ND Automatic transmission/Shifts rough or jerky/When downshifting

Operation Number
      VST Operation Number Description

43713-2 Automatic gearbox test drive/adaptation

DTC Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Text
      DESCRIPTION:

Note!
      If using a printed copy of this Technical Journal, first check for the latest online version.
      This Software (SW) only applies to vehicles in the list above and with Transmission Control Module
      (TCM) hardware part number (HWPN) 31312609.

If the vehicle has TCM HWPN 30751946 or 31342781, then the TCM would have to be replaced with
      HWPN 31312609 in order to accept the SW.

The downshift threshold for 2-1 gearshift has been set to 1 MPH compared to 4 MPH in the previous
      version. This change was implemented as part of several shift performance upgrades to solve rough
      shifts during the 5-4 downshift, N-D garage shift and Neutral Control.

Since the speed threshold was lowered in the latest software version, customers may experience a
      different behaviour when coming to a rolling stop, but never coming to a complete stop, followed by a
      quick acceleration.

SERVICE:
      If customer complains about a rough 2-1 downshift during a rolling stop, even though customer has
      latest TCM software, please download TCM software according to SP numbers below.
      Be aware that downloading this software will remove ALL fixes related to C1 issues, like rough 5-4
      downshifts, N-D garage shift and Neutral Control.
      SP 31456524 should be used for vehicle type
      SP 31456542 should be used for vehicle type
      Just a quick update. We just had this TJ applied to my wife's 2012 XC60 T6 RD yesterday. While I only drove it to dinner and back this evening (less than 10 miles round trip), my early assessment is that it seems to have resolved the problem introduced by Volvo with their previous software flash. I probably need to drive it a bit more, but so far so good. That previous flash was crap which is why Volvo even offered this "reversion". Oh, and we were out of warranty and given my history of transmission complaints on this EXACT issue, they comped me (note: I did ask them to have VCNA cover it).
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Multicoat Red / Black
      1997 M3 - Alpine White/Black

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I had this update applied to my vehicle as well about 6 weeks ago. Creeping along in low speed traffic is now just as smooth as it used to be prior to that unwanted "update." My service advisor did not charge me for the reflash which was nice (although I thought software updates were now supposed to be free??). The service advisor did caution me that any new updates would overwrite this flash so I think I may just make it a habit of reminding my dealer not to update my vehicle's software when it goes in for service.

I'm happy Volvo made this old software available. Thanks for listening, Volvo.
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD

Sorry about bumping an old thread but I have a 2013 XC60 T6 with 62K miles and it just started having the exact same issue described in this thread. I did take it to the dealer and after the mechanic drove it he said the trans needs to be replaced. He did not do any diagnostics or anything like that. He just said that it is down shifting hard which is a sign of an internal issue with the trans. If it was happening at different speeds then I might agree with him but it only happens when coasting or braking at low speed which seems to be the issue other posters in this thread experienced. I saw this thread after I left the dealership so I will have to make another appointment. I have a couple of questions. Will having the original software applied cause it have other issues? How do I know which vehicle type I have (as listed in the TSB):

SP 31456524 should be used for vehicle type
      SP 31456542 should be used for vehicle type

This software seems to reverse other attempted fixes that Volvo made along the way, but frankly it seems to be the best of the bunch. The 6 speed in these cars is never going to be awesome I'm afraid. It looks like it covers almost all of them from 2011-2015
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Multicoat Red / Black
      1997 M3 - Alpine White/Black

Quote Originally Posted by bpb1970 View Post
      Will having the original software applied cause it have other issues?
      Here's a data point for you:
      Before my XC60 got the unwanted software with the stupid 2-1 downshift, I never noticed any drivability issues with the transmission. With the the stupid software, only the 2-1 stuck out to me as being AWFUL. Now that I'm back to the pre-stupid software with the smooth 2-1 downshift, everything performs as I expect. I have no other issues with my vehicle.
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2