensor windshield or the rain sensor is going to dangle... unless you remove it. I find rain-x makes it work better. No clue why.
      Exponents kill
      Link to thread: wafflesv70r on Instagram Unofficial R part catalog and maintenance interval spreadsheet.

Yeah Rain-X makes it works better because you don't need to use the wipers at all with a good coating. I use that stuff religiously.

Yeah Rain-X makes it works better because you don't need to use the wipers at all with a good coating. I use that stuff religiously.
      I use the rain-x wiper fluid & rain-x the windshield.
      Exponents kill

RS equipped 05 for me and it works well plus I have intermittent wipes.
      My initials - IPD - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      Now: 2007 vRgt, red & gobi - 2005 s60 2.5t AWD, silver & tan - 2002 xc70, silver & black
      Past: 1999 v70, tropic blue/green & oak and Mom started this in 1975 with a 1974 164e, maroon & maroon

When changing the windshield you may also have to change the rain sensor if you care about it working. The adhesive stuff doesn't always re-adhere to the windshield a second time. If you get a used glass, request the sensor to not be disturbed if possible.

Haha, this reminds me of a 09 Mercedes CL550 I nearly bought. I quoted insurance and the cost for the glass replacement portion was quite expensive. I looked it up and the car has a $2,000 windshield. I should look up the new S-coupe and see what that glass runs. I believe they actually have air vents in between laminated glass to allow the windshield to be "heated."

Volvo glass is creeping up there to. I put a windshield in a 2010 S80 with rain and city safety and that glass is over $800.

But I'm in a similar boat as you, though not as obviously. I probably need to a glass for my XC, as the previous owner got way too liberal with the ice scraper and scratched the glass. Most of the time it's not noticeable, but when the sun hits it just right, it's difficult to see.

$550CAD+Taxes from SpeedyGlass for OEM w/rain sensor.

Volvo wants $700 just for the windshield. Looks like I'll be going to Speedy.
      Last edited by Antherzoll; 10-23-2015 at 07:51 AM.

That's more pricey than I expected.

Yeah I know. Speedy is using Pilkington, at least that's what the sales rep told me. That price includes installation. I'll be glad to have a new windshield because mine was a bit scratched and chipped, but a new windshield before winter , hope it survives.

whatever it's worth, in the states the windshield is $400 and includes a rain sensor.

Yeah, I saw Tasca's price. I'm jealous of American pricing, that's about it.

Maybe I should take a drive down to Buffalo and find a shop to do it, get tires at the same time. Think the Customs Officer would notice .

Yeah, I saw Tasca's price. I'm jealous of American pricing, that's about it.

Maybe I should take a drive down to Buffalo and find a shop to do it, get tires at the same time. Think the Customs Officer would notice .
      You can get away with anything if you have a child with you

I have all my parts (for four Volvo's - WTH???) shipped to a US mail house as I am 1/2 hour from the Washington border and have a NEXUS pass which pretty much eliminates border waits. I am honest with my declarations as to value and am generally waived through with up to $250 (US$) in value of goods. I actually did purchase tires at a Costco as part of a US trip for a previous vehicle and only got asked about them when crossing 1.5 years later - go figure. A windshield install would be a pretty safe bet to NOT get queried. The current exchange rate is certainly playing havoc with my buying habits however.

It's growing...

So after a 1.5 years with the poly mounts I've change out the upper engine mount back to the stock square mount. Stated last year that the colder weather made the mounts less flexible an caused more vibrations, and this year I find that I'm less tolerant of it. The stock mount eliminated a lot of what I was feeling at idle.

I still have the poly transmission mount, strut mount inserts, and the small bushing on the stabilizer bar. The ride still feels very connected, but I've also thought about changing out the transmission mount back to stock, maybe just changing out the small bushing for poly.

So after a 1.5 years with the poly mounts I've change out the upper engine mount back to the stock square mount. Stated last year that the colder weather made the mounts less flexible an caused more vibrations, and this year I find that I'm less tolerant of it. The stock mount eliminated a lot of what I was feeling at idle.

I still have the poly transmission mount, strut mount inserts, and the small bushing on the stabilizer bar. The ride still feels very connected, but I've also thought about changing out the transmission mount back to stock, maybe just changing out the small bushing for poly.
      I rode in a friend of mine's S60 the other day and I thought the entire car was falling apart from the vibrations.
      I commented that it seemed someone should look at his engine mounts in the very near future.
      He responded, "yea, all my engine mounts were bad, so I switched them all out for poly mounts. Reviews said there would be increased vibration, but I thought to myself, 'how bad could it be?"

Well.... Poly mounts, they are the epic suck.

Honestly it wasn't that bad, only at idle and my tune has the idle RPM bumped to 750-800rpm which has made a world of difference, even with the stock mounts.

Mine were all from powerflex, unsure if other manufacturers are softer/harder.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast