SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Help! Serious Issue with Angle Gear. . .

4K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  titan joe 
#1 ·
Noticed a leak on garage floor the other morning...

Today I got her up on the lift and to my horror I noticed this...

Angle gear is not longer bolted into the tranny... bolts are sheered off and stuck in transmission.. So much facepalm :facepalm:

AWD still working. But I can rotate angle gear up and down

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes angle gear has been taken out before...

#9 ·
Driving like this will probably lock up the angle gear, no?

#10 ·
It would work the front CV to death at least. This is crazy. I would agree that its from Brawny-man over torquing.

#11 ·
Do NOT drive it like that.

Park it, take photos, contact who ever worked on it, or fix it your self it you are going to handle it.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Anyway to extract the bolts from the tranny?

#21 ·
Yup that's what I'm going to have to do...

Could this have been caused by the 4k RPM launch I did last week?
Btw I want to do this without having to drop the tranny.... possible? Or will access be limited?

#18 ·

#29 ·

YES

The bolts may not be very hard to get out at all.

Get one of the LH drill bolt EZ-Out combos. They are likely to reverse out as soon as drill gets deep enough for the EZ-Out part to contact.
You will, of course, have to remove RH axle, unbolt the rear dshaft and remove the AG so you have room to work.

#19 ·
So who's the one that worked on it?

#20 ·
Some indy in Toronto. I had this starting issue due t corrossion between tranny and motor.

So he had dropped the angle gear to gain access...

Anyways he claims it's not his fault and that it would have happened way earlier had it been his fault. Nothing I can really do.

#24 ·
The bolts are in there guys. I checked.. Sheered right off :(

#26 ·
I'd assume they used different bolts. Honestly for steel to shear off like that is rare. Especially when dealing with an aluminium component. I'd assume the aluminium bolt holes would break way before the bolts. In either case, drill out the bolts if you can. Then take the threads out.

The 4k launch is probably what sheared them though.

#35 ·
Collar sleeve not welded. I will be doing that now though since it will be out.

I'm going with the old fashioned way to get the bolt out... Drill right through the bolt. Takes time and effort and precision.. but it's what is necessary

#33 ·
Ok you said he took it out to get more room to work. So what part of it not being like that before he started I'm i not understanding? You would think the guy would be like uh just to let you know before I take your angle gear off um it's sheared off your tranny.

Your car bro so more power to you. But I would not be fixing someone else bull****.

#34 ·
Ok you said he took it out to get more room to work. So what part of it not being like that before he started I'm i not understanding? You would think the guy would be like uh just to let you know before I take your angle gear off um it's sheared off your tranny.

Your car bro so more power to you. But I would not be fixing someone else bull****.
Angle gear was taken out 6 months ago...

Not when this was discovered. I put the car on the lift as I noticed a slight oil leak on my garage floor.

#36 ·
Something was clearly not right when the angle gear was last installed as there is no reasonable explanation for all bolts to shear like that... unless perhaps they were junk low strength bolts with massive porosity. Yes, as suggested, get the EZ out for these. Get good bits... sometimes you can get them together with the EZ out in a kit. Start a pilot with a punch before you start drilling to avoid the bit walking on you. Then the EZ out should get them out no problem. Just be sure you drill into them enough for the EZ out to bite enough otherwise you will be doing it over.

#37 ·
Can someone post a link to this EZ-Out device?

I'm getting all kinds when I search...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.