SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2004 s60r at

799 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Captn' Haddock 
#1 ·
I just recently purchased a 2004 Volvo S60R with about 75k miles. Im new to these forums so forgive me if there is already a post on this.
I want to do some basic upgrades with it like DP, Exhaust, and ECU. Im looking into my options, but if there is any input you guys would like to give im all ears.
There is a few things parts on the car that I feel need relacing before I go into any of this and Im torn at where to look for them since prices seem to vary everywhere I look.

Here are the things that I would like to replace before doing anything else:
Brake Pads + Rotors (many kinds, don't know enough about what to look for in rotors)
Front Struts (or do these need to be changed as a set?)
Control Arm Bushings (oem good or should i go with something more?)
Dealer said i should replace the rear sway bar and angle gear. How important are these?

cant think of anything else at the moment but I will update as I do.

Lowering the car seems necessary to me since the car seems to ride kind of high. Eibach appeared to be a good choice, though I fear what that might do to the rubbing that I get from the front tires. suggestions?

Any tips or advise is greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to SS and glad to see yet another R owner!

You will find this site is a WEALTH of information. Nearly everything you could want to know has pretty much been discussed at some point. A few pointers since you are new to the forums. Search the forums! Use the forums' search function or go to www.bing.com and search for "site:forums.swedespeed.com <your question>". Post some pics, we all love to see the rides of the other R owners. Get to know the acronyms used here, especially the name of your exterior and interior color options.

Let me Bing that for you!

As to your plans, here are some thoughts:
  • The brakes on the R are pretty beastly, but upgrading to slotted rotors is a popular upgrade.
  • The R has a unique suspension setup (4C or CCCC) and while front and rear don't need to be changed at the same time, I would do left and right. Make sure you get the right struts for the 4C system.
  • Check out www.ipdusa.com for all your OEM/aftermarket parts.
  • Not sure why the sway bar would need replacing, but the Angle gear is definitely worth checking into. These cars suffer from a know issue with the collar sleeves for the angle gear. Especially living in Alaska, you'll want to be sure your AWD is in top notch shape.

As for lowering the car, the verdict is pretty split 50/50 on these boards. The 4C system can make it a bit difficult, although do able. Again, searching is your friend here.

Again, welcome!

#4 ·
Dealer said i should replace the rear sway bar and angle gear. How important are these?
Any tips or advise is greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Chris
Chris,

Was the dealer saying that the angle gear was bad? If so, take the car back and demand a refund. please read up on the issues surrounding the angle gear, and it's related collar sleeve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.