SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2007 Clunking in the rear end

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  David A 
#1 ·
I've looked through the threads and can't seem to find the same issue (without it just being a loose spare tire solution or something lucky.)

My '07 R has 55,000 miles on it. Runs like a dream and the struts seem great (push on the rear, and it's immediately back up. Seems healthy to me.)

But when I go over speed bumps, or bigger bumps like that, I hear some clunking in the rear end. It's louder or more noticeable on sport, and worse in advanced. (If you were go over the bump in advanced.) So each setting, it's progressively louder more noticeable on bumps like that.

I've checked the trunk, I'm pretty sure it's not "something loose".

What bushing is this? Are there control arms in the rear? Factory sway bar bushing needs to be replaced? Or the whole bar? Can I inspect the bushings?

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
I notice something similar in my SR. Any time I go over a bump I hear a thud. It's not a loose spare and the rear shocks are good.

I thought it might be my battery not fully secured, but it seems tight.

I'm gonna have the dealership take a look when I take it in for my 75k service...unless someone else has an answer beforehand haha

#3 ·
It could be the endlinks... Typically the complaint of the clunk from the front end is the endlinks so, I would take look and see how the rear endlinks look.

#5 ·
How do you endlinks look?

#6 ·
The "thump" and or "thunk" is one or both rear struts going full hard, or "clenching" as some have described. It is especially annoying going slow over speed bumps. Your dealer will find nothing and charge you diagnostic fees. A SUM recal can help a little, but do make sure that your rear ride height sensors are attached properly as when mine broke half loose the thumping was HORRIBLE.

#10 ·
I would have to say No... its not natural. A friend of mine his development has the small thick yellow speed bumps. So I think this would be the ideal road to cause the "clunk or thud" you are hearing. I take the little fcukers slower then most people I see driving I would consider it...a little faster then a crawl and there is no clunk...Let me know if you think this situation would cause the sound your car is hearing...I think something is definitely worn out, we just gotta put are heads together to figure it out.

#11 ·
Happens with my '06 SR as well. Low speed over speed bumps and as the rear wheels roll off the bump there's this thud/thump from the rear - thought it was a loose spare wheel, etc in the trunk but nothing like that found. Happened with old Volvo 4C and now with Monroe 4C shocks. Been told rear suspension parts are fine.

#13 ·
Found the culprit in my R this evening, finally.

It was rattling up against the exhaust so we just took it off for now. I'll probably get it welded back into place this weekend.

#14 ·
Nice find. Glad you kept searching...instead of saying its "normal"

#15 ·
Ha, thanks. It was driving me nuts and I knew it wasn't normal.

Spent three hours taking apart the center console to no avail, at least I know how to do it now :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.