SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Can i drive S60R with rear driveshaft removed?

7K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  R_for_Life 
#1 ·
Hey guys new volvo guy here. I just bought an 07 S60R a few weeks ago and i noticed a small vibration so i brought it back to the dealer (not a volvo dealer) to have it checked out under there 60 day warranty. First they balanced and straightened some wheels, when that didn't work they changed the front right drive shaft, and when that didn't work they took out the drive shaft going to the rear and sent it out to be rebuilt and it won't be back for 4-5 days. They told me it was safe to take home and drive it as front wheel. So my question is, is this true? Is it actually ok to drive without the center shaft?

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
What kind of vibration were you experiencing?

#10 ·
So it's 100% okay to remove the drive shaft.Hypothetically could I run different tires on the front without damaging anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AS other have stated indeed safe to drive with driveshaft removed.

In regard to different sized tires, OK as long as circumference remains close, otherwise ABS encoders will pick up rotational speed difference and not like it.

#11 ·
as everyone else has said, yes it is ok. Was it an issue with the exhaust bracket of death?

#12 ·
I had the same "shaking in the wheel" problem with my r. They had a difficult time figuring out what the shaking was. It turned out the axle was tweaked, this could be your problem too. They replaced it and now its good as new. And driving it is totally fine in the mean time.

#13 ·
I've been dealing with a highway vibration for a while, mostly 70mph+ even with brand new balanced wheels and tires. My next guess is axle, but they're so expensive for the MT cars....:eek:

What do you mean when you said your axle was "tweaked?" Bent?

#16 ·
If your AWD doesn't work, but is not causing any problems currently (no noise, vibration, or harshness) then I would say just leave everything in place. My AWD in my S60R went out (read: I broke it :p ) in 2006 at 30k miles -ish. I fixed it in 2011? 2012? at about 80k miles-ish. No issues; replaced the collar gear and presto-changeo, I had AWD again.

EDIT: Ignore me, I'm a dumbass. I'm leaving what I typed because it's good info, and plus people can point and laugh. For your situation, yeah, drive in FWD while they're fixing your driveshaft, no issue.

-Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.