SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

S80 Buyers Guide - What to Look For and Pros/Cons of Models

46K views 182 replies 24 participants last post by  Warpedcow 
#1 ·
Hello All.

I've searched almost the entire 2007-Current S80 thread for something similar to the above title, but was unable to find anything like it... that someone already had written up. If I missed it, I apologize. Last thing I want to do is 'rehash' someone's questions that were already asked.

So, my wife and I will be in the market for another vehicle in the next year or so, and we're happy to say (despite a costly transmission repair to our 06' XC90 V8) that it's likely going to be another Volvo. I've (sort of) narrowed it down to a V70 (even a V70R), which would be more 'practical' for us... for trips up to the cabin, hauling light loads and even somewhere to put a future dog when going away. Then there's the S80, which I very much like the look of, especially the 2007+.

I've gotten some S80 transmission info. already (thanks to Snowin and v95), but I have some more questions and things to bounce off you guys when time permits.

So, here we go:

- I see the V8 model gets high praises from quite a few people here on SS... but what about the AWD 3.2 T6? I'm seeing quite a few more of those for sale. Are there more issues with those to be concerned about when buying? I know Volvo didn't produce as many V8s, but just wondering how folks that have the AWD 3.2 T6 like them. Any pros/cons with this model vs. the V8? This is where you guys come in!

- We have the 4.4L V8 in the XC90 we have (and love it)... and we get pretty decent gas mileage with it, especially for a V8. What are most folks getting for mileage with the V8 S80s? I would assume there's a weight difference between the two, and also aerodynamic differences... so maybe a tad higher?!? I think we average ~22mpg combined (in warmer months) on 87 octane, no 'lead foot' driving.

- Besides the valve body issue with the 2006 S80s and early 07s (if I'm correct), are there any other 'major' known issues to look out for with the V8 S80s? I'm more than confident on that Yamaha engine... but any other things to be aware of?

- I thought I caught someone asking about doing a rear brake job on an S80 here on SS recently, and VIDA/DiCE was mentioned that it was needed... is that true? Why is it needed? I didn't think it would be on something such as a brake job.

- Is there a simple Service Reminder Reset procedure for them? or is a special tool needed (like my 98' S70)? If so, which MY does it apply to?

- Is the Dynaudio option worth holding out for? I've only seen a few comments on it, and folks that have it seem to love it. I wish I would've held out for the in the XC90 we bought, but at the time, the one we bought seemed like a nice vehicle... but the stereo kinda sucks. :(

- How about other options... like the cooled seats, BLIS system, active cruise control, bi-active Xenons, etc. What do folks like the most? I know the saying goes, "once you have the option you really like it" or something like that. I figure, if I'm buying a car, I'm going to get the options that I want with it since I'm spending the $ and will be spending a good deal of time in it. I want to enjoy at as much as possible.

If there's anything else you guys can think of to share for the S80s during the shopping experience, I would greatly appreciate it. I do like the look of the V70s, and even the S60s... but the 60s are a tad small. I'll check the V70 thread to read up on those.

Take care guys. Thanks for your time.

Gregg

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have the 2007 S80 3.2L FWD model (see tag) and while I find the 3.2L fine, if you want a more sporty model (and can stand the lower gas mileage), then I would suggest you look for the V8 model.

As for the 3.2L model, this engine has been used across the model line-up for Volvo since 2007 and some owners have had problems with higher than normal oil consumption issues. Best bet is to search the forums and see for yourself. I'm hoping that my high mileage S80 is one of the "good ones" or at least that has had the pistons/rings replaced under warranty (I have limited maintenance records from the dealer for prior owners).

#4 ·
"I see the V8 model gets high praises from quite a few people here on SS... but what about the AWD 3.2 T6? I'm seeing quite a few more of those for sale. Are there more issues with those to be concerned about when buying? I know Volvo didn't produce as many V8s, but just wondering how folks that have the AWD 3.2 T6 like them. Any pros/cons with this model vs. the V8? This is where you guys come in!"

The turbo model is actually a 3.0. The 3.2s are all naturally aspirated. From what I have heard people have been pretty happy with 3.0 Turbo. Seems to be about as fast as the v8 model and get a bit better gas mileage. The v8 sounds better though.

"How about other options... like the cooled seats, BLIS system, active cruise control, bi-active Xenons, etc. What do folks like the most? I know the saying goes, "once you have the option you really like it" or something like that. I figure, if I'm buying a car, I'm going to get the options that I want with it since I'm spending the $ and will be spending a good deal of time in it. I want to enjoy at as much as possible."

My favourite option is the active cruise control. It makes long distance traveling so much more relaxing. I didn't think it was that big a deal until I got the S80 and now I will never own a car without it.

"If there's anything else you guys can think of to share for the S80s during the shopping experience, I would greatly appreciate it. I do like the look of the V70s, and even the S60s... but the 60s are a tad small. I'll check the V70 thread to read up on those."
S80s are a great deal used and I am very happy with mine. Don't discount the 3.2 models. The later ones with the updated transmission programing are decently quick and they make a nice sound. I am happy with mine. Good luck.

#5 ·
"As for the 3.2L model, this engine has been used across the model line-up for Volvo since 2007 and some owners have had problems with higher than normal oil consumption issues. Best bet is to search the forums and see for yourself. I'm hoping that my high mileage S80 is one of the "good ones" or at least has had the pistons/rings replaced under warranty (I have limited maintenance records from the dealer for prior owners)."

Yeah you and me both.
/Crosses fingers

#6 ·
I have both an S80 V8, as well as an XC90 V8. Both get almost identical fuel mileage. I average about 24mpg highway in both cars. Both are high mileage cars and have had no major engine or transmission repairs. (Really no major repairs of any sort. Just normal maintenance stuff.) I can't say enough good things about the V8 Volvos.

#8 ·
SullyE, what's your budget? That will help us give you more relevant advice.
The T6 motor got improvements in 2011 (more HP/torque/MPG due to low friction internals). If you can afford a 2011+ S80 T6 do it! Also consider the 2011+ XC70 T6 if you want the wagon form factor.
If 2011+ is out of your price range, then go for the S80 V8.

#102 ·
Hey Guys,

Me again. Well, a few weeks have passed, tax refunds have been received... and now it's time to shop!

I've been looking at/watching a few S80s over the past month or so... and even test drove a local 2010 T6, with 107K a few weeks ago. I liked the car, but some 'shady' body work disappointed me somewhat. I haven't ruled it out, but it disappointed me nonetheless.

My question for the day is... regarding the above quote from Warped, are there any major issues in the 2010 MY S80 T6s to be leery of? Warped had mentioned, if I can afford the 2011... do it. I think a 2011 is a bit out of the budget, but I have seen quite a few decent 2010s, some with lower miles and some with higher miles.

Would a 2010 T6 with, say, 90K+ on it be something to stay away from? If one would be purchased, what would folks need/want to do for a 100K maintenance? Just asking, so I know what additional cost I would incur, in addition to the price paid for the car. Thinking that could possibly be used as 'ammo' during the negotiation process that we all love doing so much. :)

Thanks to all.

#9 ·
- We have the 4.4L V8 in the XC90 we have (and love it)... and we get pretty decent gas mileage with it, especially for a V8. What are most folks getting for mileage with the V8 S80s? I would assume there's a weight difference between the two, and also aerodynamic differences... so maybe a tad higher?!? I think we average ~22mpg combined (in warmer months) on 87 octane, no 'lead foot' driving.
Our XC70 T6 gets about 3 MPG better than our S80 V8, even though the wagon is heavier and taller.
The only real advantage for the V8 is the sound from the factory, but you can make the T6 sound very nice with exhaust modification...

- I thought I caught someone asking about doing a rear brake job on an S80 here on SS recently, and VIDA/DiCE was mentioned that it was needed... is that true? Why is it needed? I didn't think it would be on something such as a brake job.
Nearly all P3 Volvos have an electric parking brake, so to change rear pads/rotors you need VIDA to set the EPB in "service mode" OR you can just unbolt the electric motor part entirely. Easy enough either way, but it's faster to just click a button in VIDA.

- Is there a simple Service Reminder Reset procedure for them? or is a special tool needed (like my 98' S70)? If so, which MY does it apply to?
Yes, it's very simple, I think there is a thread sticky-ed with this...

- Is the Dynaudio option worth holding out for? I've only seen a few comments on it, and folks that have it seem to love it. I wish I would've held out for the in the XC90 we bought, but at the time, the one we bought seemed like a nice vehicle... but the stereo kinda sucks. :(
Our S80 has Dynaudio, the XC70 does not. Dynaudio is a lot better. That said, the "standard" system is still quite nice. We take our 3000+ mile road trips in the wagon, mostly because T6 loves the mountains and the V8 doesn't.

- How about other options... like the cooled seats
Cooled seats are AWESOME. No idea why Volvo only offers them on the S80 in the USA and no other models. In Europe you can get them on the V70, XC70, and probably other models too.

#10 ·
The ABL Xenon lights are great and you can easily adjust the high beams higher yourself from the factory setting. The 2011+ FWD 3.2L engine also got friction lowering mods and has yielded 29-30 mpg for our 17k miles so far.

#11 ·
My wife currently drives a 2010 T6 Executive and I've had many other variations of the S80 to play with since the release, including the V8. My take is as follows:

If you want exclusivity, buy the V8. People in the know will know what you have and will appreciate it. It's a subtlety unique car and they generally come pretty well optioned.

If you are aiming for economy, buy the 3.2 FWD. It does extraordinarily well for a car of it's size.

If you want the AWD and power but don't fancy paying the extra price for the V8, get the T6.

There is no wrong choice on drive train, just a matter of priorities on your part.

The 07's did have some oil consumption issues. I've seen quite a bit of that, but most just keep adding oil and not all are even aware they have the issues. I would skip the first year of production just on principle.
-------------------------------

My favorite option is the adaptive cruise control. It's a fantastic option for a touring car.

2nd: keyless start. It’s such a fantastic thing. Why would anyone option a car without it?

3nd: I love a wooden steering wheel. Silly, I know, but I really like it. There are very hard to come by used, and expensive to pick up new, but an easy enough mod to add later when second hand steering wheels become more readily available.

4rd: the premium sound option. The stock system is nice, but how can more not be better?

5th: HID headlights. No explanation necessary.

6th: Navigation. *shrug* I like it.

7th: the cooled seats. It's a nice option especially for trips in dress shirts when you are not trying to get damp. Turn the vent and the heat on to stay completely dry.

8th: the massaging seats. Some will disagree, but I don't rank this very high. It's a swell bragging feature, but not all it's cracked up to be. It does add electronic lumbar support, but if you have every sat in a car with electronic lumbar and ran the settings up and down your back, you have already experienced a "massaging" seat.

9th: Lane departure warning. This one is growing on me and if given enough time, I would probably move it much higher on the list.

10th: BLIS. Safety yada yada, and the blinking light. I can't think of a time I've ever actually noticed a benefit.

11th: the electronic suspension. I would not intentionally buy this option. Expensive long term, and I've never heard anyone wish they had it. The factory "sport" suspension with the lower ride height yes, but not the 4C.

Am I missing any available options? I assume blue tooth, sunroof, and heated seats should be standard in this buying decision.

My executive has headphone jacks and individual volume controls for the rear seats, and I don't know how common an option that is, but I would rank it as fairly useless.

I asked my wife which options she liked best and she said wouldn't be without the heated/cooled/massaging seats, keyless start, the HID adaptive head lamps, the premium sound, and the lane departure system. She was indifferent to the Navigation, cruise control, and BLIS.

-------------------------------

One note on the drive train using my wife as a point of reference:

Before the S80 she had a 06 XC70. There was much debate over what her replacement car would be and she loved her XC70. At the time I had a CLK500, and I threatened to get her a Mercedes with a V8. Her response to the threat was, “what would I do with all that power?” When she started driving the S80 one of her first comments on the car was, “I like the power!”

My wife doesn’t care much about car performance, but I would suspect that whatever her next car is, in addition to having to be similarly optioned, it will probably also have to be similarly powerful. She doesn’t miss her XC70 at all.

If you and your wife are used to the performance of the XC90 V8, the 3.2 may not measure up well.

-------------------------------------

The only bits I would caution against would be the 4C suspension and the first year of production.

#13 ·
...or you can get the essentially optionless V8 like me, because a strong engine and AWD is all a man really needs ;)

but seriously, get heated and if you can, cooled seats.

#14 ·
I'd add "and a good woman!" ;)

#19 ·
My wife has had 3 S80s -- all T6 -- an /08, a /10 and now a /13. The first two were leased and driven 30,000 and 45,000 miles, respectively. Really no issues at all with the /08. We had that one for two years. The /10 had two very minor warranty issues -- bad AM reception (a fairly common issue with the antenna) and a creaking body/frame mount that was quickly diagnosed and never heard again. The /13 is a different animal than the two previous cars since it has the lower friction motor, dynamic (sport) suspension, hid head lights, remote start and a few other goodies -- much more fun car to drive than the /08 or the /10. Only problem thus far has been headlights not aimed high enough (I took care of that myself with some able advice from warpedcow and itwontstopsnowin) and streaky wiper blades that dealer gladly replaced. This car now has 16,500 miles. Conclusion: in the short run the S80 T6 is very solid. I'm not sure how things will be north of 50,000 miles but suspect that as long as car is properly maintained (by the way, I'm a bit........well, a lot.......old school so oil and filter get changed every 3500-4000 miles with synthetic -- cheap insurance IMHO) there should not be any really nasty surprises. However, be mindful that this is not a Honda/Acura or a Toyota and there is a good chance that things will require attention in a higher mileage S80 that you may well not encounter in a Toyota/Honda/Acura with similar mileage assuming proper maintenance. Choice bewteen 3.2, T6 or V8 obviously a personal matter. I found the 3.2 to be too tepid for my liking and given the rarity of the V8 local dealers never had one to drive. Thus we went with the "mama bear" choice and have been pleased with the T6. And by the way, our gas mileage in the /13 is significantly better than the /08 and the /10. The transmission sport setting in the /13 transforms the car from stately cruiser to manical if you put your foot into it. As I recall neither the /08 nor the /10 had this feature.

Best,
Jeff

#22 ·
Conclusion: in the short run the S80 T6 is very solid. I'm not sure how things will be north of 50,000 miles but suspect that as long as car is properly maintained (by the way, I'm a bit........well, a lot.......old school so oil and filter get changed every 3500-4000 miles with synthetic -- cheap insurance IMHO) there should not be any really nasty surprises.
Our XC70 actually has more miles than our S80. (72k vs 67k miles)
The T6 is still solid as can be along with the rest of the wagon. Uses zero oil between 7500 mile oil changes.

#20 ·
Oh, i didn't know that, thanks for the info. Generally where I live most used S80's (~2007-2010) are 2.0 4-cyl ford engines (ridiculously underpowered at 145hp) or the more appropriate 2.5T 5-cyl volvo engines ranging from ~200-250 HP depending on whether they have been Polestar optimized or not.. The 3.2L are very rare and i dont think I've seen a V8 for sale at all - sadly. Stupid 180% car sales tax..

#21 ·
Yeah, Swedespeed is a pretty US-market-specific forum. So keep that in the back of your mind when reading most posts.
We certainly do like hearing from folks in other markets though! Usually we're jealous of the options you have available...

#23 ·
Sorry guys, been away for a few days... haven't had a chance to check back.

I am overwhelmed with the amount of helpful advice/information given here, MANY thanks to all. Great info. to know and be aware of. It will definitely help when it comes time to seriously look and eventually buy. Hopefully others come to SS and see this very helpful thread. Again, I thank you.

Sorry for my confusion between the engines, an oversight on my part. I now have them straight.

As far as a budget goes, hopefully by the end of 2015 (or roughly a year from now), the wife and I should have enough cash saved up for a decent down payment on something, or possibly the entire cost. We both feel like $18k should get us a decent vehicle. From the used 2007-08 S80s around here in SE WI... $18k would be plenty. There's an AWD V8 S80 with 60k miles on it, loaded with Dynaudio and a lot of other 'extras' for $16,995. I'd love to go look at it, but then I'd likely want to buy it. The wife just won't have any part of that right now... as a car payment isn't in the current budget. :(

I'm also still not 100% sure it would be an S80... but it's a strong candidate. I love the looks, and from the way it sounds, most folks are very please with theirs. I'm considering a V70 as well, which as I mentioned, would be a bit more practical for us... but we'll see what's available at the time.

I've heard people say... you'll own Volvos longer than you want to, and I'm starting to believe in that saying! :)

Thanks again guys.

Gregg

#26 ·
As far as a budget goes, hopefully by the end of 2015 (or roughly a year from now), the wife and I should have enough cash saved up for a decent down payment on something, or possibly the entire cost. We both feel like $18k should get us a decent vehicle. From the used 2007-08 S80s around here in SE WI... $18k would be plenty. There's an AWD V8 S80 with 60k miles on it, loaded with Dynaudio and a lot of other 'extras' for $16,995. I'd love to go look at it, but then I'd likely want to buy it. The wife just won't have any part of that right now... as a car payment isn't in the current budget. :(
I assume you're talking about the V8 down in Illinois. I was going to stop and look at it while I was down there but I think if I were to ever get another S80 it would be a 2009 or 2010 V8 to make sure it had the executive package. If you can afford one of those I'd look into it.

As far as the T6 is concerned, $18K is plenty around here. Trade in values are pretty crappy for the 2007-2009 T6 right now, and likely will continue to be, so I'd keep my eyes peeled for private sellers as well if you're willing to go that route. You could get a 2008 T6 for $12-14K, or less, depending on the mileage since many people may be looking to get a bit more for their cars rather than trading them in. A year from now they'll likely be even cheaper.

Also, take note that since Jenkins in Milwaukee closed your closest dealer is going to be all the way in Waukesha which is a bit of a trek from Racine. Granted, that only matters if you're a dealership person. I personally think that Field's in Waukesha is worth the drive but I also live closer. Very nice dealership and awesome service people to work with.

#24 · (Edited)
As a point of reference, I bought my '09 V70 (which is just an S80 3.2 with a big box on its ass) at 3 years old with 75k mi but near perfect cosmetic condition for $17.5k from a local Volvo dealer. There should be plenty of cars in your price range. Worst case, look for a good P2 car. I'll never advocate going above one's budget for a car, but fortunately Volvo made some really great stuff once they worked out the kinks on that platform. Shoot for '04+.

SullyE said:
I've heard people say...you'll own Volvos longer than you want to, and I'm starting to believe in that saying!
I've never heard that but it rings true enough to comment. My Volvos have needed a whole lot more TLC than the Honda and Toyota that I owned between them. It was my electrical basket-case S70 that drove me away. In retrospect I probably should have left emotion out of the equation and kept it. The subsequent Honda and Toyota were fine, but they lacked the visceral "solidness" and comfort that the preceding Volvos gave me. As of 28 months ago I'm back to Volvo. Today I'd honestly rather maintain the current Volvo as needed than go back to low-maintenance but utterly appliance-like cars.

#27 ·
As a point of reference, I bought my '09 V70 (which is just an S80 3.2 with a big box on its ass) at 3 years old with 75k mi but near perfect cosmetic condition for $17.5k from a local Volvo dealer. There should be plenty of cars in your price range. Worst case, look for a good P2 car. I'll never advocate going above one's budget for a car, but fortunately Volvo made some really great stuff once they worked out the kinks on that platform. Shoot for '04+.

I've never heard that but it rings true enough to comment. My Volvos have needed a whole lot more TLC than the Honda and Toyota that I owned between them. It was my electrical basket-case S70 that drove me away. In retrospect I probably should have left emotion out of the equation and kept it. The subsequent Honda and Toyota were fine, but they lacked the visceral "solidness" and comfort that the preceding Volvos gave me. As of 28 months ago I'm back to Volvo. Today I'd honestly rather maintain the current Volvo as needed than go back to low-maintenance but utterly appliance-like cars.
Agree with your last setence as regards Toyota Camry and Honda Accord. Gen III Acura TL (/04-08) much more like an E39 BMW (5-series /99-2003) and very "un-appliance-like". I have hedged my bets. One bullet proof /06 Acura TL with 128,000 trouble-free miles and one /13 S80T6. I'm willing to bet that the TL goes 175,000+ miles trouble-free with much less attention than our S80 will need over similar mileage. Not knocking our S80 -- it is a more complicated machine than the TL with more stuff to go wrong including turbo, AWD, ABL headlights, BLIS, etc. However, I find the TL just as solid as the Volvo and much more pleasant to drive in the City as it is much lighter on its feet. Real reason for the S80 is our 10 year old -- got into some hot water with wife when she figured out why the 3 Volvos materialized after he came on the scene. She was glad to be in the Volvos with the little guy but there were some questions along the lines of "why didn't you put me in a Volvo before he arrived?"

#25 ·
I highly recommend BLIS and I really think that Volvo should make it standard across the board. The Inscription Package offered on 2011 and newer models makes the already luxurious interior even more impressive. The Inscription interior includes Perforated Heated and Ventilated Seats in Off-Black, Soft Beige, Espresso/Soft-Beige or Toscana Tan/Off-Black (2011-2013). For 2014, the two-tone colors were dropped and Chestnut Leather was added as a third choice to Soft Beige and Off-Black. You will find that most S80s with the Inscription Package also have most of the other available options including the premium audio system.

After reading your posting (and because I had nothing else to do after Thanksgiving dinner), I spent some time researching year-to-year changes to the S80. Here are the significant changes-

2009- Bluetooth hands-free phone interface, Watch-dial instrument cluster and Satellite radio prep made standard on all models.

2010- Exterior styling and trim details 'freshened' (mostly minor)

2011- Inscription Package introduced
V8 model dropped
T6 engine boosted by 19hp and 30lb-ft of torque to effectively replace V8

2012-
Instrument panel and console redesigned
City Safety and Volvo Sensus w/ 7" hi-def display added

2013- Keyless Drive and Tunnel Detection (headlights) added

2014-
Front and rear fascia redesigned
Adaptive TFT display instrument panel added
New 3-spoke steering wheel
T6- revised shift management software improved acceleration and increased fuel economy.

2015-
3.2 model replaced by T5 Drive-E as entry-level S80

I travel for my job at least 40 weeks out of the year, so I spend a lot of time in rental cars. I perform audits and fraud investigations for commercial insurance companies and work on a contract basis. Back when I was a newbie, I had some godawful rental experiences, usually in Toyota Crapollas and Dodge Avengers. Several years ago, I added a clause to my contract stating that I rent from the 'Premium Car' category or above.

In 2012 and early 2013, my rental was a Volvo S60 most of the time. When they didn't have an S60 available, I usually ended up in an Infiniti G25. I quickly fell in love with the S60 and always looked forward to driving them. Even when I got a the most basic T5 with no options and with the T-Tec/textile interior, I still enjoyed the car.

Since mid-2013, I have rented an S80 on numerous occasions and the XC60 several times. The S80 only sold 1,935 units in 2013 and 2014 YTD sales are slightly lower than 2013. With such low sales volume, it's not surprising that more S80s are showing in rental fleets. Several local dealers have actually sold S80s (and XC90s) off their lot to rental agencies just to move the inventory.

The first time that I rented an S80, it was a 2013 S80 3.2. They didn't have any S60s available and the rental agent told me they had a brand new S80 out back that hadn't even been entered into their system yet. I could have the S80 if I was willing to wait 30 minutes for them to process it….otherwise, I'd be driving a Ford Taurus Limited for the week. I gladly waited for them to get the S80 ready and it had 19 miles on the odometer when I drove it off the lot.

I wasn't expecting to like the S80, especially in 3.2 form, but the car's innate qualities won me over very quickly. It was very comfortable and everything from the interior design and materials to the steering feel and ride comfort said "quality" and "luxury". It lacked the punch of the S60 T5's turbo 5-cylinder, but the 3.2L I-6 was very well matched to the character and feel of the S80. It never felt slow or lacking for power and was buttery smooth in comparison the S60 T5. I was also impressed that it only had three options- Twilight Bronze Metallic paint, BLIS and Heated Front Seats, and it still managed to look so upscale inside and out. It took me a few days to realize that it didn't have a Moonroof!

As I mentioned earlier, I have also rented an XC60 on several occasions. They all had the 3.2L engine and most were front-wheel drive, but I did get an all-wheel-drive one time. While I liked the XC60 overall, I was disappointed and rather surprised by the performance with the 3.2L engine. It's amazing how different the same engine feels and performs in two different models! In the FWD models, it was no more than adequate in most situations and felt underpowered in passing/merging situations when a quick burst of power was needed. The additional weight of AWD made the 3.2L borderline-underpowered and it felt strained much of the time.

On three occasions (so far), I've lucked out and found 'T6 AWD' badging on the back of my rental S80! The first one was a beautiful medium blue called Biarritz Blue and I fell in LUST the first time I floored it merging into L.A. freeway traffic! The 6-speed Geartronic instantly downshifted from 6th to 3rd and the rush of power was enough to push me back into my seat. The engine noise is muted in the S80, but the T6 still makes a sexy snarl at throttle. The T6 also handles better than the 3.2 without sacrificing ride quality. My favorite thing about the T6 is the "wolf in sheep's clothing" personality. One time a jerk driving a Chevy Tahoe refused to let me merge in front of him even though the on-ramp acceleration lane was ending. I floored it and had no problem getting ahead and then in front of him. The look on his face in the rearview mirror was priceless! He was shocked that a large Volvo sedan had just OWNED his @ss! =)

From all that I've heard and read over the last few years, any oil burning issues with the S80 have been the 3.2L engine. And any issues with the 3.2L, oil burning or otherwise, are very uncommon and only represent a fraction of a percentage of the 3.2s out there. The T6's 3.0L turbo has an excellent reliability record by almost all accounts.

I hope this helps and sorry for being so long-winded.

#32 ·
Guys,

Thanks again for the plethora of input and comparisons, etc. I'll refer back to this as the next year approaches... and once we get some $$ saved up.

I was hesitant in creating this thread... hoping I wasn't repeating one, but now I'm glad I did. Some real good info. here.

I appreciate your guys' time in writing up the responses. I'll be sure to post back when we buy, with what we found! :)

Take care.

Gregg

#33 ·
The look on his face in the rearview mirror was priceless! He was shocked that a large Volvo sedan had just OWNED his @ss! =)

Hilarious.

Thanks for the share! :)

#34 ·
At one point when I was researching 2012 S80s I wondered why Volvo engineers upped the HP and torque for the AWD T6 model. The AWD model with the T6 engine weighs 300 pounds more than the FWD 3.2L model. More weight means more engine power is needed to handle in a similar manner...granted the turbo effect at low RPMs may give one the sensation of greater performance.

Moonroofs were standard on USA S80s in 2012. Our OSD S80 did not have a moonroof because we chose the moonroof delete option on our OSD order. The new bronze S80 you rented probably was an OSD vehicle that the owners traded in as soon as it arrived at their dealer's lot.

#35 ·
At one point when I was researching 2012 S80s I wondered why Volvo engineers upped the HP and torque for the AWD T6 model. The AWD model with the T6 engine weighs 300 pounds more than the FWD 3.2L model.
Probably 200 of those 300 lbs is the AWD system.
The 3.2 and T6 both got lower friction internals in 2011 which upped MPG, HP, and torque. The T6 also got a slight boost increase in order that it would match the peak torque rating of the discontinued V8 option. (The T6 actually has more torque than the V8 from about 1800 RPM to 3500 RPM).

#36 ·
Hi All.

We're getting a bit more serious about looking/buying in the near future (maybe a month or 2, after the tax refund comes in)... and I have a few more questions regarding S80s, both V8s and T6s. I've got my mind set on AWD, that's for sure... but haven't quite decided on a V8 or T6. I'm keeping an open mind. I'm hoping to test drive a 2010 T6 here in SE WI in the next few days, just to see how I like it... and 'sort of' compare it to our V8 XC90. I know, they're 2 totally different vehicles, but still would like to drive it. The other (2) I am interested in are out of state... so time will tell if I get to those or not.

Anyways, here we go:

1.) Does anyone know if the T6s run fine (and basically 'accept') 87 octane gasoline like the V8 does? That was a big factor when we bought our XC90. I read the V8 has no issues with 87, which we haven't seen. I know gas prices are down now, but I'm sure some pipeline will burst this year, and prices will skyrocket again... for whatever reason. If anyone can offer insight on fuel types for the different motors, I'd appreciate it. I even read a description for a V8 for sale that had 'premium' fuel listed for it... so it's things like that, that make me wonder.

2.) Getting back to Dynaudio for a second. Is there any 'easy' way to tell if an S80 has it or not... if it doesn't have the little badge next to the navigation when equipped? I'm only seeing select V8s with the Dynaudio, and that's one feature I'd like to check out and likely have. I missed out getting it in our XC90 and I'd really like it in the next car.

There was a third question, but I can't recall right now. It's been a long day...

Thanks in advance for the info. This thread has been great, I've referred to it many times already when I forget something! :thumbup:

#42 ·
Anyways, here we go:

1.) Does anyone know if the T6s run fine (and basically 'accept') 87 octane gasoline like the V8 does? That was a big factor when we bought our XC90. I read the V8 has no issues with 87, which we haven't seen. I know gas prices are down now, but I'm sure some pipeline will burst this year, and prices will skyrocket again... for whatever reason. If anyone can offer insight on fuel types for the different motors, I'd appreciate it. I even read a description for a V8 for sale that had 'premium' fuel listed for it... so it's things like that, that make me wonder.

2.) Getting back to Dynaudio for a second. Is there any 'easy' way to tell if an S80 has it or not... if it doesn't have the little badge next to the navigation when equipped? I'm only seeing select V8s with the Dynaudio, and that's one feature I'd like to check out and likely have. I missed out getting it in our XC90 and I'd really like it in the next car.
2009 S80 owners manual:
http://www.volvocars.com/~/media/fi.../11/11/12/57/2009 volvo s80 owners manual.pdf

From page 199:
Volvo recommends premium fuel for best performance, but using 87 octane or above will not affect engine reliability.
Volvo engines are designed to achieve rated horsepower, torque, and fuel economy performance using premium 91 octane fuel.
This quote from the manual applies to ALL Volvo engines.

I run 91+ on both our V8 and T6. I can't imagine using 87. The T6 will probably drop 20-30 HP (less boost and timing) and the V8 probably drops 15-20 HP (retarded timing). Retarded timing will also drop your MPG. Also, it may need to run a "safer" A/F ratio on 87 (more rich) which again means another drop in MPG.

If you think you "cant afford" to fill up your Volvo with 91 all the time, then you're buying a car that's just too expensive for you. Maybe look for an older T6 rather than a newer one to save that money so you can afford the better gas? Also, the T6 gets way better MPG than the V8. (Our XC70 T6 always gets about 3 MPG more on the highway than our S80 V8, even though the XC is heavier and less aerodynamic!) You'd spend way less on 91 octane for the T6 than you would on 87 for the V8, all else being equal.

Regarding Dynaudio, if there is a center channel speaker, there is Dynaudio. If there is no nav, cars without Dynaudio will not even have a grille there on the center of the dash.
So really it's obvious from a photo whether it has Dynaudio or not as long as it does not have nav. If it does have nav, you can easily check using the radio controls, go into the tuning settings (where you set bass/treble levels) and there will be a setting in there for Stereo vs 3 Channel vs Surround on cars with Dynaudio but that will not be there for cars without Dynaudio.

#37 ·
Sully, these questions you ask about gas grades... The car calls for premium, put in premium. Even at $.40 more per gallon this is not significant enough of a cost "saving" to justify doing it. You may never know how much money you save by operating the car correctly, but good gas is important to the longevity of the engine.

Besides, even if you use a lower octane fuel and the engine takes it, your MPG will drop and negate whatever money you "saved."

Ask for question #2) any car equipped with Dynaudio will have a badge on the center channel speaker on the top of the dash in about the same location with or without navigation.

#38 ·
Thanks prolix. I appreciate the info.

Regarding the gas grades, I'd do whatever the car (or owners manual says). I wasn't concerned about the cost savings and mpg (per se), but more so what the T6 owners would have to say about the fuel they use in theirs. I don't want to start a debate here, that's the last thing I want... but rather gathering info on the different models. The manual for our XC90 says '87 octane' is perfectly acceptable for the 4.4L V8 engine... so that's what we use, and haven't had any issues. Knock on wood...

Like I said, I haven't test driven any S80s yet... but when I do, I'll be sure to check the manual for a T6 (I'm sure it's online somewhere as well) to see what it has to say about fuel type/grade.

Take care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.