SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Steering rack replacement.....advice please

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Noreaster 
#1 ·
I have a crappy job ahead of me, the passenger side seals let go on my steering rack. I have a replacement on order from Rack Doctor, has anyone had any luck with them? $300 for a rebuilt OEM Volvo rack seemed like a good deal, we shall see
If anyone has any tips that would be greatly appreciated. Sadly no access to a lift so it’s going to be a driveway job

#4 ·
yes it is v70R specific

#3 ·
I've done this job before. You will have to support the engine and drop the subframe a bit. If I did it over again I would try to knock the bolts out that are pressed into the steering rack. It gains you the extra room to slide the rack out nicely. Otherwise it's very frustrating getting it out. I did the new rack in with out the bolts and it was a breeze to slide it in. I got different nuts that weren't locking and used lock washers when bolting the rack back down they sucked the bolts back down and pressed them back in. Oh and getting the steering linkage hooked back up can be tricky.

#7 ·
I did find that post a couple weeks ago when it started to leak. Is there any trick to getting the pinch clamp for the colum back on the new rack? Is there enough room to get your hand up there to slide it back on?

#9 ·
Yes its one of the biggest bitch is to get the steering rack on to the steering wheel. What I did it take 2 people to make it easier. I tided a rope threw the bolt hole and had the other person move the steering wheel back and forth while I pulled on the rope hard hard once it found the right angle it pop right in. Volvo say to replace that part. The only reason I see why is the at spread open a little bit more and easier to get on.

It seams that you have to have girl arm with guy strength to work on the newer cars now days

#11 ·
Yes its one of the biggest bitch is to get the steering rack on to the steering wheel. What I did it take 2 people to make it easier. I tided a rope threw the bolt hole and had the other person move the steering wheel back and forth while I pulled on the rope hard hard once it found the right angle it pop right in. Volvo say to replace that part. The only reason I see why is the at spread open a little bit more and easier to get on.

It seams that you have to have girl arm with guy strength to work on the newer cars now days
That is a good idea to use the rope trick, I hope it works for me. I will have a second person....I hope

I plan on cleaning out the universal and lubing it up while I'm in there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.