SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Going to try dent repair. Is this spot accessible?

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Arch Stanton 
#1 ·
Long story short, some kid hit my car with a snow shovel in a few different spots while he was clearing snow from his driveway while I was parked there. Unfortunately I can't prove it so I have to fix this all on my own. In the future, my plan is to replace the damaged panels (both front fenders and both rear doors) because I figure they would be cheaper to replace (if I found a parts car with the same color) than to have a professional repair and repaint the damage.

For now, the scratches and dents are really bugging me and I'd like to make the spots a little less noticeable. That said, is it possible to access this dent in my passenger fender?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would rage. I don't know about your question, but I'm sorry man. :(
On the plus side there is a fresh TI part out in classifieds!

#3 ·
I lost it when I first saw the damage. It'll be ok though. I'll get it sorted out.

I've been talking to Connor about both fenders. I might be getting a parts car this summer too so I guess we'll see what happens.

#4 ·
Join the club!

I got this one a few months back - I have no clue where. All i can tell you though, is it annoys me more than my slightly sagging from bumper - ultimately because I have to look at it every time I get into my car!

I took it to my local dent repair place and they gave me this whole spiel about how it's in a hard to reach area, requiring them to take the entire panel off or get behind it somehow.

Long Story Short: they want $350

I don't know if I can call BS or not because I know nothing about dents, but I can assure you it will not be cheap.

#5 ·
Yup. I was quoted around $400 after the paint work was done. For about half that I can get a whole new fender and install it myself. Total damage to my car was quoted at $2,300... I figure I could buy all the necessary panels and have everything looking new for about $700. Hopefully I can find a Ti Grey parts car that was wrecked in the back.

#6 ·
Accessible, yes.
A bit harder on a P2
On a GEN 1 (P80) they pop out the corner lights and go in from there, all of 5 minutes

#8 ·
They can also do a "glue pull" for those style dents. I just had a bunch taken out of my poor RR quarter. Find a PDR guy that has that equipment/experience.

#9 ·
If you don't mind me asking, what was the total cost per dent? Did it work well? The only thing is that the paint is scratched pretty deep in this spot too.

#10 ·
I dont have a per-dent price, but my guy charged $288 out the door for 1 large dent in my LR door and 4 similar dents to yours(mine were not missing paint) in the LR quarter. As for the paint, you'll have to touch that up yourself.

#11 ·
That's a pretty sweet deal. Guess I'll shop around for a few more quotes

#12 ·
Looking at your original pic, it IS possible that your dent is not a great candidate for a "glue pull", however, they should be able get leverage on that dent buy going behind the wheel arch liner. Good luck!

#13 ·
It looks to me like those dents have creases, as well as going through the base layer of paint. So from what I can see, to fix it right means having the dent pulled or hammered out, then sanding/filling/painting, and because it has to be repainted likely needs to be blended in the hood. A good shop may be able to get around blending. In summary, if you want it totally fixed right, PDR is likely not going to work.

#14 ·
Thanks guys, I figured that it wouldn't be a super easy fix. I'll probably just try to get the dent minimized myself (I've pulled my own dents before). I can usually get it about 90% better. Then I'll use some touch up paint for now. I'll probably get totally new fenders this summer since I plan on getting a parts car.

#16 ·
I talked to him about the fenders earlier today. I might take them if he can figure out a way to get them shipped to me.

#17 ·
I had almost identical damage in the same spot on my S60R (same color car too) caused from the gardener whacking the car with a tool.

I paid $200 to have it done at a local body shop (originally quoted $300 but I was able to talk down the price). I assume they did PDR for that price. I can only spot the remnants of the dent at a certain angle, and even then it is very slight. I have a hard time believing they didn't do any painting, given that the scratch itself is completely gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.