SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Can someone get me a good picture of the thermostat housing/connector for an 01ish XC?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  cs057 
#1 ·
I have an s60R engine that I'm finishing putting in my car. It's been a while since I looked at my original engine so I'd like to see the what the XC's thermostat looks like so I can ether modify the r's or buy the appropriate parts off of an another car. (Connector on the R's engine seems to be different somehow).
Thanks guys.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Yeah that looks about right. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it=) The newer engines seem to have the sensor mounted in the block as well. I wonder if I can thread the old style sensor in place or modify a connector to fit? Just food for thought at the moment=P

#4 ·
You can either splice the connector or change the entire housing, I'd use the housing from 2001 since the thermostats are $15 vs $80-100 on the 06. And I did.

The sensors have the same threads and screw in the same place, so you can also swap sensors if you're using the new housing. Here's a picture showing the complete units, you can see they bolt to the head in the exact same way:

#6 ·
Thanks for the detailed image. It looks like splicing will be a lot better/cheaper. I looked the sensor up and it's over $60=P Sadly I don't have my original engine anymore or I would have snagged the connector and housing off of it.

I was having some trouble earlier fitting my upper radiator house and now I can see why. The difference in the shape and size of the thermostat housings is very noticeable haha.

#5 ·
Can you post some pics of this swap? It sounds really cool!

#8 ·
^Heck yes, thanks very much

#9 ·
Any junkyard that has Volvos will have that earlier housing with the sensor for like ten bucks, you can also order it from Erie Vo-Vo or V and S auto dismantlers out in California, should be relatively affordable. If you're balking at $60 for the sensor then the first time you have to replace the later thermostat with the whole housing you're going to be kicking yourself. Even if you don't want to replace the whole housing, they don't sell it any other way.

#10 ·
Coincidentally, the T-stat went bad in my 01 T5 this week; I replaced it today (Volvo Part No. 271664). Straightforward with the old style housing- drain off some coolant; remove the plastic cambelt cover; remove two Torx40 cover screws; remove cover and replace T-stat; replace cover and close it all up. Done. About 30 minutes.

With the new style housing, looks like a real PITA. I'll take LD's suggestion and have an older housing ready to go when my 02 2.4T T-stat dies.

/FWIW, the original OEM T-stat in my T5M was date stamped 12.00, and was a 90oC unit. Ie., not the 87oC unit some people claim was fitted to the turbo engines.

#12 ·
I'll definitely grab the 01-02 style for the future. The engine I have has low miles so I'm not worried.. yet. I'll most likely being doing an intake manifold swap in the future so I'll get it done then. Thanks for the help and advice=)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.