SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Dealer loaned me a 14' S60T5 and it sucked

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  a-sims 
#1 ·
Dealer took their time sorting a few things on the VR.. Kept the loaner for two weeks and I couldn't wait for the VR to get finished. The suspension on the S60 sucked, handling sucked,performance sucked and gas mileage sucked. Felt like i was driving a cheap corolla..Don't know why someone would pay 38K for it..:thumbdown:

#3 ·
I drove a 13 S60T5AWD for a few thousand miles. I thought it had ample power but not R power. I got 30 mpg at 75-80 cruising and 25 in mixed commute.

You haven't driven a Corolla. I drove one in Toronto this past weekend and it is NOWHERE near the caliber of car the P3 S60 is. S60 T5 is a 6.6 sec 0-60 and corolla might make 8.5 seconds. The 1200 mile new body style Corolla I had still has that lots of loose fitting stuff noise in the engine when it is cold. If I put an engine together and it rattled like those do I'd take it apart to find what I did wrong.

Volvo wasn't trying for R handling with the S60 T5. The numbers of buyers looking for that is small.

#6 ·
You haven't driven a Corolla.
Drove a Corolla S 2 months ago and honestly didnt sense a whole lot of difference compared to the S60T5.

Talk about a gross exaggeration.
no. not really.I was unimpressed. The XC90 is going in this Friday and i'm supposed to be on a V60..looking forward on driving that one.

#4 ·
Talk about a gross exaggeration.

#5 ·
T5s make great rental cars. I was really impressed with the one I had

#8 ·
I've driven the exact car, had it as a loaner albeit it was brand new with just a couple miles on the clock. It wasn't TERRIBLE. The fit and finish was actually quite nice. Sure it wasn't as fun to drive (I too was excited to get back into my R), but I think it's a pretty decent car overall. I've also driven a new Corolla just a couple years ago and I would definitely take the T5 over the Toyota. My biggest gripe is the super slow SENSUS system. It just sucks, and iPod navigation is laughable.

#9 ·
Fit and finish was nice but the handling was poor, tranny hard shifted at times and acceleration was sluggish. Car had a little over 3K and Suspension creaked. It drove light like a japanese car. Perhaps I drove a lemon? dunno... but I wouldnt touch that car for 38K.

#11 ·
Agreed.

I test drove a new T5 and felt it was de-contented from even the pre-facelift S60. It annoyed me that the door was more molded parts than the wrapped leather/ Vinyl of the previous s60's, and that the cupholder tambour door was plastic. Also, the slush molded dash felt less plush than my R, I know it helped with the crisp lines but it felt cheaper. BMW does a much better job with crisp IP lines without feeling cheap. The fit and finish was better than my R, but not as well done as the VW CC I drove not too long ago. If Volvo wants to stay competitive at their prices, they need to invest more in their interiors to compete with entry level luxury options like the CLA and A3/4.

The T5 did feel under-powered, not as under-powered as an Altima or Camry, but I was expecting more at 250hp. Maybe weight? The steering felt just as vague as my R, something I've always complained about on Volvo's. Also, no projector lens?! Its 2014, even a cheap Scion TC has one. That old reflector killed the front end for me. I know there's an option for one, but the lot I was in only the R-design had projectors.

#14 · (Edited)
I guess I should elaborate, steering through harder corners feels ok, its vague when at center, cruising on highways in a straight line. Also, after a turn most cars return to center quite easy while this car feels too light. At low speeds it feels like the power steering is doing too good a job (I know about the variable assist). Also, I notice after some spirited driving things tighten up and steering response feels more focused. Might just be me, I feel like I'm a bit crazy sometimes describing it, but the new s60 felt the same.

I have subframe inserts, poly CLA's, xc90 strut tops, IPD top mounts,rear brace, lowering springs, pretty much everything's been replaced except sways, which I'll be doing this year, but I don't thing I'll ever get that return to center resistance I'm looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.