SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Strut Problem 2003 Volvo V 70 T5

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pkarlsson 
#1 ·
2003 Volvo V70 T5 325000 km
Problem with my left front strut.
Had my shocks and struts replaced when on vacation last February in Florida.
Six months after I returned home my left front strut seemed like it needed to be
replaced again as it was hammering when you would drive over a bump on the road.
Had the strut removed for inspection by a x Volvo dealer tech.
He said that the washer on top of the bump stop was causing the problem so removed it.
Now, the ride is normal and no hammering however I am concerned that the washer
# 117300099 should be there as the bump stop may be damaged from hitting
the bottom of the strut cover.
Comments.
Dave

#2 · (Edited)
Washer 117300099

Dave,

I have experienced the same problem with the left strut on my 2006 S60, very annoying hard noise when going over uneven road. It started when I replaced my original Volvo Struts with Spectrum struts from Monroe/ Tenneco. In my first attempt I didn't use (missed the remark that it should be re-used) the washer 117300099 and everything looked fine (smooth ride, no noise) for about half a year when my right side strut suddenly failed, the piston came through the top coil spring seat and hit the hod. I went back and found the Monroe statement about washer 117300099 must be re-used. I installed the washers after replacing the coil spring seats on both sides but then the terrible hard noise on the left side started. I drove with that noise for over a year thinking something else caused it. However, today I decided to check the struts again and tried to turn the washer upside down (after studying old pictures of my original struts seeing that the orientation of the washer was contrary to what I had), the flat side is now facing upwards. That made all the difference. The noise is gone! The picture shows the correct orientation of the 117300099 washer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.