Volvo starting and hesitation issue
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Volvo starting and hesitation issue

Guys i need to pick your brains (mmm brains...)

Got car back there today after getting timing belt kit inc water pump front brakes discs+pads track rod end full fluid and filter change and collected with work van.

However when i went back with my dad to pick up work van to drop it to bosses house the volvo wouldn't start atall and had to leave it at mechanics again.

Symptoms are slight hesitation of power between gearchanges on initial power car takes 2-3 times to start and now it just refuses to start.

I think it's the maf or a fuel air ratio problem. Any thoughts ???

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

hesitation could be due to bad ignition packs. starting prob could be a # of things: spark plugs, fuel filter, injectors, etc.
      what kind of volvo?
      2002 Volvo S60 2.4T AWD

2007 S60 2.0T petrol

Mechanic has had it last few days and he says it's the Airflow meter which is being replaced early next week.

Fingers crossed

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Airflow meter wasn't the fix.

Car is worse than ever today (figured out how to make it start) but hunting on idle/hesitation and mpg are worse than ever (17.5mpg lol) and Reduced engine performance light is on.

I think the ETM (Electronic throttle module) either needs cleaning or changing, thought this wasn't an issue after 2002

The newer ETMs last longer but will still eventually fail or at least need service/cleaning.

Did you only have this issue after the timing belt was done it was it doing the same thing before?

CEL on?
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 178K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, HD coils, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 79k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design Dad - '98 S70 T5 160K + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5

Same thing before.

It can run for 2 days though no problem then it gets almost impossible to start and the other symptoms above.

Might undertake cleaning the ETM myself or try and bug my mechanic to do it when he is quiet.

Method i have to start the car isn't pretty but i need it this week.

When it does the "almost impossible to start" symptom, I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it.

If you've never replaced your fuel filter, that wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and knock out too.

When the ETM fails the symptom is usually an erratic idle.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 178K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, HD coils, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 79k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design Dad - '98 S70 T5 160K + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5

Idle isn't too bad normally when idling with parking brake on if i put air con to auto it goes nuts though for the first cycle

It's a manual

This is what a failing ETM idle looks like:

Camshaft/crankshaft position sensors checked? VVT system ok?

ZRimaZ

^Those items with throw codes and turn on the CEL.

Quote Originally Posted by Supergurrier View Post
      2007 S60 2.0T petrol

Mechanic has had it last few days and he says it's the Airflow meter which is being replaced early next week.

Fingers crossed
      I bet you car is slightly out of time. I had a new timing belt put on my 06 s60 2.5 T5 and it did the same thing, turned out that the exhaust side cam was off by two teeth. The cams on these cars are spring loaded and have to be held in place while changing the belt. I bet that's your problem.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements