SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

I'm keeping my car forever

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  classicform 
#1 · (Edited)
195,000 miles. Bought new.

Replaced: Suspension parts, brakes, timing belts (wear items).

NO collar sleeve issues. Original clutch, wheel bearings, etc...

Pretty reliable I'd say.

A lot of highway driving (obviously) but plenty of winter use and no awd issues.

Comfortable, fast enough, quick enough, good looking enough, and...paid for.

Just wish it were a V70R:)

#4 ·
Yep. Keep in mind I drive 30k or so a year...you don't do that in the city:) I would guess a third of those miles are highway.

#5 ·
Looks like you and I have similar cars. Also original owner here. I have a few more mods on mine and 130K, but knock on wood I would say it has been very reliable. Just like you, I have done wear items only for the most part... DEM had to be replaced under warranty as it was throwing codes and knocking out the AWD. Other than that, your usual items... plugs, coils, tie rods, shocks, bushings, brakes. I am also on the OEM clutch, but it's starting to slip very slightly under high load... can't blame it though with the mods on the car. Upgraded clutch on hand ready for install. But totally agree... keeping mine for a looooong time.

#6 ·
Similar cars and same state, Kalamazoo. Bought it over on your side of the state though.
I can't imagine a more comfortable car to drive and hope to keep it for a long time.
I just thought I'd give people something other to read besides "this car sucks" "this car is so unreliable" know what I mean?

#10 ·
Interesting. Where at? Mine was from Suburban in Troy. But I actually had the dealer work to find it and ship it up from the Carolinas. I need to get out to Kalamazoo and stop over at Bells.

#12 ·
I'm closing in on 200K, and I've decided to keep it despite the ongoing DEM issue. The VR is still a sleeper that still has lots of get-up-and-go! :partywave:

#24 ·
Have you not sent your DEM to XeMODeX? Mine failed at 55k miles a couple of years ago and I haven't had a hiccup since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

#14 ·
My VR is almost to 135k miles. Overall, I would say it has been pretty reliable compared to my 3 previous VR's. In the last year I did need to replace the AC condenser and the driver side door panel due to a inside door handle that broke its mounting points.

I do have some major expenses coming up as my collar gear is stripped out, I need to do a refresh on some of the front suspension, to tighten its feel up and I still have original rear shocks, clutch and rotors that may need replacing this year. O and tires, need those soon too.

So yep, my R could be a bit of a money pit this year. That is ok though, as the car payment was about $6k a year, so anything less than that in repairs and I can't bitch to much.

#17 ·
My VR is almost to 135k miles. Overall, I would say it has been pretty reliable compared to my 3 previous VR's. In the last year I did need to replace the AC condenser and the driver side door panel due to a inside door handle that broke its mounting points.

I do have some major expenses coming up as my collar gear is stripped out, I need to do a refresh on some of the front suspension, to tighten its feel up and I still have original rear shocks, clutch and rotors that may need replacing this year. O and tires, need those soon too.

So yep, my R could be a bit of a money pit this year. That is ok though, as the car payment was about $6k a year, so anything less than that in repairs and I can't bitch to much.
...You have a Sonacama VR, with a manual. You have no right to bitch at all. :p

-Steve

#15 ·
Forever...

78K+ since new.
Can't find a reason not too keep it.

#19 ·
I'd totally go for a meet up at Bells... Was just in GR a couple weeks ago for Founders KBS release... scored a couple 4 packs on the Saturday release day so was pretty happy about that. Have plenty of Hopslam. Now, if I could just get my hands on some Black Note...

#21 ·
ElementR They just tapped a keg of Black Note at Sidetrack Bar in Ypsilanti last night (sidetrackbarandgrill.com) according to Bell's events page, perhaps they still have some. Or I am good friends with the owner of the largest micobeer store in west MI I will see if he can order me some, you interested? On a side note taking the R to Short's 10th anniversary party up by Traverse City on the 26th of April? 90+ beers on tap, anyone in? lol.

#23 ·
Heck yeah, I'd definitely be in for some. I've had it on draft once, bet never bottled. Would love to make it up to Shorts then, but already tied up. I bet that will be a blast.

I do think a Bells trip is in order though so let's see who we can round up and plan a day.

#25 ·
Wow...the both of your Rs were from Suburban Volvo? How ironic...I work there now :p. Was it Michael Path you guys both worked with? That'd be even funnier if it was. I'm the only one here who's R was from Dwyer and Sons in Commerce....And all the other S60Rs I looked at (2 others) were both from Dwyer and Sons as well :p

#26 ·
175k on oem clutch. Still grabs like it should. No slippage

#27 ·
This ...These Volvo's will be with me till the end

Only 81K on the VR and it will stay low miles now that I have the Fleet. Also it only 10K on a complete suspension refresh. It will also have a new motor within the next year. I expect no more than 5K a year max on it.

Until then Daily Drivers

98 V70 T5 267K miles 50% daily and work car
2000 XC 327K 50% daily and work car
2007 XC special fun car when the VR is not needed

Hope to add a 2012 Xc70 as a daily driver next year, already buying parts :)

I have yet to sell a Volvo, but I have lost them to getting hit . I like my wagons and hope tho have

#28 ·
AsianR - Right, bought mine through Mike.

#29 ·
Don't recall who the salesperson was but she was female...ordered it late in '07.
Can't commit on a meetup due to travel but if I am in town I'll taste a few with ya.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.