SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

World Rally Blue plasti dip

19K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Saleen9090 
#1 ·
The July dipyourcar sale provided for me

I went with about three gallons of black followed with two gallons of glossifier w/ 100mg world rally blue dip pearls. I was having trouble finding anyone who had used strictly glossifier with the pearls. Seems like everyone online uses 1 gal glossifier and 1 gal clear dip which gives that satin finish.

I was curious what straight glossifier looked like so I tried it. It is exceptionally challenging because the glossifier is so so so thin that the pearls did everything they could to run. The hood is and part of the front bumper is two places where the pearls beat me :facepalm:

I plan to add more photos once the plan is finished. Still need to refurb my grill, change the wheels and mirror caps to anthracite, finish peeling all the trim, and paint the B pillar black to give it that sleek look.

Did something differenet with the taillights from last time too

See less See more
#5 ·
My vote is definitely anthracite, but I may be biased!

#6 ·
I don't know, it's very odd. I even mentioned on the first guys thread that I was planning on doing a deeper blue too before he had even posted. With the new "dip pearls" that came out, they have many shades of blue and they do seem to be the most attractive.

#4 ·
Looks like it came out great! I really like the glossifier only finish, but just from mixing it with clear (I did 2 glossifier mixed with 1 clear gallon), the glossifier must've been really challenging to evenly apply. It's almost as thin as water.

#7 ·
It was rough man. I set the air flow to high and the material flow to low to try and lay on thin coats. They still found a way to run though. Probably also why DYC hasn't advertised ever trying it.

#8 · (Edited)
I really like the color. Need better picture, but everyone does blue because it looks good on our cars. Everyone and their mom has done flat black, and when trying to accentuate the body lines of the car you need a somewhat light color. Gray looks prime red, blue just stands out. Awesome

#10 ·
Actually, after I got the flat black on the car I was like "damn". With the already black wheels and tinted headlights, it looked pretty darn good. But that wasn't the mission so I continued lol

#22 ·
#17 ·
I love that grill. It really goes well with the rest of your car.

Did you apply the pearl coats the length of the car or panel-by-panel?

#19 ·
I love that grill. It really goes well with the rest of your car.

Did you apply the pearl coats the length of the car or panel-by-panel?
I pretty much did panel by panel. I wish I had done three gallons of glossifier w/ pearls instead of two because on the side you can sorta notice the black underneath. But it also kind of gives it a chameleon effect because at certain angles it looks more black and other angles it looks more blue.

That looks damn good man! I think you should lower it or put a stiff in the trunk, your rear end is up higher than I've seen
I don't wish to lower only because I don't want to take all the extra care that comes with it. For god's sake, I scraped my damn 850 front bumper the other day because of a ridiculous incline entering a shopping mall. If you are familiar with a stock 850, this is nearly impossible to do. It would be nice to hug the road better tho.

#21 ·
This looks awesome. Moar photos!

Very tempted to Sonic-ify one or both of our current Volvos. I miss Sonic...

#30 ·
I did navy blue with white pearlizer, originally wanted to do yellow but maybe that will be next. Blue is the new black lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.