SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Tail lights and control panel light kaput!

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Dylan@IPD 
#1 ·
I have a 1961 PV544 with over 500,000+ Miles. Needless to say, along those many miles and years it has picked up and had numerous adjustments and replacements by pros and not so pros. Looking under dash appears like some creature from out of the "Matrix" movie.

Driving home the other evening the tail lights and dash lights stopped working (the turn signals still do).

I trouble shot the system from back to front and found no obvious burnt out bulbs, short-outs, loose connections, or burnt out fuses.

I now suspecting the light switch itself may be the problem. Does this sound like I'm on track or not? Can new switches be purchased if needed?

Also, are there special tool for removing the interior retainer portion of these switches from the control panel on the dash?

#2 ·
Welcome to Swedespeed, Tom.

Yet another retired Volvo Lover - great, ain't it?!

Just about any PV part is available new/used but not for cheap.

No special tools needed to remove the light switch. If it has a threaded bezel (ring) with two opposing grooves you can use flat tip tweezers to loosen/tighten the bezel. Feel behind the switch for a retaining nut and washer. If the dash switches are not OEM they may have a spring-loaded sliding keeper (retainer) behind the dash.

Idaho, eh - ever do the Selway River?

George Dill

http://canadianrodder.com/pv/

#4 ·
This sounds like a bad switch to me. The usual suspects will have them available.

One thing to not over look when having head light problems is the floor stomper high beam switch. When that thing takes a dive, your head lights won't work no matter what you do. Easy enough to replace, if need be!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.