SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Suggestions for High Performance Snow Tires

6K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  cleanerPA 
#1 ·
What's the consensus on the best balance of performance and snow traction? I have Pilot Super Sports now and I absolutely love them, so was thinking maybe sticking with Michelin Alpins. I live in Boston, so deep snow can be an issue a couple times a winter, but I also don't want a tire that's going to make the car handle like a boat and be awful to drive.

#4 ·
This is like asking who favorite music group is.

That being said, I loved the Bridgestone Blizzaks on my R. Never felt "boat-like" on the VR, and the compound didn't make for any rough driving on Boston streets. They are EXCELLENT in the snow, any amount. The ground clearance on my R became more of an issue than tire traction at some times.

#11 ·
I have the LM-60s for my wagon. They've got better dry pavement performance than regular snows, but they're still snows. Don't expect them to still give you your summer tire performance.

Also, they're not quite as good as Blizzak's other fully dedicated snows when the snow falls.

But whatever, Massachusetts is pretty damn good at keeping the roads clear.

#14 ·
I have my General Altimax Arctic's and they're spectacular.

I run Pilot SS's as well during the non-snowy months, and I can easily say these launch better than the SS's. Louder and bumpier, however...

#15 ·
^^+1 on the altimax. I ran them for the first time last winter and was extremely happy with them. Good price and very good snow and ice performance.

#17 ·
Have had 4 sets of Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's over the years. Current set has got me 5 seasons on the R and time to replace them... intend to get another or whatever the latest version before Winter hits. They're excellent snow tires.

#18 ·
+3 I have general arctics too mounted on my 17" rims and they are sweet....so good it made it hard to break loose

#19 ·
Nokian WR G3. And you can run them all year.

#26 ·
I've been running Nokian, but I will likely replace them with something else because I don't want to buy Russian product.

#28 ·
I run Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 and have been happy with them. I used to run PA3, but lost two due to a huge pothole and had to replace them, so I can't comment on tread life. You're supposed to replace snows after 5 years due to compound deterioration anyway.

Great in the wet, snow and slush. No idea how they are in deep, fresh snow- we don't get that much in SE PA. Decent in the dry for a snow tire.

#33 ·
I'm running WR G3 on both C30s. They are good, but not perfect. BTW, they are made in Finland (wouldn't buy product from Russia, not by political motives, but by poor quality records). Before Nokian, I had Pilot Super Sport in summer, and Michilen Pilot Alpine in winter. Comparing to them, Nokian provide about 75-80% of performance for both of the tires. I would recommend them, especially for people, wanted escape hassle of storing and changing wheels or tires.

#35 ·
Good to know, that is kind of what I was hoping for in the WR G3 tires. I already have 3 sets of wheel/tires for my 335i (summer, snows, and auto-x), so I can hardly justify another set of snows for the V70r... maybe when I have more storage room...

The Volvo will also be the default sketchy-weather winter car, so I want an "all-season" that is pretty capable in the snow. The Nokians seemed like the only real option. I was thinking about the Conti DSW, but I doubted their snow ability relative to the WR G3.

#34 ·
I'm a manager for Discount Tire and have been on about 9 different kinds of winter tires. Blizzaks are the only way to go. LM-60 is what I run now and its been the best so far. Perfect balance between winter traction and handling. I have run Michelin X-Ice 2 and 3, Pilot Alpin PA3, Dunlop 3Ds, Yokohama IG20, Yokohama W-drive. We were told the LM-60s were discontinued last year, however they made a ton more this year. They replaced the WS line this year, not the LM. There are over 500 in my local warehouse, so stock shouldn't be an issue this year.

#36 ·
I've got them from tires on the web, or something similar, for pretty decent price.
Just ensure, you are not buying russian tires, I can't vouch for them.
WR G3 is real winter tires, they have snowflake sign, but you can drive in summer too. The only negative I can stress, they are somehow slippery on wet.

#37 ·
I've been very unhappy with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D. They are a "winter sport" tire rather than a snow tire. In really dangerous conditions, they are really dangerous. That's not what I want from a snow tire. After nearly sliding off Rt 93 near Cannon Mtn returning from skiing in inclement weather, I decided to leave them on all summer to use them up. True I didn't slide off as some other cars did that evening, but it was a terrible white knuckle ride, and one of many on these tires. They are also stiff, bumpy and harsh compared to my UHP summer tires. The only thing good about them is that they demonstrate how well my ABS and traction control works every time it snows. Ridiculous. I'm now searching for something grippier.

So my question is: are all "high performance" snow tires similar to the Dunlop 3D's in that snow/ice traction is sacrificed for handling? Or are some of them as grippy as "regular" snow tires, but more expensive because they also handle well? If it's always a trade off, would I not be better off with a traditional "snow tire" since I really do drive in the worst conditions?

#38 ·
Not all performance snow tires are bad in snow, I have the Blizzak LM-32s and I had zero issues on Rt 93 in horrible conditions going up to Gunstock. There was something like 1-2 feet of snow and they ended up closing Rt 93 within an hour after I got to the mountain if that gives you an idea of how bad the roads were. Best day of driving I've ever had, drifting around in 1-2 feet of snow with nobody daring enough to drive in it.

So, LM-32 as a more dry handling oriented but still a beast in the snow, or the LM-60 for more deep snow performance and less dry, but still a beast at both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.