SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Has anyone here face lifted their S40?

8K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  airjordan117 
#1 ·
I've seen a couple of threads where members face lifted their 05-07 V50 to the 08-'12 body design. Wondering if there's anything specific one should know about doing this on an S40 vs V50? In particular, one of the users who did his V50 said that some dremel work would be needed to get the rear bumper cover to fit. Curious to know more details about this.

I have a junkyard source where I can get the parts for dirt cheap and am seriously considering it. Will make a thread with pics if I go ahead with it.

#3 ·
Only the front bumper would be able to be facelifted without any modification. You will need the new style bumper and new lights. I believe one member was still able to fit the old lights on the new bumper with some modification. The rear bumper I believe does not directly fit.

#4 ·
The rear bumper I believe does not directly fit.
This is exactly what I'm curious about. The V50 facelift thread tells me everything I need to know about getting the front bumper to fit. I'm trying to find out what modifications are needed to get the rear bumper to fit. I'm worried about shelling out for the parts, not being able to figure out how to fit the rear bumper on my own and having no resource to help me figure it out.

#5 ·
I've had my eyes on an 08' front end conversion for my S40. Ironically, I like the pre-face lift rear end better then the 08+ rear. I'd love to do the 08' facelift front with the 05-07 OEM sport rear and sport side skirts. The trouble is getting the paint to match (on a 10 year old car) perfectly without spraying the whole car.

#6 ·
You can use either the S40 of V50 front bumpers (the facelift bumpers have different styles). carreragt7 did the S40 facelift. You will need the facelift headlights as well.

As stated, you can also update the rear bumper. The face lift taillights are shorter, so it will require some modification or new taillights.

#7 ·
You can use either the S40 of V50 front bumpers (the facelift bumpers have different styles). carreragt7 did the S40 facelift. You will need the facelift headlights as well.

As stated, you can also update the rear bumper. The face lift taillights are shorter, so it will require some modification or new taillights.
I am planning to do the whole shebang. Xenon 08+ headlights, V50 front bumper & '11 grille and 08+ tails and rear bumper. So if I understand correctly, if you already have the facelift tails, the rear bumper will fit without modification? That's not what I understood from the V50 thread.

#8 ·
You can use facelift tail lights and the pre-facelift rear bumper. You'll just have a 1" gap between the taillight and the bumper trim.

You can sort of see the gap in this picture here (facelift tails with pre-facelift bumper):

#10 ·
Rubber gourmet will be my best idea to fill in the gab. Not going to be noticeable and no water will get in between or dirt.

#11 ·
@ OP . . . personally I'd say it is definitely not worse it . . . why? because it's going to be expensive (even if you get it from a junk yard) for just a very marginal improvement, imo that said.
Put the money else where it will have a bigger impact such as nice wheels or some performance parts.

I installed a dynamic trim . . . I'm happy with it for the most part. Sometime I miss the old look (it's hard to explain). But I've never felt very good about the money I spent on it.
Over the years I've spent quite some money on my car, seriously a good chunk of cash, and this was the least rewarding amount of money I spent on the car. It might just be me but I think it's an opinion worth hearing none the less...

#12 ·
After a lot of careful thought, I realized that I vastly prefer the rear end of the face lifted models but I prefer the front end of the pre-facelifted s40's.

The rear end of the face-lifted models looks way more modern, sleek and attractive. But I find the stubbier, more snub nosed and squarish lines on the front end of the pre-facelifts to look more muscular and attractive than the more tapered front end of the face lifted models. Plus, the pre-facelift with an elevate front bumper (in my opinion) looks better than the front end of any 08+ P1 I've seen.

So what I'll be doing is face-lifting the rear end and putting an elevate bumper on the front end (not ordered yet, hoping to find one second hand first). Also will be swapping out the halogen front lamps with factory bi-xenons (already ordered). I'll be getting started once I finish off my interior work. Brand new set of facelift tails just arrived today.

#15 ·
Pictures of the rears when you get the job done pls :)

#16 ·
Will do. It'll be a while though. I tried to pop them in today and the circuit boards don't match. Will have to order a set of circuit boards.

Also still debating whether to get a facelift rear bumper and figure out how to fit it, or to keep the same bumper and mold/fuse a fiberglass panel onto the bumper to cover the gap.

#17 ·
Would rubber strip be an easier idea to cover the gap?

#19 ·
Hope you figure it out and do a good write up I like the new rears better than the old.

#20 ·
I should hopefully have a used OEM bi-xenon headlight (pre-facelift) for sale in the classifieds soon. Along with a pair of pre-facelift halogen headlights, pair of tail lights, front bumper, rear bumper, fog lights and a couple of custom mesh grilles.

My plans have changed again ;p. At nearly $200 for shipping to Canada plus whatever customs/tax I would have been charged at the border, the ELEVATE front bumper is just too prohibitively expensive to go ahead with my original plan. So instead of doing Elevate + factory bi-xenons on the front and facelift on the rear, I’ll be doing a full front and rear facelift conversion. I’ll be getting halogen facelift headlights and retrofitting them instead of getting factory xenons.

I was able to put an order in for a facelift V50 front bumper with lip already painted the right color, s40 rear bumper already painted the right color and two rear tail light circuit boards for the same cost (or less) than what the elevate front bumper alone would have been. I’m just waiting for the order to be confirmed and shipped (fingers crossed) before I start taking the body apart and listing the parts for sale.

#21 ·
I have a question and it would be muchly appreciated if anyone knows the answer.

So I know that the E46 projectors are a direct swap bolt-on for pre-facelift headlights. Is this the case for the face lifted headlights as well? And if not, is there another projector that is a direct bolt-on? I'm in the process of trying to get my retrofit gear ordered. Thanks!

#22 ·
i just ordered some 09 headlights for 120 the pair off ebay, mind you they have a tiny tiny crack on the black edge of the lights, next is the bumper im ordering for 240 and that about wraps it up. i just said hey the hell with it, my car is smashed in the front might as well buy these parts...but if it doesnt work then im pretty sure i can make my money back on the headlights. i'll keep ya posted.

#23 ·
I am patiently awaiting to see the rear. I dont mind our cars pre-facelift front. The rear I love on the facelift models. Even if it is just the lights with the gap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.