MVI_S60R BUILD Thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

c3 MVI_S60R BUILD Thread

Exactly one year from this thread post, I joined Swedespeed. Learned just about everything I know about R's on here. I will document anything I do to my caR in this thread along with useful tips and tricks.

A few of you may know me from posting everywhere and a few of you that I sold items to in the classifieds. I'm on Swedespeed everyday via my Tapatalk app.

I am very anal in my oil changes (3.5K w/Amsoil 0W-40) and even more anal in my cleanliness of the car. I run a small auto detailing company at home so I have a lot of chemicals and machines at my disposal. I would honestly eat off any surface of the car, inside and out... But the previous owner of the caR took very good care of it and I keep it at show-quality all the time.

Anyway, on to my R background. I was handed over the keys to my R on July 31, 2013. It took me about 2 months to find an R, nothing was near Ohio. I was about to order an R from NY, it was sonic, body kitted, modded already and was a M66. BUT, a day before I pulled the trigger on that R, I got a notification that an R was up for sale an hour away from me. My R was automatic, Magic Blue, and had no body kit but did have Anthracite Pegs. So why would I go with the R near me? Well the details were on the paper. Here are some pics that the dealer took of it while it was in their lot. These are the only pics I saw of her.

My R presale 1 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      My R presale 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr

So what made my R stand out was its service record. Apparently the previous owner had cracked the block in the engine, with 76500 some miles. So he had the entire engine and turbo replaced with a brand new setup. That was back in 2012, when there was still a few new R engines. I didn't really believe it, rebuilt at best, but I went to Volvo/Acura Motorcars of Cleveland where they did it and got the official records of the service. The engine is a hell of a lot cleaner than the transmission so it must have been changed. Also drinks no oil/coolant either.

So after I bought her, I didn't do much to it other than a stage 0 until after I joined SS. The first two below are dead stock pics. The latter few are when I did the plugs and the Snabb Intake. It was to my surprise that the plugs were Ford. But when I had the cylinders open, I was able to take a look in into them. Clean as a whistle, bare metal with just a little a little spot of carbon on a few of them. This is when I realized that this engine must have been new.

Stock R 1.1 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Stock R 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      S60R spark plug change 2013 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      S60R spark plug change 2013 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr

Soon after, I decided to change the stock 4300K D2R bulbs, with 10000K Maxlux D2C bulbs. Some people do not like the blueness of them, but I think they are an aid in the winter and they look OK. I also did a whole IPD turboback exhaust. The last owner put the IPD catback already, I just changed the clamps to bigger stainless ones. I took it to a friend of mine in Cleveland for the downpipe just because he had a big lift that would be easier to do it on. But before I did the downpipe, it started to snow and I got to have my first snow R experience. Now I see how bad the R is in the snow, especially with my Goodyear F1 All Seasons, they sucked a** in the snow. The R AWD is definitely geared towards track only. But here is a video from when my friend and I visited a church parking lot.

After the day we did the video, I got the downpipe installed and I absolutely love the sound of the turbo inside the cabin now. Nothing much happened until winter ended except I put in my IPD R gauge, still pulling 15 PSI strong!
      So for a couple months until winter blew away, I did really nothing except change the oil every 3K. But in April, I got tired of all the turbo flutter and I pulled the trigger on a Forge CBV. Before hand, I read a crap ton of threads saying that flutter isn't bad, it is bad, whatever. In my opinion, I think it isn't devastating, but twisting that shaft with the intake side fluttering like that isn't such a good thing, (kind of like at the end of the video above). The old CBV was clean, it barely had miles on it, but the Forge CBV definitely makes the difference. I hold pressure a lot better now and the fluttering is not as bad. When I'm pulling towards 15 PSI, I just slowly let the pressure on the pedal go so the turbo slows down a little, letting the engine inhale more boost instead of it being dumped to the CBV causing fluttering.

Forge S60R CBV by Martini_277, on Flickr
      IPD R Boost Gauge by Martini_277, on Flickr

Here is a engine bay shot as of April 2014

Bay shot as of April 2013. Volvo S60R by Martini_277, on Flickr

I also fell into the madness at the time and I plastidipped my grille. I decided to leave the actual "cheese grate" or whatever you call it unplastidipped for aesthetics. I recently plastidipped the whole grille though.

Plastidipped R grill by Martini_277, on Flickr

About a week after, I did a full exterior detail of the R. I'm a mediocre detailer, I know how to work a DA polisher well, but I kinda blow at using a rotary polisher. I also took the time to polish the sh*t out of my Pegs. But before I decided to polish it, I went ahead and changed the Volvo letters on the trunk to V O L V O lettering. I think it makes for a great look, I don't know why Volvo only put them on the '04-'05 Rs.

S60R volvo emblem by Martini_277, on Flickr
      S60R V O L V O by Martini_277, on Flickr

Here are some pics when I polished the paint/Pegs. I used Mr. Pink and the MTM Foam gun for the washing. Then I used my drill DA polisher with Meguiars final polish. Lastly, I applied a layer of 50/50 Chem Guys Paste Wax.

Foamy S60R by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Foamy S60R 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Volvo S60R Magic Blue Paint by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Magic Blue Volvo S60R 3 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Last edited by MvI_S60R; 07-06-2016 at 01:41 PM.
      '06 S60R GT | Blurple w/Sport Kit | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Hilton Stage 2.25 | DevilsOwn W/M | IPD:3" Oval Catless Exhaust | HD CA's | Adj. Toe Bars | Trunk Brace | Snabb: Turbo Intake | Airbox | Big FMIC | Synapse DV | Colder Plugs | XC90 Trans Cooler | Strut Brace | Subframe Brace | 20mm R/Spacers | 90mm Studs | Fancy Rotors | A-Pillar Boost/Trans/Volt Gauges | ScanGauge II | All Lights HID | My BUILD THREAD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

So from April all the way to June 2014, I've been working saving up for a FMIC kit. Towards the end of June, I pulled the trigger on Kristians Snabb ULTIMATE FMIC aka Big bill. But when I pulled that trigger, it pulled out almost my entire savings account....
      I was very impressed with the quality of the kit and the intercooler itself. His instructions are well written, but I used it just for bolt sizes if you know what you're doing. At the time, I did it in my parents house, in their gigantic porch because it is big and air flows by easily as it was hottt those couple days. Here are a few photos of the IC and the kit.

Snabb FMIC 1 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Snabb FMIC 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Snabb FMIC 3 by Martini_277, on Flickr

So front start to end, the FMIC took me 3 days. I did run into a lot of problems, primarily towards the end of the process. Ripping everything out from the car and doing a thorough cleaning of the engine bay. I spent 3 hours at least cleaning under there. I got the throttle body cleaned up and I also got some oil and filth out from the side of the block. The engine itself was very clean, no corrosion and no caked on filth because, again, engine is lower mileage.

Snabb FMIC 4 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Snabb FMIC 5 S60R throttle body by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Snabb FMIC 6 S60R throttle body cleaned by Martini_277, on Flickr

On day 2, I started to put the silicone in and start to dry fit everything in. I didn't run into many clearance problems as far as the pipes go. I would say the hardest one is charge pipe to throttle body. You either have to have small hands or a good vantage point to get to it and tighten the f*ck out of it so it would slide out. The absolute hardest part was getting the actual intercooler on the car. I had a lot of clearance issues with it. I mean to the point where it is 3 inches off the center point of the car.
      So I had to take the crash bar off and cut into it to make room for the IC end tank to be able to clear the AC condenser on the left side. I know it isnt the best idea, but its the only choice after I tried pushing the radiator assembly backwards. But after I got the IC in, drilled and set, I spent the latter part of day 3 and a little of day 4 putting everything back together. I have been reaping the FMIC rewards since. Much better acceleration, sustained boost and less boost lag. Especially here in the winter, it drives like a bullet now.

Snabb FMIC 8 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Snabb FMIC 7 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Snabb FMIC 9 by Martini_277, on Flickr

So about a month after the FMIC, into September, I was able to order some spacers. I got 10MM up front and 15MM in the rear. I will say, put anti-seize between the spacer and the rotor. The spacers got so stuck between the two and it was close to impossible to tear it off without getting the spacer out of balance. I think it turned out great. I never liked Rs that have the rear wheels so much in, it doesn't really add to the look unless its slammed. I got them from FCP on sale. As you might catch in the photo below, you will see my strut brace and rear brace. They make a WORLD of difference in R handling. The front brace was much easy to install, the rear one took some weird movements to fondle the bolts in.

S60R Pre Spacers by Martini_277, on Flickr
      S60R pre spacers 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr

Post Spacers

Post spacers 1 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Post spacers 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr

A few months after the spacers, I went ahead and converted all the lights up front to HID. I have a big thread on how to do the DRLs to HID, it took me a really long time to figure out what the problems were with it, its all detailed in that thread though. I decided to go with Kensun ballasts for the DRLs, 35W. I think that they look great and are not too bright when people pass by on the road. For the fogs, I used Cmod_R's build thread on how to set them up. I bought new aftermarket fogs, the ones that don't have fluting on the front of the glass. I used a 55W DDM kit with 15000K bulbs. I siliconed waaayyyy more than he did though. I used a full tube of it between the two. I also have 0 connectors anywhere in the foglight setup. I mean from to the car to the kit, I cut and soldered everything. I can't fully pull the front bumper away from the car more than 6 feet without splicing then soldering again, but I'd prefer that instead of risking getting water into the connectors. I also used liquid electric tape to seal the ballasts and all the connections, its better than any shrink tubing or electrical tape. They are so bright that I illuminate 2-story houses from ground to chimney on the road. I get flashed but not that often, you can aim them down but I like them up real high. I will post some photos of my foglight setup once I rip the front bumper off again sometime.

Volvo S60R HID DRLs 1 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Volvo S60R Magic Blue full HID lighting by Martini_277, on Flickro
      '06 S60R GT | Blurple w/Sport Kit | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Hilton Stage 2.25 | DevilsOwn W/M | IPD:3" Oval Catless Exhaust | HD CA's | Adj. Toe Bars | Trunk Brace | Snabb: Turbo Intake | Airbox | Big FMIC | Synapse DV | Colder Plugs | XC90 Trans Cooler | Strut Brace | Subframe Brace | 20mm R/Spacers | 90mm Studs | Fancy Rotors | A-Pillar Boost/Trans/Volt Gauges | ScanGauge II | All Lights HID | My BUILD THREAD

After the lighting project, I decided to swap to some snow tires. Last winter was a PITA with All seasons, so I got Michelin Pilot Aplin PA3's and I love them. Compared to others, these grip the best on dry pavement and have the least noise, at least to the reviewers. They go grip like hell to snow though, didn't slip once in inches of snow/slush.

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 1 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Michelin Sport Alpin PA3 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr

This past weekend, I also plastidipped my Pegs. I don't like matte Pegs too much, but I've spent so much time polishing them that I don't want salt to ruin them. Also, the tire machine scuffed the paint a little but when I mounted the snow tires.
      I polished the hell out of the paint again then I plastidipped them. For those wondering, I cut a folded trash bag in half and wrapped the rotors. They are so big that I had to tape the bag to itself, it wouldn't wrap all the way around it. But they turned out good for now, I will rip the plastidip off right after I mount the summer tires.

Plastidipping Pegs by Martini_277, on Flickr
      S60R winter mode by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Plasti Pegs 1 by Martini_277, on Flickr

That's one pretty R

Looking good.

I think it looks great. Keep it up.
      2004 S60R 6MT Black Sapphire/Gobi
      Intake, FMIC, 3" turbo-back, Short Shift, Under-drive Pulley, Elevate tune, Strut brace
      2006 Ducati Monster S2R1000

The last photos with the black pegs may have convinced me to do the same to mine...
      2005 S60R M66 | Magic Blue | Atacama | OBX DP |

That's a way great find of an R. I like where you are taking it too.
      1989 740 Turbo Plus, M46, red leather, and a few mods
      2004 S60R The Phoenix
      2000 V70R Sobek - Sold to my brother
      1976 245 Cthulhu - new project
      1995 940 Thor - something diesel awaits

Quote Originally Posted by titan joe View Post
      That's a way great find of an R. I like where you are taking it too.
      Thanks, hopefully when this thread is a few years older, I will have her built in and out fully

I like it!
      2006 S60R, ELECTACAMA original owner, 6 SPD AUTO, BODYKIT, FULL SUSPENSION, JZW TUNE, 20G..B5244T5, EXHAUST DUMP
      2006 XC90 5 pot project...NOW HAS B5244T5/16T, SOON K24...OR CAVALLI...

So I took advantage of the deals on FCP.com and I got a Poly torque rod. I got it for $35 which is a great deal compared to the other $160 version. I got out the original rubber torque rod and it should be a crime as to how beat that thing was. The ProParts one was very stiff and looked good. Well when I was torquing it in, the stud thread busted! I was just doing hand ratchet, not even that tight on it and it busted. Maybe because it was cold but I think it was a defective little thing. The stud then got stuck in the nut which I had to drill out to install it back in.The other stud did make it and I got that one tight. Soon I will get another one and install that with less torque.

Stock S60R torque rod by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Busted PPS torque rod by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Last edited by MvI_S60R; 03-03-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Nice build thread.

Very detailed on the snabb fmic install.

Keep it up.
      2005 SR GT Steveo tune | IPD catback | EST dp | K an N drop in | IPD CAI | CX Racing FMIC | Snabb Intake | Forge CBV
      2005 SR M66 aka Pitogo's old R.

Instagram r_mayor

Nice man! Love the paint and after polish work.
      Electric Silver 06 S60R 6SPD GT. Build thread here
      Follow my obsession on Instagram: @kay_yass https://www.instagram.com/kay_yass/
      Quote Originally Posted by rmorse View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by AthruC View Post
      It is flaccid in nature, and makes me uncomfortable to talk about.
      Ugh. Story of my life.

As a few of you may see, I started a thread on the poly torque mount. I got a new one from Eeuroparts.com, which sells it cheaper than FCP and actually came with new nuts. I love this thing, shifts are so better and the car feels all around more tight. I do get some vibrations from it, but I did a ECU reset and that helped for some reason. I def recommend this to any R owner. Here is the link to where I got her.

Torque Rod Comp. 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Torque Rod Comp. by Martini_277, on Flickr
      PPS poly torque rod by Martini_277, on Flickr
      PPS torque rod installed by Martini_277, on Flickr

Finally got enough dough to do the sport kit!! I decided to go with Elevate only on the fact they are cheaper and I think they make the car look a lot more complete. I plan on getting them painted and mounted in March. They look good, came all the way from Cali pretty fast. The pass side skirt is botched a little bit so I'll need to do a bunch of sanding. I may also post a separate thread to debunk Elevate skirts, if they work well for me..

Elevate skirts 1 by Martini_277, on Flickr Elevate skirts 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr

You lucky magnificent bastard!

Sent from Tapatalk because the people around me are boring.
      Ugh. Story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by khalil_y View Post
      You lucky magnificent bastard!

I've never felt so contradicted yet complimented at the same time..

Quote Originally Posted by MvI_S60R View Post
      I've never felt so contradicted yet complimented at the same time..
      Lmao! I'm jelly of the sport kit. I want one and want to get dual exhaust for the car.

Ugh. Story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by khalil_y View Post
      Lmao! I'm jelly of the sport kit. I want one and want to get dual exhaust for the car.

I have been wanting to get one since I've owned it as well. It's not too bad, $400 for skirts and $275 for rear valence (winglets are too low for my neighborhood). Yes I had to delay a brake job a month but hey, I may not be able to stop but it will look good trying to!

Good job! Post pics once you install the skirts.

Very nice!
      2006 S60R, ELECTACAMA original owner, 6 SPD AUTO, BODYKIT, FULL SUSPENSION, JZW TUNE, 20G..B5244T5, EXHAUST DUMP
      2006 XC90 5 pot project...NOW HAS B5244T5/16T, SOON K24...OR CAVALLI...

Recently got these maintenance items for a steal. I got PPS front control arms bushes and the ball joints from Eeuro; then Powerflex rear bushes from ViVA. I got the rear pads from Eeuro for $60, then I will order front pads from Advanced Auto for $52 after discounts so $112 for Akebono pads all around . I will soon acquire some Adams Rotors as soon as I decide what design I fancy from them. Wanted to install everything today but the high was 8 degrees out....

S60R maintain 1 by Martini_277, on Flickr

If anyone has heard about my Tasca debacle, Steve drop shipped me the rear valence directly from Volvo and it was the right one this time. The broken, painted valence you see on the floor is the one Tasca sent at first... The sport valence also came with the little cap and new mounting things

Rear Valence 1 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Rear Valence 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr

Subscribed. We'll have to get together sometime once this weather clears up (you know, in 6 months )
      2006 XC90 V8 Ocean Race 561/800
      1998 C70 HPT-M Mystic Silver/Charcoal

Quote Originally Posted by timojq View Post
      Subscribed. We'll have to get together sometime once this weather clears up (you know, in 6 months )
      Yea I know, this winter as been over whelmingly cold. But yea do let me know about your springs when you do coilovers!

Will do. I'll get a hold of you next time I drive out that way, I'm going back and forth between Mentor and Minerva at least twice a month for work.
      2006 XC90 V8 Ocean Race 561/800
      1998 C70 HPT-M Mystic Silver/Charcoal

I feel your pain... said -8 F on my R today when I fired her up. I'm just happy she started. Original battery just keeps on going strong.
      07 S60R Electric Slvr/Nordkap 6MT RaceS60R FMIC, IPD Sways, Spec Stg3+ SMF, PDV Collar Sleeve, Hybrid K24, RS4 MAF, Devils Own Meth & Contrast Tune
      01 Audi S4 Silver/Black, Tial 605's, JHM, VAST tune, EST, Aquamist, etc. 475 awhp @25psi
      93 Mustang Cobra Black/Black, Incon Twin Turbo, Fully Built 347" engine, Megasquirt, Full MM suspension, etc. ~550rwhp @8psi

Decided to dip me dome light. Preparing to hopefully wrap the A-pillars black sometime. Just rip it off the ceiling and dip it with 4-6 coats so it'l peel. You can just peel it off the clear parts for the lights when it is all the way dry.

S60R dipped dome light by Martini_277, on Flickr
      S60R dipped dome light 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      S60R dipped dome light 3 by Martini_277, on Flickr

Cheated on the Akebonos for Porterfields. Don't tell her tho, she's jealous

S60R Porterfield R4-S by Martini_277, on Flickr
      S60R Porterfield R4-S 2.1 by Martini_277, on Flickr

Finally got them after some shipping troubles. Will be mounting these next weekend.

Adams Rotors S60R by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Last edited by MvI_S60R; 03-03-2016 at 11:20 PM.

So I spent from 1pm to 1am swapping all rotors and pads. The rears took up the afternoon getting stuck on the parking brake, but the fronts went smooth. The majority of the time was cleaning things (7 cans of brakeKleen) and putting anti seize all over. Went for a bed-in session at 1 am and it went very well. Got them very hot and I think they are bedding in well. The paint on the rotors started to bubble which is where I called it done.

So far I really like the new Porterfield and drill/drill/slot setup. Towards the end of the bed sesh, they were biting hard enough to slam the cover door on the sunroof closed hard. There is a little silver strip around the outside of the rotor which Ill investigate if it doesn't go away, don't know what it is. Looking into April here, I have the body kit to be painted and then a full paint correction then the engine bay rework and tune.

Volvo S60R front pads by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Volvo s60R front pads 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Volvo S69R front brake rotors by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Volvo S60R Brake rotor bubbles by Martini_277, on Flickr
      For my record: Oil@108250 TransFluid@108000
      Last edited by MvI_S60R; 03-03-2016 at 11:23 PM.

Finally got my summer tires!! This week is going to be a bit crazy. Tomorow we are mounting these tires, then I have fuel work to do right after, then I get to FINALLY mount the body kit before the weekend then I have a full paint correction/seal planned for sat and sun. These are Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's. I decided to go full 245/40ZR18 at all four corners for added stability and whatnot. Also will be ripping the plastidip off the Pegs to ring in the summer

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta by Martini_277, on Flickr
      Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 5 by Martini_277, on Flickr

Installed the sport kit Saturday! I've been waiting since January to finally get them mounted and I couldn't be happier with the look. The install went pretty smooth, I would definitely recommend the Elevate skirts. I used double sided tape for the top, rivets on the ends and self tappers with rubber washers to the frame on the bottom. The drivers side fit like a glove but the pass side needed a little cutting and I would say needed to be a mm longer to fit in perfect. Im now deciding what to do with the front bumper, I'm thinking STI lip. But they're on and I love the new look, especially the rear end

Volvo S60R Elevate Sport Kit by Martini_277, on Flickr Volvo S60R Elevate Sport Kit 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr Volvo S60R Elevate Sport Kit 3 by Martini_277, on Flickr Volvo S60R Elevate Sport Kit 4 by Martini_277, on Flickr Volvo S60R Elevate Sport Kit 5 by Martini_277, on Flickr

I also got a new K&N cone filter and NGK plugs for the tune next month. I plan to delete the airbox and make a custom intake with a R Kelly Mod jamming air into the top of the filter

Quote Originally Posted by MvI_S60R View Post
      Installed the sport kit Saturday! I've been waiting since January to finally get them mounted and I couldn't be happier with the look. The install went pretty smooth, I would definitely recommend the Elevate skirts. I used double sided tape for the top, rivets on the ends and self tappers with rubber washers to the frame on the bottom. The drivers side fit like a glove but the pass side needed a little cutting and I would say needed to be a mm longer to fit in perfect. Im now deciding what to do with the front bumper, I'm thinking STI lip. But they're on and I love the new look, especially the rear end

Volvo S60R Elevate Sport Kit by Martini_277, on Flickr Volvo S60R Elevate Sport Kit 2 by Martini_277, on Flickr Volvo S60R Elevate Sport Kit 3 by Martini_277, on Flickr Volvo S60R Elevate Sport Kit 4 by Martini_277, on Flickr Volvo S60R Elevate Sport Kit 5 by Martini_277, on Flickr

I also got a new K&N cone filter and NGK plugs for the tune next month. I plan to delete the airbox and make a custom intake with a R Kelly Mod jamming air into the top of the filter
      That color... OMG I'm in love
      2005 S60R GT : Carbon front lip, AEM Truboost gauge, EST Downpipe and Touring Exhaust. StopTech slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, SuperBlue Racing fluid, iPd HD ignition coils, iPd V70R track sway bars, iPd rear toe arms, GROM audio

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast