Thoughts and opinions for a 1967 Swedish P130 - IT'S MINE!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Thoughts and opinions for a 1967 Swedish P130 - IT'S MINE!

Hey guys, pretty new to the forum and a new Volvo convert. Right now i live in Germany and am looking for a cool daily driver/project car for myself. The Amazon was at the top of the list for me and i stumbled on a local P130 with B20a and 4 speed manual with overdrive. Cosmetically it looks pretty good. No rust. Body has the usual small dings etc and the paint is faded. Mechanically it looks good. Needs a replacement valve cover gasket and windshield which are both included in the purchase. Low miles. 40,000 Km. Has been driven and stored in Sweden up until 2013 when it was brought to Germany by the owner who is a collector. I've read through some of the buying guides etc., but wanted to get some opinions from forum members. The plan is to use it as a daily driver and slowly do some modifications and make it a reliable but fun little canyon carver.

Here is the ad.

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...l?id=188907185

My only concern is the fact that it is a B20a, which was not offered in the US. I plan on bringing it back and am wondering how this will affect parts availability etc. Would it be worth while to buy a B20b head and carbs and convert it to a B20b when i get back?

Also, being so close to Sweden i figure it is a great opportunity to get in touch and possibly buy some parts from the experts up North. Does anyone have some links or contacts to any tuners or part suppliers in Northern Europe? Thanks guys.
      2015 XC60 R Design

1967 P130 Amazon B20 with Overdrive

Lots of motorcycles

Global Moderator
      Quote Originally Posted by gts455 View Post
      Hey guys, pretty new to the forum and a new Volvo convert. Right now i live in Germany and am looking for a cool daily driver/project car for myself. The Amazon was at the top of the list for me and i stumbled on a local P130 with B20a and 4 speed manual with overdrive. Cosmetically it looks pretty good. No rust. Body has the usual small dings etc and the paint is faded. Mechanically it looks good. Needs a replacement valve cover gasket and windshield which are both included in the purchase. Low miles. 40,000 Km. Has been driven and stored in Sweden up until 2013 when it was brought to Germany by the owner who is a collector. I've read through some of the buying guides etc., but wanted to get some opinions from forum members. The plan is to use it as a daily driver and slowly do some modifications and make it a reliable but fun little canyon carver.

Here is the ad.

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...l?id=188907185

My only concern is the fact that it is a B20a, which was not offered in the US. I plan on bringing it back and am wondering how this will affect parts availability etc. Would it be worth while to buy a B20b head and carbs and convert it to a B20b when i get back?

Also, being so close to Sweden i figure it is a great opportunity to get in touch and possibly buy some parts from the experts up North. Does anyone have some links or contacts to any tuners or part suppliers in Northern Europe? Thanks guys.
      "...and gals..."

Welcome to Swedespeed, Paul.

Buy this Amazon immediately!

George Dill

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Due to time constraints for sale very nice Amazon type 131341 M model number V00731 it is a P130 .
      Was imported in 2013 from Sweden has seen no salt
      Technically, brakes , wheel bearings, front axle has been already done some carrying joints everything works and drives really nice.
      It is a B 20 engine installed 82 HP and has 1990 cubic capacity.
      The Amazon has an overdrive works perfectly.
      Optical unfortunately a few bumps and a few superficial rust spots .
      Vehicle is suitable as a daily driver or if you want to restore the Amazon by little, needed to really nice to have a new paint job .
      The car still has the Swedish TUV think for the Germans is not much to do .
      All papers are available to get to TUV , H- mark and registration .
      There are still given the following items left front wing in sheet metal, windshield and the front mask.
      More questions will be answered or more pictures by email.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great, thanks for the links George. I have looked at the car and it is being held for me. I am test driving it next Saturday and if it is good to go i will be bringing it home.
      2015 XC60 R Design

Lots of motorcycles

Looks like a great car. I was thinking that given the low miles and originality, it may have been a good idea to keep it in stock 121 status. But you will have more fun with the 122S B20B. May be you can pull the original engine and replace it with a B20B, which I am sure you can find in Europe. By the way, the B20B has a different camshaft than the B20A, so if you keep the same engine, you may want to replace the camshaft for a full performance advantage. You will lose a little of the very low rpm pull that the B20A gives you, but that's the price of performance. The heads are the same, but the B20B has a thinner head gasket.

If the 4 speed and OD were original, the car has the 4.56 gear ratio, which will give you great thrills at low speed acceleration. With a bone-stock B20B, you can expect 0-100 km/h in the range of 9 seconds, and top speed about 180 km/h real. If the car was not equipped with OD from the factory, it came with the 4.10 rear, which will reduce both acceleration and top speed, but will give you better fuel economy.

Great info, Dimitri. I was aware of the Cam, gasket, and dual carb differences. Are there any others? I will have to keep an eye out for a new cam. Should i just go for a B cam or is there another cam out there that can be run with a mostly stock motor?

I will have to find out about the overdrive. Hopefully it is original.
      2015 XC60 R Design

Lots of motorcycles

Hi Paul.

im also from germany and i drive a 1967 Amazon.

Here is a link to a german volvo forum, there you can get a lot of imformations around vintage volvos, part dealers and other crazy people

http://www.networksvolvoniacs.org/

for aditional informations contact me

regards
      Andreas

Thoughts and opinions for a 1967 Swedish P130

There are several options for cams. Ipd sells a few along with some stock grinds. I had a Schneider cam in my last B20. Isky still makes custom cams as well. If it were my car I would buy a D cam from Ipd, put on a B20b head gasket, put on some SUs, and rock out.
      '67 130 - It was almost finished... B230f+t, WC T5, Ford 8.8 in the works.
      '71 142s - new daily
      '80 245 DL
      '93 945t - 15g @ 15psi
      '98 V70 - lady's daily

Global Moderator
      Quote Originally Posted by andrewnance21 View Post
      There are several options for cams. Ipd sells a few along with some stock grinds. I had a Schneider cam in my last B20. Isky still makes custom cams as well. If it were my car I would buy a D cam from Ipd, put on a B20b head gasket, put on some SUs, and rock out.
      YES!!!

George Dill

The D cam will work really well with the 4.56 rear end.

Perfect, i think that is the way i will go. Thank you very much everyone, i am already learning so much about this beautiful car. I test drive the car on Saturday. I will post up how it goes. Really looking forward to bringing it home.
      2015 XC60 R Design

Lots of motorcycles

Andreas, i will send you a PM.
      2015 XC60 R Design

Lots of motorcycles

Global Moderator
      Perfect, i think that is the way i will go. Thank you very much everyone, i am already learning so much about this beautiful car. I test drive the car on Saturday. I will post up how it goes. Really looking forward to bringing it home.
      We are hoping for pics/video of this test drive.

The ad mentioned that the car should pass inspection in Germany to be driven on public roads. Ask for details/paperwork about this.

Once the car is in the USA it may be subject to inspection prior to use on public roads. Some States/locals test ALL cars for smog, old and older.

The B20A currently in the car may already have a "non-A" cam - look for service/repair/mod records before/after the test drive.

Adding twin SU HS6 carbs is a piece of cake but you will need to determine the B20's total displacement and cam profile to get the optimum needle application.

George Dill

The car passed inspection in Sweden this passed year and i've seen the documentation for it. It was registered in Sweden until last year when it was brought down here. It sat the Winter in a nice clean and dry barn where the collector stores some of his cars so i think it should be ok as long as it runs and drives ok. I will ask about the cam or any other maintenance, i am sure i will have plenty more questions for everyone, so far everyone has been extremely helpful and has further reinforced my belief that this is the car for me.
      2015 XC60 R Design

Lots of motorcycles

Went for a test drive today and promptly paid for the vehicle. I am now the proud owner of a 1967 Volvo P130. It started and ran better then most newer cars i have had. No smoke from the exhaust at all. after a tune up and oil change it should be good to go for commuting to work. I will post pictures and possibly a video driving it home through the Black forest in the next few days. Thanks for all the help and advice, i'm sure i'll have more questions soon enough.
      2015 XC60 R Design

Lots of motorcycles

Congratulations.

Is this car coming to the USA, or is it staying in Europe? I think these cars are much better appreciated in Europe, and frankly are better suited for European roads. Most roads in the USA are too straight and wide to really enjoy the Amazons, but there are exceptions ....

Thanks Dimitri. The car is staying with me here in Europe for the next 3-5 years and then i will be bringing it back to the states with me when i return.
      2015 XC60 R Design

Lots of motorcycles

Global Moderator
      Went for a test drive today and promptly paid for the vehicle. I am now the proud owner of a 1967 Volvo P130. It started and ran better then most newer cars i have had. No smoke from the exhaust at all. after a tune up and oil change it should be good to go for commuting to work. I will post pictures and possibly a video driving it home through the Black forest in the next few days. Thanks for all the help and advice, i'm sure i'll have more questions soon enough.
      Good show - let's roll!...

http://tinyurl.com/mepmmy8

George Dill

Nice, thanks for the post on VCOA. Looks like i should join up over there as well.
      Last edited by gts455; 05-28-2014 at 03:01 PM.
      2015 XC60 R Design

Lots of motorcycles

Ok, brought the car home tonight. What a fun car. I love it. Needs a good tune up and some care but still, a great car. I will get some pictures up this weekend.
      2015 XC60 R Design

Lots of motorcycles

Nice looking car! Good luck with it.

Thanks, it needs a good tune and a little work, but the drive home was an absolute blast. Love this car.
      2015 XC60 R Design

Lots of motorcycles